Why doesn't the auto industry separate design/engineering and manufacturing like the electronics industry?

Why doesn't the auto industry separate design/engineering and manufacturing like the electronics industry?

CRIME Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

they do. its just far more common for electronics to have their manufacturing outsourced than autos. occasionally, you'll see an independent design studio design a car, then a 3rd party will manufacturer for the respective brand.

pic related, built by Multimatic for Ford.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

you have no idea how the automotive supply chain works right?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This.
      No automobile manufacturer makes all their parts.
      Injectors and oil filters are an example (I'm not aware of a single car brand that makes their own).
      That "Toyota" branded oil filter was made by Wix.
      Those "Ford" branded injectors were made by Bosch.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

But for some reason Black personisraelite mechanics still don't take customer supplied parts

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

This is because:

A) their business model is tied to selling you the parts and the install service.

B) Black folk bring them absolute trash parts that aren't even the right part and waste their time. I've had mechanics take parts from me, but I assure them I'm buying quality parts from reputable sellers or like-new used parts if it's an older car where new parts are impossible to find.

C) if it's a dealership, of course they'll frick you over any way possible, gotta pay for that fancy building and coffee waiting area as well as the CEOs mistresses and yacht.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

The average moron gets parts that dont even fit the car or they only get some of the parts, but you need more to do the job, and they get mad that you cant install incompatible or incomplete shit.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

doesn't denso make toyota filters?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>No automobile manufacturer makes all their parts.
        Anymore.
        In the 1970s and early into the 1980s, if you bought a GM vehicle every single part except for the tires was made by GM or by a company GM owned.

• 2 months ago
      Bepis

This. There are a bunch of parts companies that build stuff for many different parts, like I think Bosch did tons of ignition or injectors for all different cars, Delphi (now Aptiv) did a whole lot of electronics. A couple different transmission brands that sell to many brands.

Hell, then there’s companies like Magna Steyr that build full automobiles when a major brand contracts them to do so.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Why doesn't the auto industry separate design/engineering and manufacturing like the electronics industry?
    >itoddlers when they think design an engineering separation is an idea invented by jobs while 'detoxing' from his cancer.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

anon, that's baisically what happens in most cases, most of the plants in countries foreign to the manufacturer are not directly operated by them
    the only difference is that car manufacturers usually don't cram together into one plant, though that happens too, mainly in china

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Size and scale. There really isn't much else besides cars that are manufactured in high volume at that size. On the other hand, there are tons of small consumer electronics that it's easy to switch between iPhones and XBOXes because it all fits on a table and uses similar manufacture techniques.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

One thing about electronics is they are small and high volume. So shipping 1 million electronic doodads might literally be 10 boxes that can be lifted by 1 man. 1 million I phones can fit in a shipping container, etc. So it makes sense to say ching Chong mfr co in hugedong provence can make this type of chip for 20c each and ship it to Thailand to make a sub circuit with a few other pieces and combine it with TMSC chips then ship those to korea for final assembly of Samsung phones.

But it would not make sense to ship a bunch of bodies and add suspension, then ship it to another country to put in engines and transmissions and then ship it to another country to put in body stuff and then ship it again to finish it up. It makes far more sense to get pre assembled electronics from asia and then have local manufacturing and assembly for everything else.

And actually the reason that cars are so expensive is because they have been outsourcing too many things. This is unironically why tesla is manufacturing so well. They do nearly everything in house

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>And actually the reason that cars are so expensive is because they have been outsourcing too many things. This is unironically why tesla is manufacturing so well. They do nearly everything in house

Not too late to delete this.

Cars are getting more expensive because over over-complication and too many luxury systems people simply don't need but "want".

Tesla has had horrendous quality problems and is ongoing, I wouldn't cite them as a great example. I also don't think they manufacture all of their parts in house, probably not even most.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Copypasta from Tesla:

Located less than an hour from Lake Tahoe, Gigafactory Nevada is one of the world's highest volume plants for electric motors, energy storage products, vehicle powertrains and batteries—producing billions of cells per year. Now, we’re continuing to grow Gigafactory Nevada with two new facilities: a 100 GWh 4680 cell factory and our first high-volume Semi factory.

One factory where they make all of the powertrain stuff. I believe they injection mold the unibody and panels there as well. Last I checked, the seats are made in reno. So raw materials with a few components come in and fully built cars drive out

Meanwhile ford, stellantis, and gm are importing all kinds of shit from all over the world, assembling stuff 80%In mexico and finishing them in USA. and they had millions of cars sitting in parking lots waiting for computer chips in 2021/2022 cause tsmc couldn't produce them fast enough. Tesla just reprogrammed and redesigned components around the available chips.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Bro, building a few key large components is not the same as every LED bulb and switch being made domestically. Also, Tesla is having quality problems to the moon and their profitability is declining. The Cybertruck is said to be sold at a loss at the moment. If Elon is smart he will dump as much stock as he can as fast as possible and get out of that shit before it implodes on itself. EVs are not the future that tech dorks and virtue signalers think it is.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Cope and seethe harder. Everyone is building shitty overpriced cars, everyone has Qc nightmares. Tesla is growing and growing. They work out bugs pretty fast

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

This is a whole lotta cope. Tesla is rated at the absolute bottom for quality and reliability.

Source: Consumer Reports

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Chrysler is more reliable than Porsche
            haha, VAG BTFO! i knew the mighty 300c was better built than any 911.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

your cars are made in mexico

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Chinese factory cars?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *