Why is alcantara considered a luxury material again? It literally looks and feels like cheap shit

Why is alcantara considered a luxury material again? It literally looks and feels like cheap shit

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

it's more "grippy" than leather so it's good for performance seats which keep you in place during high g turns
    designers put those kinds of materials in their luxury cars to create an association with racing and performance, which is prestigious
    for the same reason, most luxury cars aren't offered with cloth seats, even though high quality cloth is a good material for seats

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

what a great car

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>lexus supra looks like shit
      >toyota bmw supra GR looks good
      Wtf was lexus thinking when they made this 75k abomination?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

future classic

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

*pukes*

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I feel as if this interior encapsulates everything wrong with Japanese design

Emulate and adopt, don't doo anything too crazy, but make it weird just enough that it passes the uncanny zone, and play it easy with the steering wheel.

It's as if the designers started with proper Evangelion levels of crazy, and the ojii-sans at Toyota had to calm them down to make it more like a German interior
        >hey lets not forget our american customers uhh lets put some dumb shit in there as well like the passenger pillar thing
        >what about the door handles sir
        >well I mean it is really innovative and this is what that car is going for so leave them but make sure that the rest of the interior looks like a weird hybrid out of a 2005 camry and what you guys were going for

its sad because there are cool ements here, like the passenger side dash, the light switches straight out of an R32..
        it just clashes with the monotone that is toyota. and toyotas conservative interiors look good im not saying they dont. but its just such a mix of bullshit nothing gets accomplished

its like mixing every cool colour you know and then you get brown. then you add a little brown to make it brown-er

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

this colorway as convertible auaaah i'm cumming

>lexus supra looks like shit
        >toyota bmw supra GR looks good
        Wtf was lexus thinking when they made this 75k abomination?

"Here's a na v8 coupe dudes enjoy I head you wanted these things" was probably what they were thinking

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

worst car on the market

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I wish painted metal would make a comeback.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

miata has some on the doors

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>*deletes your front teeth in a minor crash*
      nothing personnel, kid

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Does that not apply with modern seatbelts and airbags?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>HOLD ON

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

HOLD ON

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Looks like somebody cut open a whale carcass

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because manufacturers can save money while pawning off their plastic "suede" as more "luxurious." Everyone knows true luxury only comes at the expense of another creature's life. Which is true.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Real leather options are starting to disappear. You either have cheap plastic or pay the premium for expensive alcantara plastic

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Depending on the car I'd probably either just get the cheapest plastic seats and either get them reupholstered or get new seats. New cars are mostly gay as frick though. Mostly.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Lexus owner here, actually I had 4 of them in the last 10 years.

First they used real genuine leather, the good kind with good quality, then suddenly from 2018 on they started deodorizing the leather, so the cabin doesn't have the distinctive leather fragrance that one would expect from a premium/luxury car.

I thought they did that on the entry level models, although they were full optional with real leather, but now I have a NX 450h+ Luxury and it's the same, leather (not sure about the quality) without smell.

I'll gladly pick alcantara for my next car if clown world decided that shit like this is the new norm.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>NX
          >not entry level

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Entry level is LBX and UX, the NX is D segment which is the same as the IS and both of them are not entry level.
            Also I'm in Europe and bigger than my car there's only the RX, ES and the LS which is a white fly because nobody ever buy them, and then again at least for the RX which is the newest car of these 3, the leather is deodorized.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Entry level is LBX and UX, the NX is D segment
            Isn't the NX just a lexusified RAV4?
            > which is the same as the IS and both of them are not entry level.
            Again, the IS is a car trying to compete with BMW 3-series.
            >I'm in Europe
            Now I understand. Some moron in the other thread is sure that his Saab is a luxury car.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It doesn’t matter, the NX is the same segment as the IS and it’s even more expensive (always has) and it’s not entry level.
            My 2016 CT 200h had real leather inside, with a wonderful smell, but as I said that was before 2018 when they decided that leather = bad.

Lexus started going down since they released the current ES.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>First they used real genuine leather
          >genuine leather
          >the good kind with good quality,
          Anything that says "genuine" leather is trash.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

"Genuine" leather is basically a brand of split grain. Full grain and aniline is the way to go. I think most people who don't like leather are used to cheap split grain stuff with shitty topcoats and a stamped texture. It's basically vinyl at that point.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, that was my point. I've had sketchy sales dudes try and play it off before looking at wallets and shit.
            >do you have anything that's full grain?
            >it's all full grain!
            >"genuine leather" stamped in like 30point font right inside the wallet

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Lexus used or still uses full grain leather on every model under the E segment, then you find semi-aniline and full aniline on the flagship models such as the LS. I don't know if even the latter cars have deodorized leather, but what I know is that you only get the best leather for said model unless you pick an entry level model or a lower trim under the E segment where you're given the Nuluxe fake leather.

The other best, imho even better, leather is "Poltrona Frau" (the Italian leather) and it was used on Alfa Romeo models in the higher trims, you could find it on the Giulia and Stelvio as part of the "Luxury pack" (paid) but now they stopped using it and you only have the standard leather which is good but not God tier as the Poltrona Frau.

The Germans have trash quality fake and real leather standard on every car, then you have to pay more and more for better leather until you find Nappa leather which is the best one they offer on most non flagship models.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>durable
    >easy to clean
    >doesn’t crack
    It just works

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>easy to clean
      its harder to clean and its get dirty super quickly compared to leather.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>It just works
      It really doesn't. Alcantara is a nightmare in high touch places and these moronic car companies are putting it everywhere. I have an alcantara arm rest for fricks sake

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Alcantara is great. More durable than leather, cleans with just soap and water no need for an oil routine like leather.
    Alcantara is terrible. It soaks up everything from your hands. With leather you can just wipe it down with a wet cloth and reoil very lightly a couple times a year, maybe do a real saddle soap clean and full reoil every couple years.

I had an alcantera simracing wheel and it had great grip. Until i was racing so much that even with gloves on it could get dirty and matted down in less than a month. Cleaning the wheel 5, 6 times a year was annoying, was slowly degrading the material, and couldnt have been safe for the electronics no matter how careful I was.

Using leather now, grip isnt as high but it's way way less maintenance.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Alcantara is a thing because you can't use real suede inside a car. The heat would make it shrink and curl up.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I absolutely hate alcantara. It's a pain in the ass to maintain.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

This thing ages poorly. Colour fades away, it gets stained easily.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *