Why does almost every car have the differential ring gear on the left side?

Why does almost every car have the differential ring gear on the left side? Are there any with the ring gear on the right?

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Naw frick that nonsense the real question is why do FWD cars that would benefit from an LSD not have a simple 1-way from the factory.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Cost

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

then why the frick do they have taillights that cost 3000€ to replace?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Thats what you pay.
          It had cost them a fration of that but no one would scrap a car that is 5 years old over a broken taillight.
          But people woukd scrap a 15yo car over 3000€ taillight

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Cars need tail lights. FWD cars do not need LSDs.

The cost of said tail light will depend on the cost of the car when new, the size of the tail light and the complexity of its mouldings (much of which is determined by the style), the number of cars produced per year and how much the OEM wants to gouge its customers.

Which particular car are you thinking of that has €3000 tail lights?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>FWD cars do not need LSDs
            Love my Si and its LSD.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I never suggested that for people who press on a bit an LSD would not be of benefit. But for the vast majority of FWD econobox drivers they would not benefit at all, and may be put off by some of the straight-line stability issues a cheap, badly set LSD can exhibit.

This is why the "sporty" version of econoboxes will often have an LSD - well, that and the marketing appeal to the sort of driver that wants a sporty econobox

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

#1 way to get consumers to buy your car is looks. That's why automakers spend so much on non-functional shit that looks good.
          >hence why every modern car looks like shit

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

because it's significantly cheaper to just do the biasing with the front brakes.
      that and limited slips in front-wheel drive cars have torque steer, which people do not like.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>limited slips have torque steer
        You goober the purpose of an LSD in a FWD is so both wheels react more evenly and torque steer is considerably better controlled.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The Mazdaspeed3 has considerable torque steer even though it has an LSD from factory.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Cool story bro. Imagine how bad it would be without the lsd

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

you obviously have never driven a FWD car with torque steer.
          it's very undesirable.
          some car makers have managed to tame it(New Type R for example), but that's not usually the case.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The usual way to tame it is to limit the engine torque btw

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The Mazdaspeed3 has considerable torque steer even though it has an LSD from factory.

you're both brown and moronic pls do not redeem sars

all FWD cars have torque steer, and more torque steer from more power
            An LSD mitigates torque steer NOBODY SAID IT COMPLETELY DELETES ALL TORQUE STEER. NOONE HAS EVER SAID THAT.

>buh muh mazdaspeed 3
            >youve never drive na car with torque steer!
            My car has 270ft.lb of torque yes it has fricking torque steer, but that effect would be reduced to 20% or less if I could put an LSD in it.

You.
            Are.
            moronic.!

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you will never be white.
            or correct about FWD cars

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You are the equivalent of a youtube comment section full of bots and brainwashed 9 year olds.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>be white
            It's a shame youre kinda moronic though.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

torque steer isnt real. its facebook tier car guy bro science

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Maybe right hand drive cars? Interesting question, anon. I’m curious now, too.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Noo
    If the ring gear was on the other side the car would drive in the other direction.

It would only make sense on a car where the engine spins in thr other way round

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They literally flip the front differentials in 4x4 applications to do this.

https://i.imgur.com/wHythqr.jpeg

Here you go a diff with the ring on the right side, it's out of a h1 hummer. Anything with a portal axles should be setup this way as the input into the portal is going to spin in the reverse direction from the output. From what I was told early porsches may be a similar setup due to the rotation of the engine. I remember my dad telling me stories of early 1960s baja buggies he used to build for the baja 500 and they would use a porsche engine mated to a VW bug transaxle. They would have to flip the diff in the transaxle around because the porsche engines ran backwards to the vw engines.

Pretty sure this is the front axle.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Cuz of how the torques come out of the engin

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Are there any with the ring gear on the right?
    All of the ones with one forward gear and 6 reverse gears.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Noo
      If the ring gear was on the other side the car would drive in the other direction.

It would only make sense on a car where the engine spins in thr other way round

Only if you didn't mirror the teeth on the gears too

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Reverse cut ring & pinion is a thing.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Because almost all engines run clockwise

[...]

Do you really think that cutting the teeth in the other direction will reverse the rotation of the gears or is this a ruse?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Because almost all engines run clockwise
            Exactly - the ring gear will usually be on the same side because of this.
            It reminds me of the great bodge they often used to use on Scrapheap Challenge to get a set of wheels turning the right way once they swapped the front of a car to the rear (or vice versa); They would rotate the entire diff/axle assembly along the axis of the prop shaft (hence the ring gear on opposite side to normal), and this would then turn your 5 reverse gears into 5 forward gears again.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

[...]

HOLY FRICKING SHIT HAHAHAH

how does one become so fricking stupid, I want it too

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Probably because otherwise the pinion gear would need to have left hand splines and/or the engine would need to run backwards. Ease of assembly and production most probably.
        If memory serves, some jap car engines run "backwards" like old Mitsubishi and Honda engines, but they're all FWD.

Reverse cut ring & pinion is a thing.

Cutting a different angle on the gears isn't going to magically make them spin the other way you smoothbrains.
        The ring and pinion could have NO TEETH AT ALL - just a rubber friction wheel pinion driving a big wooden ring gear, your car will still drive backwards if you flip the ring gear to the other side.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Do you want 5 reverse gears and one forward?

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Probably because otherwise the pinion gear would need to have left hand splines and/or the engine would need to run backwards. Ease of assembly and production most probably.
    If memory serves, some jap car engines run "backwards" like old Mitsubishi and Honda engines, but they're all FWD.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Most engines turn clockwise as viewed from the front AND lower is better for strength.
    > “The key here is hypoid offset,” says Gus, “The vertical offset from the axle centerline. It’s not something that is adjustable, it’s engineered into the gear set and housing. It’s a balancing act, the more the offset, the larger your tooth contact on the gears, which has the effect of strengthening the rear end assembly. The offset also changes how the pinion shaft is loaded, with 0 offset the pinion shaft sees the load at a 90-degree angle, as the offset is increased the angle is reduced, and becomes more in line with the pinion shaft, which allows for a shorter pinion shaft to handle the leverage.”

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

If it were above the center line it would still spin the same way genius, diff gears are NOT WORM DRIVES.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *