Why the FRICK won't my car get emissions ready? I drove like 100 miles already

Why the FRICK won't my car get emissions ready? I drove like 100 miles already

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I had emissions problem when my mass airflow sensor was malfunctioning and it was compressing air like no tomorrow, leading to incomplete combustion and black smoke at the end

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That would trip an error code

In my case there's no problem, I just derped and reset the sensors a while back and hoped they would be ready by the time I gotta smog my car.

It's about "drive cycles" not mileage.

I know, but it's very unclear on what exactly needs to be done. I found instructions for a similar car that said I gotta drive at 50mph for 3 minutes, 3 times. And accelerate "rapidly" from 0-55. And do 3 overrun cycles. But I did all that shit 10-20 times over and nothing happened

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Didn't error for me, only the sensor readings were wild and engine took it at face value. But you're right, 'incomplete' is ambiguous and not very helpful. I'd like the apps to be exact on what it's measuring and where we are

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's about "drive cycles" not mileage.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That too, could be literally incomplete cycle count

• 2 weeks ago
      Kevin Van Dam

There’s a bunch of variables I have heard of. Make sure it’s like 1/4 to 3/4 of a tank of gas, plus a good mix of highway and city driving. I wouldn’t be surprised if it wants to see environmental factors too, like if it’s super cold or 90F+ every time you drive the car, maybe thay effects it?

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What Is a Drive Cycle?
    A Drive Cycle replicates the conditions of a person going out and driving his vehicle after it has been sitting overnight. First, he cold starts his engine and it warms up a bit while he is buckling his seat belt, selecting the radio station or CD he wants and adjusting the volume, and letting the windows defrost a little. The car is then driven through stop and go scenarios through city streets at speeds of 25 to 35 mph. Then, the car enters the freeway and accelerates briskly at half throttle or more to match the speed of the other drivers as the they enter the flow of the freeway traffic. Then the vehicle is driven at a steady, conservative speed of between 55 and 60 mph for at least four to five miles.

After this, the vehicle pulls off the freeway and is driven a bit more in city driving conditions before pulling into a parking place where the engine idles for 20 to 30 seconds before being turned off. On many vehicles, one of these Drive Cycles is sufficient enough to set all or most of the Readiness Monitors. Other vehicles require that this entire process be repeated on two or more successive days.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

what the frick. do Americans really?? I thought it was a free country

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

depends on your state, the cool ones will let you register anything you want and drive it until the end of time. you have to be moronic to like cars and live in a state that does inspections.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because it's some stupid shit ass euro diesel.
    You may want to ask your local smog ref if any of the monitors are allowed to be incomplete to pass.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Hed probably charge me another $60 just to ask

Anyone know the law on if I can side skirt one of these? I have a 2015 BMW

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

We really doing some stupid shit to our cars here. Diesel is artificially not worth it here because of our completely braindead legislation

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Our inspectors don't even bother with the OBD on diesels, just insert a sensor to the exhaust and give it a go.

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>he boughted a OBD2 shitbox
    i cant believe the morons of doing that

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Can anyone help me find out what drive cycle I need to do to solve this? I found this on Google but it's for an E70 (previous gen) not an F15

I did the steps for exhaust gas sensor at least 5 times over so far and the sensor still says incomplete. I'm thinking these steps might be wrong

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I'm thinking these steps might be wrong
      I'm thinking you might not understand the instructions. When it's warm, speed up to highway speeds. Keep your foot off the pedals (no braking) and coast down to residential neighborhood speeds. Repeat.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I vroom to 55-60 then let off the gas for 15 seconds. Repeat.
        That's what the frick I did.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>I vroom to 55-60 then let off the gas for 15 seconds
          Did you drop down to less than 25?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No, around 40.
            I live in LA so this is rather difficult to do, I had to drive up to Malibu just to to get a highway that wasn't backed up but they have stoplights every 3-5 minutes. Luckily that means more 0-55 cycles

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Do you think the instructions are accurate? https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10138381-9999.pdf
        My best guess is this isn't for my region (e.g. for America it's 70mph or something) or it's incorrect for my car (F15 xdrive 35d)

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Guys I just need one more omfg....

The PM one is a bust since 2 dpf regen cycles is like 600 fricking miles of driving. Oh and I live in LA so the highway is always jammed. Bruh frick me.... I'm gonna have to spend an entire day doing a road trip to Vegas just for some open road. TWICE.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

kek, have you tried living in a state where diesels are exempt (basically all states except cuckifornia)

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yeah boys we making progress

But this last one is fricked. Maybe the sensor is busted or something

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

it can take 1000 miles for the Exhaust Gas sensor monitor to complete. Drive to Vegas and back and drive a consistent speed. Make sure there's no pending codes for EGT related stuff.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

No fricking way it takes a thousand miles. All the documentation I've seen says to drive around 50mph and never exceed 60. How do you expect that to be possible on an interstate highway?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

okay, what car are we dealing with here? year make and model.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

2015 X5 xdrive 35d

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Accelerate the vehicle at high load (floor it) from a standing start to 50 mph (80 km/h). Drive at a constant speed of 50 mph (80 km/h) for 20 minutes.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

there is also this guidance in a TSB released in 2018. Couldn't get the text to copy on my phone so pic rel is the screencap

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/Sv8nDpR.jpeg

there is also this guidance in a TSB released in 2018. Couldn't get the text to copy on my phone so pic rel is the screencap

Does "high power" really mean floor it? I did with 70% throttle and figured that should be enough. It's hard to believe that this test would require flooring it. In fact many people say to never exceed 3000 rpm or the entire test cycle is reset

But yeah, I guess this means I have to drive out to fricking west Malibu just to find a "slow" highway with no stoplights. If some surfer gay cuts across the highway and blocks me I'm just gonna keep driving

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

just get on i-15 and get in the right lane, turn hazards on and follow a slow semi-truck.
            i don't know what high power means but i didn't read anything about exceeding 3k rpm cancelling the monitor for that specific monitor. you should be good to floor it or at least drive "briskly" i.e. maintaining substantial boost pressure for the entire acceleration.
            these modern diesels are really annoying and it's hard to figure out how to get the monitors to set. if you have a scanner you can monitor your EGT sensor and make sure it's actually reporting a temperature while driving. if not reporting, or cutting out, it may not set a code but make the monitor never set.
            alternatively you can get your car registered out of state and never deal with this shit again lol.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Right lane has people merging on and off at every on ramp. I tried this before and couldn't make it 3 minutes without some dude getting all in my shit and flashing lights

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Bump? Do I need to drive for 15 minutes continuously at 50mph to get the last sensor to pass? This is nearly impossible in LA because highways go much faster and there's regular traffic jams

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>vehicle has to be prepped to pass emissions test.
    This is like a prostitute taking one STD test in her life.
    >ya I passed the test that one day so we're all good, right?

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Tweak your driving style, check what the smog system readiness cycles are and drive like that. Some of them you have to coast for a while and you're probably a lead foot.

Just drive a few thousand miles and don't smog it until then.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>you're probably a lead foot
      I'm literally the opposite I've done probably 15 overrun cycles so far so I'm confident I'm not missing that.

My only hunch is that I gotta drive nonstop at 50 for 20 minutes. This step is really hard to do in practicality

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You need italian tuneup.
    Just driving is not enough, you need hot exhaust/high temps.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I did a dpf regen and got my exhaust gas temp to 675c. Measured using bimmerlink + obd2. It ain't getting any hotter.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *