Why is new chassis development so expensive?

You hear all the time now about how platforms are shared between crazy shit like SUVs, sedans, and "sports cars" (Nissan FM platform, for example) because development costs are so high these days, but it's literally just a metal box with some skin plating and wires. How had can it be to throw that into autocad (or not even do that, worked fine for our grandfathers) and then go to production?
>inb4 safety. Consumers only care about looks and price

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The body actually can be changed, the "platform" is the engine and subframes and drivetrain and suspension etc underneath.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

ahhh, got it.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Incorrect, almost all model refreshes are just fascias and hoods, sometimes fenders and headlights. You will rarely see pillars, doors, firewall, etc. changed. Most brands are running these for 8-10 years these days.

https://i.imgur.com/lrxmSuh.png

You hear all the time now about how platforms are shared between crazy shit like SUVs, sedans, and "sports cars" (Nissan FM platform, for example) because development costs are so high these days, but it's literally just a metal box with some skin plating and wires. How had can it be to throw that into autocad (or not even do that, worked fine for our grandfathers) and then go to production?
      >inb4 safety. Consumers only care about looks and price

It's because developing cars that get all the top crash safety ratings for both North America and Europe is extremely difficult and resource intensive, and because changing stamping/bonding/welding automation is a huge investment in a factory, changing it is a nightmare.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>The body actually can be changed, the "platform" is the engine and subframes

You have it polar backwards, dumbass

The platform is the chassis

The body and the chassis are the same, going by the definition that the chassis is the single largest piece that everything else attaches to. However, the PLATFORM , which is more of a business term, is the actual underpinnings that make it go, turn, and stop. The same platform is underneath the Fiesta, Focus, and Ecosport, for example.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>The same platform is underneath the Fiesta,

Focus, and Ecosport, for example.

Those cars literally started on the same global chassis, often referred to as the platform.

This is fundamental, the engine, suspension they could rig up any way, it's irrelevant.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

[...]
      The body and the chassis are the same, going by the definition that the chassis is the single largest piece that everything else attaches to. However, the PLATFORM , which is more of a business term, is the actual underpinnings that make it go, turn, and stop. The same platform is underneath the Fiesta, Focus, and Ecosport, for example.

"Platform" and "Chassis" can be used interchangeably. whether or not the "platform/chassis" is a separate piece from the "body" depends on whether you're talking about a ladder frame or not. in the case of most trucks or something like a crown vic, the body and chassis are actually two separate pieces, but unibody vehicles have the body and chassis as one modular piece. (the "chassis, takes the form of the body, and then the panels and everything else are connected to it). a ladder frame, is where the engine/suspension/drivetrain is housed, and then the "body" that makes up the identifiable part of the car sits on that.

The engine/drivetrain/suspension are not part of the "platform/chassis". the same chassis can have completely different engine/troony options and completely different suspension.

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

each one of those metal sheets is made by multiple presses (they're not stamped in one step)
    some of the dies even have moving parts to grab the sheet by the contour and stretch it or cut it

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Don't go into engineering, OP. This shit is way more complicated than just designing a box in CAD and stamping some shit.
    You don't just package everything in there and have places for everything to bolt on to, you also have to consider stresses and strains, NVH, ease of manufacture, regulations, cost, etc etc.
    On something so big with so many features this can cost a lot of money and take a lot of time to develop, test, and make. You're paying engineers like $55 / hr plus insurance this adds up.
    You'd also probably have to have many more assembly lines, since you now have to make different frames for each car. This means even more overhead and worker costs.
    It's just not that easy.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it's not expensive it's just israelites
    everything is designed by computer now engineering teams are much smaller than they used to be

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>everything is designed by computer now
      Yeah, humans on computers. I was a 3D CAD engineer for a OEM parts supplier a few years back, it's still humans, we just use computers so you don't need a whole warehouse full of engineers doing differential equations all day just to do stress / strain analysis on one part of one component.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Have you ever heard of jevon’s paradox? I wonder if we end up doing way more analysis, and hence require more engineers than previously, now that the work has gotten easier.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I am that anon. No I haven't heard of this by name (interesting reading about, btw), but it's certainly happening. I'm also a software engineer, I grew up using Dos 3.1 or some shit when I was 5 and was programming visual games in Basic when I was 11.
          I often wonder what's going to happen when tech advances so fast, but the only tech young'ns are exposed to is severely-abstracted touchscreen shit. Then, if they want to go into CS, they'll have to deal with the layers upon layers of tech that has been piled on over decades despite having never used a command line. It was a lot easier to learn for me when things like Java and object-oriented were wild new concepts.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Then, if they want to go into CS, they'll have to deal with the layers upon layers of tech that has been piled on over decades despite having never used a command line.
            They'll fix it like we do today. Make the programming so high-level that it'll take a quantum supercomputer to print "Hello world."

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

There's certainly a shit ton more engineering in a modern car, and the cost of development certainly supports that more engineer-hours are needed than to bolt a 2v pushrod V8 onto a ladder frame and drop a shell onto it.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>o bolt a 2v pushrod V8 onto a ladder frame and drop a shell onto it
            this should be a dirt cheap option but its not

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

One of the biggest costs of implementing a new car or next gen of an existing car is factory tooling. All the machinery, dies, etc. for creating & assembling the pieces. That's why manufacturers like sharing parts and platforms between models. It lowers the manufacturing cost per unit dramatically.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

anyone can just slap some drawings together and call it a day, but that does not give you an edge in the competitive market
    new designs need to be safer, cheaper, lighter, easier to implement, etc. because it has to have significant improvements to justify the budget
    you can make or break sales just by 1% cost or .1 mpg mileage difference with your competitors, so every avenue needs to be calculated

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

VE Commodore cost a billion dollars to design, It's all dependent on how much R&D is involved, engineers get paid well in 1st world countries.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *