Why don't companies make practical kit cars? RWD 2-door hot hatches are practical, no?

Why don't companies make practical kit cars? RWD 2-door hot hatches are practical, no?

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

uh they do

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

But that is no longer in production.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

that probably answers your question as well

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I'd rather build a '90s Miata if they sold kits for 'em. Better yet, a Miata with a hatchback.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>I'd like to pay $20k for a kit, and $3k for some running gear, to end up with a fake copy of a $7k Miata.

What?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

New.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>new
            >has 30yo running gear
            >has cheaply replicated interior
            >costs 3x as much as just getting a good original one

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

But that is no longer in production.

i still don't get how they canned the 818 but still produce all those hot rod and chop top trash. the people who liked those things are geriatrics now, who the hell is ordering them? with the death of the elise i'd think they'd bring this one back

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Be ause one boomer has the buying power of 10 of us combined.

Also our generation is gay and won’t sirene money on a car that needs assembly and has no Carplay.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

WRX running gear doesn't seem like the easiest thing to come by, so maybe they are re-engineering it to work with something more common.
        They were also popular for EV builds, so I almost wonder if they are reworking it a bit to make it better for that purpose.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Because those are actually good.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>but still produce all those hot rod and chop top trash
        Hipsters and Gen X love that shit too. Same for rat rods, every rat rod owner I've ever met was in their 70s, or in their 40s but pretending they're from the 1950s via tattoos, heavy drinking, and smoking.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

All you have to do is imagine that you're about to start a company doing kit cars.
    Can you sell enough kit cars to deal with the costs of the facility, engineers, and machining? Very unlikely. Maybe you can sell '32 Ford replicas, but even they don't sell enough to pay the bills.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

How about an open source project?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

automotive open source is a cool idea that will never fly because [they] will make it illegal before the first car hits the road
        lotus 7 replicas and offshoots is about as close as you'll get to open source car

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

nothing is stopping you, or anyone else

it is essentially been done with the locost
        I guess the major difference is before the internet 'open source' projects would be traded/built upon using books instead of github
        https://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Sports-Little-%C2%A3250/dp/1859606369
        it's a relatively new idea that people spend years working on some project and give it away for free on the internet, spending 50-150 on books is a pretty decent way of supporting the people that make this stuff available though

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

What the frick is an open source kit car? Where 1 group of dorks with a CAD software makes the chassis, a few car guys recommend common inexpensive donor cars or hotrod parts to bolt to said cage/chassis, then you have yet another team making the body and interior?

Whats that accomplish? You still need a facility and team of welders to make a jig to efficiently weld and assemble the kits. Then you need testers to make sure its actually buildable, even finalizing things like ECU, egnine, transmission options, suspension, etc to give potential builders options. Then you've got a fiberglass company already in business to make molds and bodies.

Cool, you have a weird amalgamation of effort on this project, but you're still trying to do it cheaper and better than the kit car companies already in place for decades because "open source" is now a moron buzz word that means nothing other than "built by committee".

Factory 5, Caterham, superformance are the really big 3 selling a variety of complete kits for what OP is asking about and I think he just wants them for cheaper than the $35k (before engine and trans) they 'can' be had for. Realistically with a lot of options you're looking closer to $40-45k.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

How about custom chases over a stock frame and guts?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

These aren't the correct words. I think you're asking about a body-swap onto a different frame. All well and good if you're suggesting potential customers go find a common chassis like a Crown Vic and you plop your "open source" crap on top of the bare frame. Its not possible with most cars made after the 90's when unibody became the general manufacturing standard.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

That's already a thing.
        https://www.locostusa.com/forums/

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

How are kit cars legal, then?

Some kit cars are sold as non-road legal cars that are 99% complete
      The buyer just has to install some lights and mirrors
      At least that's what I thought

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>RWD 2-door hot hatches are practical, no?
    building your own car is not safe, practical or desirable for normies

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

How are kit cars legal, then?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>for normies

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

home built cars don't have to adhere to safety, emissions, etc. there are so few of them that the states don't really care

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

because it's sufficiently difficult to do, so 99% of people simply will never attempt it

if there was some rash epidemic of idiots crashing unsafe shitboxes it would get regulated fairly quickly

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>RWD 2-door hot hatches
    they existed as proper production cars. they sold less than bmw's overpriced fwd offering.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

think about the cost of all the specialized equipment needed, not to mention skills needed

pretty much ANY used car will cost far, far, far less than even the cost of raw materials, not to mention the tools, space, time and general engineering

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I hate being at the whim of car companies. I build my own guitars, since I don't like most necks out there.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I don't know what they've been up to lately, but Factory Five in New Bedford, MA, used to put out some nice kits.

• 1 month ago
      Supra80

The XTF Extreme Truck kit. It turns any F-150 into an off-roader that out Raptors a Raptor.

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

you may not like it, but this is peak performance.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Giant 3D printer. AI safety simulation.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Czinger

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Does this count as a hot hatch?
    Factory five racing.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

OP wants a $15-25k DIY kit. Factory 5 stuff is closer to $50k all said and done. More if you use great parts like the IRS, brembo brakes, good seats, good dash, good interior, etc. New coyote engine from Ford is $22k by itself
      >just buy used parts for what amounts to a race car
      Don't.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>New coyote engine from Ford is $22k by itself
        what?! no wonder no one bothers with that shit when an ls3, lt1, etc. are half that

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I stand corrected by myself; on summit racing the available coyote blocks are between $8000 and $30,000. I don't know enough about them or care to research what the difference between the $7000 and $9000 versions of 460hp are. But still, $40k for the kit, $10k for an engine, probably $6k for a new transmission. Thats a solid $55-60k in parts alone for a kit car with a lot of really good parts. Oh then add on probably $8-12k for a good paint job, plus whatever interior you can think up.

I'm sure you could find a wrecked mustang for a donor engine and trans, and downgrade other parts of the kit from F5 but if you're going to spend that kind of time and money on an insane sports car, do you really want to save $5-10k by downgrading parts? I shiggydiggy, especially for the race version.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>New coyote engine from Ford is $22k by itself
            what?! no wonder no one bothers with that shit when an ls3, lt1, etc. are half that

OP wants a $15-25k DIY kit. Factory 5 stuff is closer to $50k all said and done. More if you use great parts like the IRS, brembo brakes, good seats, good dash, good interior, etc. New coyote engine from Ford is $22k by itself
            >just buy used parts for what amounts to a race car
            Don't.

an F-150 coyote is like 4k

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You got a link to buy one?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

they are all over ebay

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I've gotten infatuated with the idea of getting a kit car, but I'm not that much of a mechanic. Either factory five, or TIPO 184 seem like the way to go, but I have no idea how far in over my head I'd be going.
            My other plan for that itch was to get a 5th gen mustang and work on it, but used market is always hell to get something specific out of

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Right there with ya man. I don't have a lift so I'd be doing it all in my suburbia garage on the floor. I'm fairly confident I'd eventually get it all to work, but the countless mistakes, minor frickups, and everything else would probably bother the frick outta me over the 2 or so years they take to build.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Very practical

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Easy to wrench too, apparently.

12. 1 month ago
    Supra80

I'd settle for more companies making more than just Cobra clones. To that I give two thumbs up to Mongoose Motorsports giving a bone to the Chevy guys out there.

13. 1 month ago
    s10fag

why not get a late model chassis, cut up some shitbox body and put it on, shits fricking cheap compared to a kit car

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>just drive around in a horrific race car
      Even Factory 5 stuff needs a bit of work to make it a comfortable usable car and will never be as good as a 10 year old lexus in terms of comfort, but driving a race car anywhere but a race track is cringe and a terrible experience for everyone.

• 1 month ago
        s10fag

you get what you pay for

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *