Why is there so many turbocharged cars but so few supercharged cars?

Why is there so many turbocharged cars but so few supercharged cars?

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Turbos are just better
    Simple as

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because superchargers are parasitical and would significantly harm the efficiency of a 4 cylinder.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

turbos also reduce mpgs moron

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Do they?
        If mine did it certainly wasn't noticeable.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>but i did eat breakfast this morning

You're always going to use more fuel on boost in high power than a larger non turbo engine making the same power.
          The engines do use less when running partial boost in a low rpm high load scenario *cough* because they've been programmed to use leaner AFRs *cough*
          Example A:
          >1.4 i4 Turbo
          >70MPH at 2650RPM
          >reports 2.2GPH flow rate (31.5MPG)
          Example B:
          >3.6L v6 NA,
          >70MPH at 1940RPM
          >reports 2.45GPH (28.5MPG)
          Massive difference in displacement and engine B has more than twice the power, yet uses just 12% more fuel. And this with a vehicle that weighs more than 15% of the 1.4T vehicle, while also being larger and with worse aero drag.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Oh so they are just as efficient when you're trying to be efficient?
            Sounds like exactly what you'd want.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The difference between stat sheets and reality is a lot of people dont care and drive the small engines hard, 3000-4000 RPM shifts with the turbo in it's 10-12PSI range and the ECU dumping 12:1 AFRs while that larger engine is just as fast shifting at or before 2500-3000 maintaining stoich.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Sounds like people who don't care about fuel economy drive it a way that they don't care about fuel economy, which is exactly what you want.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm not the same anon or whoever you think I am and have no attachment to the way people drive.
            I only care about the technical diffs of a turbo and NA engine

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Turbochargers don't noticeably increase mpg if you don't want them to

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

A small turbo engine is never shifting above 3000rpm. They shift at like 2500rpm, often 2000rp, unless of course the pedal is flat to floor.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Do you even drive.
            80+% of people I see are thrashing their engines up to speed, I know because I drive my 300hp v6 DD moderately and can see that the 1.3l trax, altima 2.5s, clapped civics, accords and subarus are accelerating faster than I want to all the time.

Keep in mind a modern 1.5T has a similar torque profile above 1800RPM as my engine does, but my engine has more torque at light throttles.
            Yes these people are thrashing their shitty little turbo cars.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They're not thrashing shit. Modern vehicles usually have an extremely low 1st gear. The 2-4 shifts are usually super low and close together too. This means you don't need as much torque or throttle input to get the vehicle moving at a good pace. They're not like the shitboxes of the past that were running 4 speed autos with a first gear that takes you to 50+mph.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

my car does a 2-4 skip and has a 6:1 1st it's really not that different.

Fact is my larger v6 engine has the same or more torque at 20-30% throttle as an i4 turbo has on 7-9lbs boost.
            Yes, people are thrashing their engines.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>thrashing
            if my 40yo ford 302 can handle ebay 10psi moronation I think they will be fine

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The original post is about superchargers vs turbochargers.
            A supercharged engine has all those inefficiencies with weight and higher air fuel ratio when in boost, PLUS being parasitical

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

oh shit I never said I cared about the OP either

whoa

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>but i did eat breakfast this morning

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

If you keep them out of boost, they really don't. That's why manufacturers are using them. Give the cars power, but have them sip fuel under low load.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

If you keep them out of boost, they really don't. That's why manufacturers are using them. Give the cars power, but have them sip fuel under low load.

I bought a turbo car but drive exclusively in city stop and go traffic. I stay out of boost below 4k, got 9L/100km (26 mpg) today, feels good.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>(26 mpg) today
          I can get that in my Corvette

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

First manual car, it's hard for me aight?

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

superchagers are not reliable and nede to be rebuilt every 20k miles

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Turbos don't sap anywhere near as much power from the engine and you can drive them off-boost, which reduces fuel consumption.

5. 2 weeks ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

the little turbo 1.4l moves this 3000lb car pretty damn well and I average 40-45mpg every trip
    I wouldn't want a hybrid to get 5mpg better and then unleash an entire hell of batteries and secondary systems on my car, rather just take a 5mpg hit and have pure easy to repair ICE

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>easy to repair ICE
      >turbo
      >vw

kek i am laffin

• 2 weeks ago
        [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

it's at 75k miles without a single problem
        also, I'm a mechanic, I work on BMW and VW all the time, it's not that bad

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>rip head gasket
      >rip main seal
      >rip piston rings
      nothing personal kiddo.
      i'd rather have a I6 NA without a turbo. i can handle 20mpg, on balance it's still cheaper than a neurotic little 4cyl that has emotional breakdowns at 100k miles and shits itself into the junkyard.

• 2 weeks ago
        [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

>i'd rather have a I6
        I have 4 I6 vehicles, I don't have to choose which one I have, I have all the options registered and insured and ready to drive

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

nice, so what's your preference? (No snark, genuinely curious)

• 2 weeks ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

I drive the turbo 4 cylinder the most obviously, it gets the best mpg and I drive like 3k miles per month, sometimes 5k miles
            I've put 75k on that car in 3 years, not counting all my other cars which have also got a shit ton of miles put on them

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Dumb question, but has anyone thought of routing the compressed air from an AC unit to the engine intake??

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I think Dodge does it with the Hellcat.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Correct.
        Hellcats (not all of them, but certain trims) can route cold air from the HVAC system straight into the engine air box.
        It still has to be buzzed with hot ram air because the system can’t output enough cold air to feed this beast.

Turbos perform better but superchargers sound way better and at the end of the day, that is all I care about.

This. Not just the supercharger noise, but the fact that the exhaust pipeline is completely unrestricted.
        Turbos get on the way of the exhaust, muffling and giving it that tubular sound.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Interchillers sort of do this. They're an AC heat exchanger that plumbs into your factory or aftermarket intercooler. The heat exchanger tees into your AC system and a pump circulates extremely cold coolant to the intercooler. It'll actually ice up your intercooler and get you almost winter post boost IAT's.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Turbos help reclaim wasted power, without eating too much of their own, through backpressure. Belt-driven blowers use power that could've gone to the wheels.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Turbos have turbolag. Superchargers have smooth and instantaneous power delivery.

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

bigger engine is almost always better than a blower for manufactured street cars in terms of linear power delivery. turbos provide a weak low end power band for fuel efficient daily driving by allowing the use of a smaller engine for the same peak power

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

imagine...... the bigger engine with a turbo

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Would have the fuel consumption of the big engine out of boost and even more power when on it
        Not ideal if you've got fuel economy regs to satisfy

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

So better than the big engine in every way

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

imagine a stroker LS no boost required https://youtu.be/XPwjmDQrBss

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Imagine a stroker ls.... with a turbo

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous
          • 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

look at mr frickin moneybags over here. junkyard 4.8, ebay turbos, and as big a bottle as you can sneak past the safety inspector with no cage and lap belts

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Turbos better more reliable easier to cool more power more boost lag isn't an issue anymore

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Better question, why don't manufacturers just use nitrous instead of complicated turbos. Computer can read power demand and spray as needed till the nitrous is used up at which point it's refilled at the dealer

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>just CONSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM more!

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Air is free homie
      Just pump it in with a turbo lmao

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Turbos perform better but superchargers sound way better and at the end of the day, that is all I care about.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *