Why hasn't any company come out with a better solution to connecting car batteries to the harness than this 100 year old clamp bullshit that lose...

Why hasn't any company come out with a better solution to connecting car batteries to the harness than this 100 year old clamp bullshit that loses its ability to clamp over time and corrodes to dust by the fumes released by the battery itself?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Legacy Devices.
    Every industry has them.
    Do you want battery manufacturers to split their inventory into "old" and "new" styles?
    Because that's how you wind up with a parts shelf that doesn't have your style but plenty of the other style.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

>everyone has the old shit so we shouldn't even bother trying to improve on it
      Should we all still be using CRT televisions and VHS players because that's what everyone had and repairmen knew how to fix and had parts for? Should the ballpoint pen not have been invented to replace the fountain pen? How about the fluorescent and LED light bulb instead of sticking with incandescent bulbs? Why not go back to wood burning stoves to cook our food?

Shoes still go on your feet and I don't think that's going to change for at least a few million years.

Shoes aren't an objectively bad design though. My argument isn't "old bad", it's "this old design is trash and persists to this day despite being garbage".

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

What's bad about the clamp? It's universal, cheap, easiy replaced, doesn't generally corrode within the life of the vehicle and more importantly perfectly adequate while also being non proprietry
        It's a clamp that comes off what, once a year? Once every 5 years? A single bolt (with possible additional terminals for ring connectors) is beautiful in it's simplicity

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

>shoes arent an objectively bad design
        LMAO yeah thats why my $80 walmart work boots are hot garbage and my $180 timberland pros are like walking on air.

• 6 days ago
          Anonymous

Poor quality thing ≠ bad design. Anyone could make a garbage version of a good design, just look at all the cheap Chinese junk that walmart sells. You just said it yourself, the timberlands are good. What would you make to put under and around your feet if not a shoe? The closest argument might be flip flops, they suck no matter what.

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

poor quality literally IS BAD DESIGN

you can buy your own battery brackets and shit, dumbass. go have a machine shop cut you some fittings from 316 steel they will last decades.

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

>using shitty cheap material is bad design
            No, that's called being a cheap frick. Thermostat housings made of plastic fail all the time, but make it out of aluminum and don't change anything else about it such as the shape, and it will be better in every single way with the same design.

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

The choice of material is part of design

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

>change design of component to use a different material
            >this isn't changing the design
            Protip - the same component made out of aluminium would probably be thinner than the same made of plastic, and would suffer galvanic corossoion from the dissimmilar metals in the coolant loop

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

The design is the same, the material changed. What part of this is unclear?

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

The material is the main driving force of the design you mouth breathing moron
            Would a bridge made of cooked spagetti hold the same weight as one made of concrete at the same dimensions?

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

>brings up material that obviously wouldn't work
            Not the same thing and you fricking know it.

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

>hurr just cast it in aluminmum
            >yeah I know nothing about the rest of the coolant loop
            >galvanic corrosion? What's that a new EDM band?

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

>making the thermostat housing out of aluminum is suddenly a problem when the engine block, head, radiator, and coolant piping are all already aluminum too

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

>he actually thinks that the aluminium in a radiator is the same aluminium in a engine block
            Go read up what an alloy is and come back and kiss my ring piece moron

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

So why aren't you screeching about those being dissimilar metals too? Or, it's almost like OEMs do think about these things, and make their aluminum thermostat housings out of an alloy that won't cause galvanic corrosion? Do you think aluminum thermostat housings just don't exist? Have you opened the hood of a car made in the last 30 years before?

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

Do you think that the manufacturers don't know how to cast plastic that is capable of handling the heat and pressure?

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

obviously not or they wouldn't constantly explode

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

>don't follow service schedule
            >WHY IS MY CAR BREAKING

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

I've replaced tons of water outlets on those dogshit ecotecs with under 60k miles

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

are you moronic? Galvanic corrosion is kept in check in the coolant system by the very toxic anti-freeze we put in it lmao how did you not know this

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

>he actually thinks that people flush their coolant frequently enough for antifeeze to stop corrosion
            BMW reccomends every 30,000km or 24 months btw

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

that seems obtusely excessive and like it could be mitigated by better choice of coolant

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

Depends on use, if your country sees large temperature variations you should probably be doing your coolant annually, if you live in the tropics probably fine with just doing it like once every 5 years

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

Probably 80+% of the vehicles on the road in USA with 150k or greater miles are still running the factory filled coolant. Many cars, throwing aside they probably could have lived another 100k miles if owned well, get to the junkyard at 180-200k on the original mounts, coolant, power steering fluid, and original trans fluid as well.

I think BMW just wants more money making a claim like 30k km.
            All coolants should be able to hit 100k miles / 160kkm

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

The better analogy would be the wall outlet the TV plugs into. A battery clamp lasts decades, and they're easy to swap if if finally does bite the dust.

2. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Simpler is better.
    Go look at side posts and tell me they're good, I'll call you a lying homosexual.

3. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Shoes still go on your feet and I don't think that's going to change for at least a few million years.

4. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

>Why hasn't any company come out with a better solution to connecting car batteries to the harness than this 100 year old clamp bullshit that loses its ability to clamp over time and corrodes to dust by the fumes released by the battery itself?
    Whats wrong with his solution?
    >loses its ability to clamp over time and corrodes to dust by the fumes released by the battery itself
    These are issues related to the materials used in the battery contact and and any increase in costs to account for better materials isn't going to extend the lifespan of the battery. Battery technology itself hasn't developed much in the past 250 years. Until we develop a battery with a 25 year lifespan there's no notable reason to invest in improved contact materials. Cleaning a battery contact costs a fraction of a penny and can be done in seconds, a minute if you're being fussy, and this can easily be done by the layman as part of an annual maintenance routine. So the question is now two parts:

Why hasn't someone developed a 25 year battery?
    Why don't people clean their battery contacts once a year?

5. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

>yes I would like a proprietary connector for a simple component
    >no I don't care that terminals might need replaced once in the life of a car, if ever
    >no I won't google that a lot new cars have a replaceable fuse blocks that goes on the battery terminal anyways and can be replaced in 15 minutes

6. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

it just werks. I've never had any issues with these and I exclusively drive 20+yo shitboxes. If you have issues with these it's your own fault

7. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Cost and simplicity. Even the wiring is trash compared to what you can get if wiring a car yourself.

8. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

cars should have Anderson SB connector wired to the battery
    need to disconnect the battery? pull out the SB connector
    need to remove the battery? undo the hold-down and pull out the SB connector
    they could also include a second connector for when you need to give or get a jump

afaik nobody makes an SAE-post-to-SB-connector adapter but wouldn't be that hard:
    >- post - lug terminal - cable - -contact - SB connector
    >+ post - lug terminal - cable - +contact - SB connector
    thought about doing this on mine but the problem is no fricking room for it near the battery, and not worth redoing all the cabling just to relocate the battery

what they should really have is a stud instead of a post on the battery itself

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

RadLoc. >>> power pulls

9. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

they do, and it's called a RadLoc.
    used a lot on equipment.
    but that costs more than 10 cents

10. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

do battery clamps not work then?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *