why do all tire shops inflate tires to fricking 40psi? ive never even seen a car recommend 40psi tire pressure

why do all tire shops inflate tires to fricking 40psi? ive never even seen a car recommend 40psi tire pressure

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

1. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

air compressor go brrrrr
    psssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuugh

2. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

threadly reminder to drain your air compressor

3. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

40 is pretty average these days. Plenty of vehicles with stupid low profile tires run 45 or more. Pickup truck and van tires can be 80psi on some trims. 98% of vehicles will fall in between 32-40psi range so it's safe to just set them at 40 and not risk a callback when the temp drops a degree and the customers TPMS system shits a chicken.

Also when your tires are 35psi cold they're going to be 40psi or more when they have some heat into them.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

My dads Tahoe recommends 32psi. morons at the tire shop inflated them to 40psi then he went on the highway and 2 tires blew out due to too much air pressure in them

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

What kind of terrible tires blow out from 8 psi over?

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

the tires sidewall actually said max pressure was like 45psi and it was hot as frick that day so prolly went over 50psi

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Actually, low tire pressure causes more heat because more contact surface means more friction which equals more heat. So over inflating means cooler running tires

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

No, the heat is primarily caused by the overflexed sidewall doing more mechanical work against itself and a function of literally less air in the tire which holds less heat. The grip difference from even 8-10PSI under isn't significant enough to contribute.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

This is the most moronic thing I've read this week

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

What kind of dogshit SUV tire breaks open at 50psi? Thought all decent tires go to 80.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

iirc they were yokohama ATs

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Max pressure is cold fill

Actually, low tire pressure causes more heat because more contact surface means more friction which equals more heat. So over inflating means cooler running tires

90s Ford explorers and Firestone had a problem with this you can read about. For some reason Henry recommended 25 psi. Then blamed Firestone when the tires kept popping off.

Anyway when I worked tire shop everything got 35psi except trucks where I'd actually check. They're probably looking at max cold fill because they're moronic. Lot of people actually don't know to check the car not the tire.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

homie got LingLongs lmfao shitty ass tires couldn’t take a few psi over rating

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

bahahahahhahaha what kind of bullshit is this? some stancegays seriously run ONE HUNDRED psi (not exaggerating) on their little rubber band tires and dont have catastrophic failure like that. i bet you there was something else already wrong with those tires and the summer heat was what eventually blew those things up, not the psi.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

>saleswoman at work comes in with her Sebring vert
          >"the low tire light was on but I kept adding air and it wouldn't go away"
          >car says left front was low
          >put digital gauge on tire
          >108psi
          >shitshitshitshit
          >last time the tires were rotated they didn't relearn the tpms sensors

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Yeah so you're now aware that the MAX PSI rating on a tire -is- a cold rating and normal driving heat only adds 2.5-3.5PSI depending on vehicle speed and load.

https://i.imgur.com/96NoYAQ.jpg

It's because [insert shop] is run by scum who do it intentionally to stress the sidewalls

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

You understand that its low pressure that stresses the sidewall, correct?

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

You're obviously too poor to have challenger series tires

4. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

I run 100psi in my truck, helps with mpgs a lot, if I coast in neutral the frickin thing rolls forever

5. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

A lot of wrench turners are moronic. When I was a mechanic, every car that came in my bay had the tire pressures set to what the door placard says and I checked the spare tire for them as well. 90% of spares have little to no air in them because nobody checks them.
    >get older Mercedes in
    >check spare
    >"product of West Germany" stamped on the side
    >very cautiously add air to it
    >tire held
    >sigh of relief

6. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

I inflate the train tyres to 200 psi before each driving shift starts

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *