why lgp so rare ?

It's more than twice cheaper per litre. It's roughly the same 'mileage'.

The math speaks for itself.
3Ls:
Little bit less trunk space.
Little bit fewer refueling stations
Little bit inconvenience that you can't leave car in underground car park. Well just leave it outside then, what's the problem ?There's enough shopping malls with outdoors car park anyways.

That's negligible compared with the fact that you can run your car twice you can half your car usage expenses. I don't get it.

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

> Do you look back with nostalgia to a time when you could fill up your car for under £30? I don't. Because £30 is all I pay to fill up my Toyota estate when everyone else is paying at least £60.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/sep/30/lpg-conversion-green-cheaper

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

LPG is extremely popular in Poland. They import luxo barges with poor fuel economy from western countries for cheap and install an LPG kit for under €1k. They make back the cost for the kit in fuel savings in less than a month.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Also
      Less power
      Need to drill through chassis
      Need to do some electric frickery
      Higher chance for funny boomboom

Yup, everyone calls me moronic for not installing LPG in my bimmer or buying one that already has it, but I'm just not gonna do it. When I was looking for mine, I was specifically looking for one without it. There are more of them with than without LPG.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

double whammy
        WOMBO COMBO

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

kek based moron
        >less power
        ehh, varies per kit. With the kinda kits you polaks are running, yeah true. But why not just set it to switch over to gasoline on high load?

>They make back the cost for the kit in fuel savings in less than a month.
        What the frick? Does gasoline really cost that much compared to propane in Europe? Whenever I see propane for sale at a gas station in the states, it's only marginally cheaper than gas.

yeah like 1/3rd the price per litre

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>But why not just set it to switch over to gasoline on high load?
          Or, I can just drive on gas and not give a frick because I work from home and drive on average 2 times a week and half of that driving is highway where I get under 7l/100km

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>running towards tank
        genius

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>They make back the cost for the kit in fuel savings in less than a month.
      What the frick? Does gasoline really cost that much compared to propane in Europe? Whenever I see propane for sale at a gas station in the states, it's only marginally cheaper than gas.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

i think the reason it isnt popular is because the general public is moronic. Gasoline and diesel are easy to understand because they are liquids. But lpg is a gas under pressure, not onky making the car more explosive, but the gas stations full of morons liable to cause serious damage

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I always thought it would wear more on the engine but it turns out I was wrong.
    >Can LPG harm my engine? LPG burns cleaner than either petrol or diesel and will therefore cause less wear on your engine's components. As such, having an LPG vehicle can increase the lifespan of the engine - and reduce maintenance costs.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Get an install with lubrication function and you're good.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

well LPG burns at a higher temp

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>LPG burns cleaner than either petrol or diesel and will therefore cause less wear on your engine's components.
      thank you, sweet Lady Propane.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Little bit less trunk space.
    Do an underslung build
    >Little bit fewer refueling stations
    Just drive on regular gas until you get to one, there's still plenty. Also don't drive until it's empty (bad for filter), go refuel on time.
    >Little bit inconvenience that you can't leave car in underground car park.
    Basically nobody checks and this is an old outdated rule from when LPG became popular in the 1980's and shit was badly built so it leaked and most garages were badly ventilated so the gas stayed put and caught fire. This isn't the case anymore in modern times, they should honestly revise this rule.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Where I am at in the USA autogas (LPG) costs more than 91 Octane fuel, and is generally harder to acquire at public stations : there are only 48 in my state and only 2 in my county. You could try and get it filled from a standard LPG filler like a hardware store, but those usually are limited to 20lb tank fills, and not a car size tank. Fleets like buses and utility vehicles may run LPG, but its not common.

Generally autogas was only cheaper because it was heavily subsidized (~50c off, when conventional fuels were still about 1.60 a gallon), but the subsidy expired over a decade ago.

Like wise I own a gasoline sedan instead of a diesel sedan. Why, for much the same reason. Diesel is 5.50 a gallon when 93 Octane is about 3.80.
      the diesel model of the car simply does not get the fuel economy to even cover the fuel cost difference.

Most sedans I have ever worked on have the fuel tank behind the rear seat in the trunk no matter the fuel source. Would a LPG pressure vessel take up all that much room compared to say, an 80l petrol fuel tank?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

> buses and utility vehicles

Diesel is much more power efficient for heavier duty and highway driving but oversimplified generally speaking most people drive sedans sedans in city. Need to google the figure but I heard is roughly the same(lpg a bit less efficient)

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You may have alternatives where you don't sacrifice trunk space rather use spare pool

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

IF you take out heavy duty vehicles from equation only about 1/10 is lpg.

What the frick ? LPG Is HALF THE PRICE.HALF. PRICE. HALF!!!

People can't be this dumb. Common.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Many automakers (even budget ones) don't offer LPG engines as factory standard for passenger cars, they're dealer installs.
      And most people aren't 100% with taking a sawzall to their bodywork to install a gas port.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

> Lets just everybody drive twice expensive fuel for ... frick knows what.

It's just can't be. I don't believe my eyes.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>balkan homiez

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What I'm gathering from this thread is that Europe is a terrible place. Here in the US, Propane and Gasoline are nearly identical in price per gallon, which means the propane is a TERRIBLE deal. Gasoline has ~35% more energy density. Some morons will say "it's almost the same, actually propane has MORE energy!" Propane does have a greater specific energy, ~7% more than gas, but it's FAR less dense than gasoline. If you actually do the math, it's around 26% less energy for your money. For Americans, that means you're paying around 26% more for every mile driven. Given they're almost the same price here, it'd be moronic to even consider it unless you have inexplicably cheap access to LPG. LPG is very nearly the same price in the US as it is in most of Europe, but our gasoline is typically 50%-75% less than any Euro country. No incentive to ever offer LPG cars in the US with our gas and diesel so comparatively cheap.

If you want car makers to produce LPG cars, there needs to be a market for it. Around 70% of vehicle sales globally occur in the US or China. In China, LPG is only very slightly cheaper than it is in the US or Europe, within 10% generally. Their gasoline is only around 10% more than the US typically, so still FAR less than it costs in Europe. That's 70% of the global car market that doesn't want or need LPG because gasoline or diesel is cheaper to run. The only automakers that would ever bother with such a thing are Euro-centric companies, which is why the biggest producers of LPG vehicles in Europe are Dacia and Opel. Ford, Fiat, Hyundai, Kia, and Renault also have LPG vehicles in Euroland, but in tiny numbers for specific cases, they're fleet vehicles. In Europe, only Dacia and Opel produce "normal" vehicles with an LPG option.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I've been thinking about doing an LPG kit on my car, but something that I haven't been able to find information about is using LPG to increase power on turbocharged cars. Everything that talks about power is in the context of naturally aspirated engines, where a little bit of power is lost. I have a turbocharged engine. Since LPG is more resistant to detonation (something like 110 octane equivalent) and also cools the intake charge, I should be able to run more boost (assuming adequately sized turbo) and make more power right? As I understand it, the LPG kits typically piggy-back off the factory ECU to determine how much LPG to inject based on PWM signal sent to the factory fuel injectors. With my current tune, I'm basically at the limits of the injectors. Would it be possible to skip upgrading the factory fuel system and just have higher output when running on LPG?

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Little bit inconvenience that you can't leave car in underground car park
    why not

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Gas accumulation and gta_wasted.wav risk.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I used to drive school busses and a lot of the conventional busses (engine in front of the passenger compartment) have ford v10 engines running lpg, and they got like 3mpg whereas the diesel flatnose busses got like 5mpg

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

yeah but in normal cars it's not that big of a difference. It's about 20% less efficient for 100% less cost.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>The math speaks for itself.
    Boy you've been doing meth instead of math. You get nowhere near the same mpg as gas

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

yeah but in normal cars it's not that big of a difference. It's about 20% less efficient for 100% less cost.

LPG has 1/3 less energy to begin with relative to gasoline. To only take a 20% hit to mpg it would have to gain significantly on efficiency vs. the OEM setup. My guess is more like 35-40% in most setups, which means anywhere the price difference isn't as extreme as eastern Europe the conversion quickly makes a lot less sense.

https://i.imgur.com/xSQIsbl.jpg

It's more than twice cheaper per litre. It's roughly the same 'mileage'.

The math speaks for itself.
      3Ls:
      Little bit less trunk space.
      Little bit fewer refueling stations
      Little bit inconvenience that you can't leave car in underground car park. Well just leave it outside then, what's the problem ?There's enough shopping malls with outdoors car park anyways.

That's negligible compared with the fact that you can run your car twice you can half your car usage expenses. I don't get it.

My truggg has a propane bottle because a little bit of propane added to diesel is kinda like a little bit of nitrous in a gas engine.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I drove a LPG 305/5.0 in a 88 C1500 for years and never once had an issue. I have a 88 K1500 with dual fuel but it is currently broken. I will probably repair the issues it has and drive it as it's a pretty nice truck. The engine oil barely gets dirty in between changes on my LPG vehicles I've owned over the years. I always thought it was neat so I've owned a few over the years. It is a very reliable fuel system with few moving parts to break. The problem is that new vehicles use plastic intake manifolds and a backfire or fire can cause a bunch of damage vs basically nothing in a cast iron or aluminum manifold. Overall I would say buy a square body on propane or something.

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm way out of date, but years ago, I talked to several different guys (I think from the netherlands and maybe germany) who were running LPG. One of them had done the conversion to a boattail riviera and I don't remember the others. If I remember right, the biggest problem, other than a custom tank and hardened seats, is getting a mixer that'll handle 7.5 liters, or any big motor. One of the guys finally went with dual-quad intake and two smaller mixers.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It has nothing to do with performance or cost.

It's about infrastructure.
    Everything from dispensing to storage to transport.
    We've spent 100 years getting a gas station on every corner so you can drive from coast to coast and take a random freeway offramp to some podunk town and fill up your gas tank.
    Imagine living in a town with 50 gas stations but only 2 have LPG.
    Comvienece wins out every time.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *