Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

No rail?

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because you need densely populated areas to pay for the rails. The Outback is just way too sparsely populated to justify the cost of building a rail network.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Australian economics

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Australia used to have a massive network of rail with stops for fuel and water every few hours back in the steam days

If you take even a short drive through rural Australia you'll see all the now unused rail

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

They would have been maintained if profitable.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>They would have been maintained if profitable

It was, they just thought it wasn't

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>pay for the rails
      I don't see the economics for using trucks
      >average truck cargo 24 tonnes
      >average diesel elctric train cargo capacity - 1000 tonnes
      Yeah when it comes to a distance of ~100km, sure put in on a truck, but beyond that, the train makes better scense.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That doesn’t make sense when you consider the mining industry in Australia, if they’re moving thousands of tons of ore they’d need a rail system anyway.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
    • 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Flat land and wheels on smooth road have less friction than metal grinding on rails so truck trains are more efficient than rail ones. Australia is empty on its interior. Nobodyl lives there.

Think about it logically. Rubber wide wheels are going to glide compared to metal on metal.

If the US was smart enough to build coast to coast truck train infrastructure, rail would ne obsolete except for passenger travel.

Or just pave over existing rail lines with road and convert locomotives to tires.

Feel free to prove me wrong. I've done the math on this before and the only thing that makes cars and regular tractor trailors inefficient isn't the tires but individual cost of small trips with barely any cargo. Put it another way, a car would get shit MPG if you took the wheels off and put rail way cogs in it and drove it as a single rail car with its own power.

All passenger lines.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Flat land and wheels on smooth road have less friction than metal grinding on rails

Are you pretending to be moronic or are you actually trying to be moronic?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Metal on metal is more friction than rubber on road. The problem is tyres wear out.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You could just google it anon, you are wrong.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

[...]
            never gets old seeing such incorrect confidence. you even bring up a rack and pinion style rail for some reason, why do you think a freight train running across gigantic flat plains needs "rail way cogs" whatever that is

Apologize

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber-tyred_metro#/media/File:ST_SN5000_20061102_001.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber-tyred_metro#Advantages

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

No wonder you people haven't driven on the moon yet lmao.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Rubber tyres have higher rolling resistance than traditional steel railway wheels. There are some advantages and disadvantages to increased rolling resistance, causing them to not be used in certain countries
            yea sorry you couldn't scroll the mouae wheel one click lmao

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

"Disadvantages

The higher friction and increased rolling resistance cause disadvantages (compared to steel wheel on steel rail):

Higher energy consumption."
            Really anon?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Metal on metal is more friction than rubber on road. The problem is tyres wear out.

never gets old seeing such incorrect confidence. you even bring up a rack and pinion style rail for some reason, why do you think a freight train running across gigantic flat plains needs "rail way cogs" whatever that is

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Bro I think your head is flat.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

you ever drive a car a few feet without tyres? it doesn't want to budge and scrapes pavement. that's more friction. you can even take a rim and a rim with tyres on. try rolling them. rubber beats steel every time.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

This is why you're the kindergarten class of Europe.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

i think he's just doing it on purpose at this point

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Australia also has train freight you idiot

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Flat land and wheels on smooth road have less friction than metal grinding on rails so truck trains are more efficient than rail ones

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>t.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Doesn't look very comfortable

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The roads are already there (for cars) so it's cheaper to use them for the trains as well than build a shitload of rail instead.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because we're moronic and gave up on investing in our future in the 1960s. Australia isn't a real country its a real estate ponzi scheme propped up by mass migration of pajeets and mining.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Australia isn't a real country its a real estate ponzi scheme propped up by mass migration of pajeets and mining.
      wow, sounds like you're describing Canada

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Canada and Australia are running the same scheme.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I would assume they are mostly used for mining. Putting up a new rail every time you dig a hole is not very effective.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

How do you think they get minerals out of the mine and to china lmao

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>tfw you get to run down kangaroos all day
    It is pretty damn cool. I wish I could remeber the name of a documentary I watched about this.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Microplastics entering the blood brain barrier

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

ill enter your blood barrier with my micro something

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because they're fricking moronic. Building a rail line in a perfectly flat and empty expanse is apparently too hard. Meanwhile we build fricking spiral tunnels in fricking mountains in the middle of nowhere.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

> thousands of miles of empty highways, cheaper than rail
    why not?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

How is 7mpg cheaper than 70mpg? Sometimes you have to spend money so save or make money.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

the issue is this: politicians dont want to spend money on anything that will not be completed in their term of office.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Pepperidge Farm remembers

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I hate that these didnt become a thing

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It blows my mind that metal "wheel" on metal rail is less friction than a soft pillow of rubber with air behind it on road. How can this be?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The loss is in the deformation of the material. It’s why inflating your tires more gives better gas mileage.
      Steel on steel has very little deformation of both surfaces. It’s crazy efficient.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Putting a railway in the desert doesn't make sense because of the erosion and remoteness destroying the tracks.

The roads in that area (Northern Territory) are also very flat and straight

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Roads are cheaper than rails.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because rail requires a much higher initial investment than road infrastructure. Road trains usually service remote areas or resource extraction sites (mines, oil fields, etc) where the service is expected to be temporary or very rare. Therefore it doesn't make economic sense to lay expensive track that is going to be rarely or eventually abandoned anyway when a dirt road will suffice and be much cheaper in the short term.

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Rails need constant maintance

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Dust storms covering the tracks causing derailments, wildlife, angry feminist enviros and general aussie shit. There is a reason most of the populations live on the coast, the interior of australia is basically a perma desert due to wind currents and mountains blocking storms from bringing moisture into the interior.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I've watched videos on this very subject. Seems like being a penal colony, their states just made random shit up while building rail systems, so all the rail systems are different. The only time I can agree on using central government

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

That truck is probably going 30mph at best with that load.

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

we can't even upgrade our phone lines or build an apartment properly and you want us to build rail systems lmao

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

abos would tear up the tracks, not to sell or anything, they're just like that.

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My dad drives a road train.
    Love you dad, proud of you 🙂

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *