Why Do New Cars Spy On You?

>Mozilla found brands including BMW, Ford, Toyota, Tesla, and Subaru collect data about drivers including race, facial expressions, weight, health information, and where you drive. Some of the cars tested collected data you wouldn’t expect your car to know about, including details about sexual activity, race, and immigration status, according to Mozilla.

Do you drive new or old cars?

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>posted from my Android

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>non-sequitur

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Yes, GrapeneOS is Android

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

you actually think Applel is better?

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Money.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I dont have a car though I do need to buy one but I am fricking terrified of this shit

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Wouldnt be relatively easy to just disconnect the antenna? AFAIK most cars have a seperate module for connecting to WiFi/Cell networks. The only issue would be if it threw up an error code.

The real question is when are we going to see FOSS car software?

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>connecting your car to the internet
    nothingburger unless it sends info without internet and privacy agreement, which is illegal

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

"You can't transmit data unless I agree."
      Ever heard of a bot-net?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

were talking about real shit schizo

>he thinks he gets to choose if his car connects to the internet

yes? Are you saying the car will come with a built in modem that has service anywhere my home could be? I just won't connect it to my home internet and it will be done

>nothingburger unless it sends info without internet and privacy agreement, which is illegal
        You have to sign on the dotted line to buy the car in the first place. Sorry bub, if you don't like it walk.

if i see a privacy notice when signing to buy a car im turning 360 degrees and walking away
        or taking it to a proper mechanic to have the wireless features stripped off

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Are you saying the car will come with a built in modem that has service anywhere my home could be?
          They come with built in LTE, yes.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

then why could I not modify it to get free internet? Any why can I not simply remove the modem or antenna?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>then why could I not modify it to get free internet? Any why can I not simply remove the modem or antenna?
            Because the car's computer will notice and then give you a "need service" warning light and refuse to start.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

is there any provable instances of this happening?

>Any why can I not simply remove the modem or antenna?
            no, they thought of this, so the LTE modem is built directly into the ECU. you cant remove it, rip of the antenna, but that shit is using 2g to transmit anyway.. or maybe even 3g, so it wont even need an antenna

are ECUs replaceable? I know cargays love customizing their shit

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>are ECUs replaceable? I know cargays love customizing their shit
            yes, look up Haltech

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Any why can I not simply remove the modem or antenna?
            no, they thought of this, so the LTE modem is built directly into the ECU. you cant remove it, rip of the antenna, but that shit is using 2g to transmit anyway.. or maybe even 3g, so it wont even need an antenna

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You just activated the kill switch.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/4xa8om5.jpg

your move

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous Mogul

>or taking it to a proper mechanic to have the wireless features stripped off
          That would void your 100K mile warranty, you don't want to do that

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>nothingburger unless it sends info without internet and privacy agreement, which is illegal
      You have to sign on the dotted line to buy the car in the first place. Sorry bub, if you don't like it walk.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>he thinks he gets to choose if his car connects to the internet

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

If you've ever taken your car to the dealership, or some independent mechanics, they pull all the black box data off the car when they're servicing it. That then gets uploaded to the manufacturer and sold to data brokers. The dealership/mechanic gets a kickback. No wireless connection necessary

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>sells you an electric car so much cheaper that it barely costs more than an ICE mid range car even though it's more expensive to produce
        >tesla pays a lifetime of internet access for the car for 'your convenience'
        >there is an array of microphones and cameras monitoring your every move
        >car phones home all the time anyways

Jesus christ you fricking Black folk are either clueless or you glow hard. The data collection in teslas and other cars is a matter of deciding to pick up a $100 bill from the ground or just leave it be. Connect the fricking dots, it makes no sense for Tesla to decline free money.

the thing I don't get is; how does this data has any value
        who the frick is paying to know a bunch of schmucks id doing some 9-5 commute and going to his parents on the week end ?
        if it was purely the state doing it I would get it because they're a much of control freaks, but companies getting any value out of that information ??

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

marketing, theyre treating you like a number in auschwitz

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

my sister get paid to post food stuff on instagram, she barely has 30k followers and still get 500-1000 euros per post
            she never work with the brands directly but always trough advertisement agencies and they have moronic budgets, its ridiculous

I really think that advertisement agency are being paid stupid amount of money by clueless brands for the shit they do
            so they say, they need XXX millions to do do research on the customer, and just buy useless data to have something to show for, I think that 's all it is, there is no value in 99% of all data it's just scammer overcharging for nothing

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

they can use it to build models that predict our behaviour under different situations and figure out how to manipulate us better
          each individual datapoint isn't worth much but if you have millions then they are incredibly valuable

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Sorry dude, but you are deeply naive.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

this position was plausible in 2010
          if you really think this now then you are being willfully moronic

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>how does this data has any value
          >Car with registration XY12345 drives like a frickwit hey insurance company you interested?
          You're not very bright.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

always annoys me to read such filthy ignorant dumbass like you here. feels like DA is filled with clueless karens now. educate yourself idiot.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

It is the state in part, specifically american 3 letter agencies, chinese intelligence et al. They helped to found social media companies in SV and mine a lot of that data for their own purposes.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>doing some 9-5 commute
          There is a tax for that now.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Imagine being this naive. Cars have been phoning home for years.

This is a car, not a home. It's always been a public space.
      [...]
      Isn't this the own nothing guy? Nothing to do with the topic at hand.

>This is a car, not a home. It's always been a public space.
      Imagine being this moronic. You must live in San Fransisco where they leave their cars unlocked and the doors open so crackheads don't break their windows.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>officially too moronic to get a license
    Your move, big car manufacturers.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>the cars collected data about race and immigration status
    This sounds exceptionally useful for when we finally start the mass deportations (/genocide).

• 2 months ago
      Helpless Investor

What is the plan for TND? AI bioweapons?

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Got a new Toyota on order, disabling that shit as soon as I get it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I read you can pull the DCM fuse (Data Communications Module) but somethings like customized gauges may not stick. YMMV.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>buy brand new car
      >immediately void warranty
      seems smart. you won't even be allowed to access the mandated recalls that you know it's going to have, because some pajeet used a 3 where it was supposed to be an 8

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Removing tracking voids your warranty
        Which shithole are you from?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

you think you're allowed to make ANY modifications to your vehicle without voiding warranty?
          if they could, manufacturers would leave you up shit creek for changing your wiper blades yourself
          they'd absolutely tell you that phone-home telemetry is necessary for the safe and expected operation if the vehicle so any attempts to circumvent that cannot be covered by warranty

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You’re fricking moronic. You can make any modification you want without voiding the warranty. It’s protected in the US under the Magnuson-Moss Act. What’s not protected is the warranty of the component directly damaged by your modification. The dealer/automaker has to prove your modification caused the damage.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>pajeet used a 3 where it was supposed to be an 8

I don't buy pajeet cars.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

void warranty

data collection in settings

This isn't fricking tinfoil hat stuff, you just turn if off you idiot.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>he thinks """turning it off""" means it doesn't still collect and send data
          you, the user, simply lose access to those features. the actual hardware still operates.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Prove it.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>we won't use your data, honest!
            Not good enough. Let me flash an open sourced built from source software or remove the hardware for wireless communication.

>tinfoil hat stuff

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Didn't GM literally just get in "trouble" over this? Trouble in quotes because a few people noticed,l and big media took the story even less than they took the Mozilla story about car privacy.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>we won't use your data, honest!
          Not good enough. Let me flash an open sourced built from source software or remove the hardware for wireless communication.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Let me flash an open sourced built from source software

OSS brainrot.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Tesla spies on you
    >because uhh handful of Autopilot accidents over the last decade
    How does this argument even work here?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>sells you an electric car so much cheaper that it barely costs more than an ICE mid range car even though it's more expensive to produce
      >tesla pays a lifetime of internet access for the car for 'your convenience'
      >there is an array of microphones and cameras monitoring your every move
      >car phones home all the time anyways

Jesus christ you fricking Black folk are either clueless or you glow hard. The data collection in teslas and other cars is a matter of deciding to pick up a $100 bill from the ground or just leave it be. Connect the fricking dots, it makes no sense for Tesla to decline free money.

9. 2 months ago
    Poor Investor

unironically i'm thinking about finding an old VW beetle and getting one of the electric conversion kits for it.
    >muh sovl ICE engine
    don't want to deal with gas prices sorry

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>convert beetle into cuckmobile
      >Poor Investor
      how appropriate

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

2002-2014 dumb ford falcon owner here lol infotainment is a scam

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Black person

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

what are .gov regulations?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

why do you think you're getting spied on in the first place?

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I drive a 1988 Nissan Patrol Diesel with an AM radio, analogue odometer, no immobilizer and no DPF. Unless the botnet can get in through the cigarette lighter, I think im ok.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>car company now knows I'm an overweight slavic incel subhuman
    What now? I'm getting ads for vodka and Fleshlights if I disable my adblockers?

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

your move

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

(thats an ECU you set up yourself, btw)

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I drive a 14 year old car still it has moronic shit like a electronic gas pedal which are always the parts that break. Where can I find a car that is fully mechanical with a phone mount that gets connected to wired speakers?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

get an NA Mazda Miata and change the radio for a new one

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

This is why I bought a volvo xc90 from 2013 and I will ride it until it cannot be fixed anymore.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Every car since 2005 has a blackbox that records everything
    >Almost every car now phones home
    >Doing anything voids your warranty
    What the frick, when did my world become cyberpunk?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The world isnt cyberpunk, cyberpunk has fun aspects and aesthetics.
      The world is a boring version of cyberpunk.

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Why Do New Cars Spy On You?
    Because they know most people are apathetic cucks that will not and can not do anything about it.

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>mozilla found
    Firefox is turning into spyware too, maybe that's what they should start investigating

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The same reason they're designed to eat their own excretions in order to clog up
    Money

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

You morons realize they have those warnings there because sub-50 IQ morons (like yourself) have done incredibly stupid shit and then tried to sue the companies over it.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

The real morons are the ones that buy slopmobiles that have to be hooked up to expensive manufacturer approved diagnostic machines just to reprogram a headlamp
        capitalism status: resisted

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I own a Tesla Model 3 and I don't care if I'm being monitored. Should I care? What should I worry about?

Currently paying $90 a month in full comprehensive insurance because they monitor my driving and give me a good driver's discount.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous
      • 2 months ago
        Anonymous

This is a car, not a home. It's always been a public space.

https://i.imgur.com/lWocUDo.jpg

Isn't this the own nothing guy? Nothing to do with the topic at hand.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

You don't even own your driving style you are a plastic man living an artificial existence sitting in your microwave and eating your synthetic slop
          sad

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Own a driving style? Plastic man? Why does this guy sound like a boomer with brain worms.

People like you do not deserve human rights and human status.

Why? Just cause I don't have schizophrenia?

ACTUALLY SPEAKING, cars are considered private property under US law, protected by the Constitution.

Then why can't I legally have sex or jerk off in my car?

• 2 months ago
            Fledgling Investor

>Then why can't I legally have sex or jerk off in my car?
            europoors really live like this?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Idk, I'm from the USA.

• 2 months ago
            Fledgling Investor

you arent american if you havent lost your virginity in a car

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

What implies I didn't?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Then why can't I legally have sex or jerk off in my car?
            Unfortunately they have little to no understanding of the Constitution and most laws, as they specifically hire the mentally challenged. But the reason they don't have to care about violating a citizen's rights is because they are rarely ever convicted due to exploiting qualified immunity, something created by judges. Seems alright in principle but abused every second (zero accountability).

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

People like you do not deserve human rights and human status.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

ACTUALLY SPEAKING, cars are considered private property under US law, protected by the Constitution.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous
  23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I always had a feeling my Subaru was recording me eating my boogers. Frick you Subaru I will keep eating my boogers.

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

it is literally illegal in europe to manufacture new cars that aren't filled with spywares cause that would be ""unsafe""

I ride a bicycle, no license plate, no gasoline imported from the arabs (i don't like the arabs)

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Horses are good options too. Your horse can shit everywhere on your behalf.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>owning the globalists anti-car agenda by not having a car

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>(i don't like the arabs)
      You didn't have to write that anon
      [spoiler]no one does

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

found the solution. jannies, you can delete the thread now.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

1. Literally, unironically, categorically a felony
      2. I dont want cancer thx

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>1. Literally, unironically, categorically a felony
        only a crime if you get caught
        >2. I dont want cancer thx
        not how it works.

anyway.. not a complicated process to block such shit. any moron with a search engine and a spanner could disable the mobile connections, gps etc.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Disable internet
          >It gets logged
          Not seeing how this is a solution

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

internet
            >It gets logged
            it'll only log that it's lost mobile reception.

is that a jammer? prepare to get pulled over the second you cross a police car

>is that a jammer?
            yeah.
            >prepare to get pulled over the second you cross a police car
            frick the police.

Doesn't jam sneakernet (hardware data tx at dealer/repair shop)
            [...]
            It's a jammer, you WILL get caught if you're anywhere near a city or antenna array

>you WILL get caught if you're anywhere near a city or antenna array
            see:
            >frick the police.
            but agreed. kinda dumb.

• 2 months ago
            Fledgling Investor

hope you arent black

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

i am a white man with an enormous penis, fledgling fricking homosexual. if you think it's just criminals or Blacks using these jammers then you're getting way too fricking high off of your own methane.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

anon... using it automatically makes you a criminal

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

?t=29

• 2 months ago
      Fledgling Investor

is that a jammer? prepare to get pulled over the second you cross a police car

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Doesn't jam sneakernet (hardware data tx at dealer/repair shop)

>1. Literally, unironically, categorically a felony
      only a crime if you get caught
      >2. I dont want cancer thx
      not how it works.

anyway.. not a complicated process to block such shit. any moron with a search engine and a spanner could disable the mobile connections, gps etc.

It's a jammer, you WILL get caught if you're anywhere near a city or antenna array

26. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

i want a car without internet, bluetooth, or a touch screen. 🙁

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Wish I could wrench so I could refurbish and maintain something like picrel.
      Not necessarily this one, just a 4 door sedan (non-convertible) with the old boxy look of the 70/80s.
      I don't even know enough about cars to look for a different manufacturer/model as a better example.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

damn 70s colours.. but always liked how those lincolns looked.

i want to go back to this holden kingswood of same era. that fricker was comfy as frick.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

it's honestly not that hard especially with the amount of tuto available, old cars are also a lot simpler than modern ones, pic related is what I drive
        the biggest problem with old cars is rust

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Very nice, it's crazy what they did to the grills over the years

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

The problem with older cars is that they aren't very safe. Airbags and crumple zones do a lot to keep you alive. Especially with the number of massive SUVs and trucks these people drive. I'm not willing to take the risk.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Personally I wouldn't give much a frick about that. My life has no value.
            Insurance on a 70s car is probably hell, though.

27. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Manufacturers love it because it provides valuable marketing and performance analysis data.
    GlowBlack folk love it because it gives them real-time access to tracking any vehicle and who is currently in it. Potentially backdoors to remotely disable the cars too.
    Welcome to the future, you thought you could drive over the glowBlack folk with your car, but it's your car that glows in the dark the most.

28. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>tfw my car uses pic rel for gas and a rod for steering

nsa is going to cut my break lines by hand if they want me in a fatal car crash

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Nah they'll just remotely crash someone else into you.

29. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

2012 Accord fully loaded EXCEPT for the shitty GPS here. The more I hear about this modern botshit in the latest cars I love my car even more than I already did. Maybe people with new cars can rig some kind of faraday cage or find a way to feed the system bullshit data for fun.

30. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

more money = line go up.
    simple as.

31. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

the only electric things in my car are the battery, the lights, the ignition coil and the stereo
    hippies can wrench it from my cold, dead garage

32. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm going to drive my 2001 Eddie Bauer Subaru Outback until I die or am in jail for killing whoever makes me give up the car. 200k miles and doesn't afraid of anything

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *