Why was the American sports sedan never as hyped as its Japanese and Euro counterparts? Obligatory Z24

Why was the American sports sedan never as hyped as its Japanese and Euro counterparts?

Obligatory Z24

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>fwd
    >sports

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Looks like a coupe to me. Only 2 doors there.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Tested: 1989 Ford Taurus SHO Shocks the World
    >From the Archive: The fastest four-door sedan you can buy for less than $50,000.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15142141/1989-ford-taurus-sho-road-test-review/

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Shocks the world.
      The world doesn't revolve around America. That wasn't even that fast or good handling for the late 80s. Just import LHD saffies.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Sorta weird how Ford couldn't do a decent performance engine on its own. It was either outsourced to Cosworth or Yamaha.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

They did, it just wouldn't work in a FWD shitbox.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Didn't it?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Or just have Mazda make the whole car.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You're clearly a moron who didn't read the article at all.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I read the pertinent facts.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

then you would've known that it actually had great handling and out classed the 300E, 560SEL, the Audi 200 Turbo, Saab 9000 Turbo. there was basically nothing you were going to buy that was going to beat it. even the cosworth you posted was slightly slower.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It didn't outclass any of those lol. Maybe in biased American car tests it did. Anyone old enough to have actually driven those cars knows different.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>copes immensely

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I've driven an 89 taurus and a 300e actually.

The merc was a boat with a slushbox.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

terrible, terrible cope

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>The world doesn't revolve around America
        should we tell him?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>That wasn't even that fast or good handling for the late 80s. Just import LHD saffies.
        That was literally better than most of Ferraris lineup at the time unironically.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What the frick are you talking about everyone wanted an IROC-Z or a Mustang GT

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>sports sedan

>IROC-Z
      >Mustang GT
      Are you OK?

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>because BOAT

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous
      • 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Gutless 140hp V6 was the top tier option
        >FWD
        >probably slushbox automatic

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

140 hp is plenty in a car that small and light

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I had one of those first Z24's and it was a pretty fun car. It didn't have a lot of power, it wasn't pretending to be some kind of high performance sports car or anything. It was just an econobox that was kicked up a notch, like a Civic type R, or a Golf GTI, or a Taurus SHO.

What it did have was a good deal of torque which peaked pretty early in the RPM range and a manual gearbox so it was a fairly peppy car. Also the handling was fairly exceptional compared to most US cars in the late 80's. And the styling and interior did have a pretty cool aesthetic IMO. All in all, I'd give it a solid 7/10.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

140/2500 gives you the power-to-weight higher than the type K spoons that would come out a few years later.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Cause american "sports" sedans were either garbage or they were built by the japanese. America didn't get good at building transverse layouts till they gave up and contracted europeans. Even at that they still weren't as reliable or put together as well

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

At least post a cool one.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That's just a Ford Scorpio, those are European.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Still about as close as you're going to get.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

People forgetting about the Spirit R/T, the car that bullied the Taurus SHO into submission and went up against the BMW M5

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Sure, but they didn't really sell for shit. Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth cars of that era were generally poorly built and the reason people bough them was because they were fairly inexpensive. Most people didn't give a shit about it being fast, so having a more expensive version of that car just moved it up into the price bracket of larger more roomy sedans which it couldn't compete with on a practicality basis.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It was like 40 grand brand new and competed with the BMW M5. It was approximately half the price of an M5

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yes, I know it was fast and considerably cheaper than an M5. But like I said people just weren't willing to pay that much for a dodge shadow no matter how fast it went.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

delusional

Ford Black folk are pathetic
            >hurr dey wernt built gud
            >durr dey didnt sell well
            It's always the same fricking cope

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Just because I was ragging on Dodge doesn't mean I don't also think Ford was garbage. Pretty much all US cars were built like shit in that era, until they got fed up with the japs beating them in their own market and decided to try to up their quality.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>moronic zoomer acting like he knows anything
            The first gen Taurus blew the contemporary Accord or a Camry out of the water. They literally didn't catch up until the next decade.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm not even a ford Black person you're just delusional if you think the spirit was anything other than forgettable

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

delusional

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>dodge spirit r/t: 3rd place
            >ford taurus sho: 1st place
            >Incredibly, despite the car's grip and enormous straight-line speed advantage, whoever was driving the R/T inevitably fell behind the other two clippers through the challenging curves of Ohio's southeastern quadrant. "It's easily upset by potholes during brisk cornering," one tester wrote. "And the steering loses precision above 70 mph."
            NTA's but I think you're intentionally missing both of their points. Yes, it was quicker in a straight line. But it was still a k-car shitbox. Hence why the SHO lived on for 3 more generations and the Spirit was relinquished to the realm of it's namesake. So to say it "bullied the SHO into submission" is outright moronic.
            https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a36053183/1991-american-performance-sedan-comparison-test/

In a straight line maybe

>Car and Driver's breathless 1984 review even praised the car's cornering and responsiveness, both areas where the older Corvettes had struggled.
            >"The Corvette beat Porsche 29–0 from 1985 to 1987."
            https://www.slashgear.com/1137330/the-true-story-of-how-the-corvette-was-banned-for-being-too-fast/

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Not a US car. It was a European car which was imported (from Germany I think?) by Ford US and sold under a sub-brand that only existed for like 5 years.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Still pretty dope tho

8. 3 weeks ago
    s10fag

cavalier z24 sucked until the quad4 h.o., which like the yamaha powered taurus, was only competitive with japanese offerings and aged like milk. the J bodies are still shit heaps and the contour svt sodomizes the pathetic 3.0. even the mighty lq4 made less power than the standard iteration of the 3.9 ohv would make just a decade later.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Suspensions just weren’t refined.

American cars were low-effort trash until the mid 90s when some thought started to be given to chassis rigidity and suspension. Hitting on the “small, light car with something better than a fricking wheezy 60hp engine,” base was a huge upgrade, but Americans never truly understood it and so they ended up packing on size with upgrades to engine and suspension, so we never got a truly world-class sports car.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Ever heard of the Corvette?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Absolute junk until the C5.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

it still shat on everything the japs and euros made barring super cars like the F40 and 959.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

In a straight line maybe

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

yea

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Kek how is a c4 going head to head with a t2 rx7. If that doesn't tell how bad america was, i dunno what does

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

were jap cars so shit that america beating them somehow makes america look bad? i don't get it. it also beat the 911. so what should the corvette be going up against if not cars from its own era?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Funny how they objectively all performed better than European contemporaries though

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

And then it was too wide to fit on the street

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Why was the American sports sedan never as hyped as its Japanese and Euro counterparts

Because the US didn't really join that game until decades after Japan and Europe did, and even then it wasn't a very good showing.

What good sports sedans has the US offered? There's the Taurus SHO, which was alright but in the end Tauruses were boring and ugly so taking one and making it go faster wasn't enough for most people to give a shit, most people who wanted a Taurus wanted it for its family or commuter car role. Other entrants like the Neon SRT4, Focus RS, or Cobalt SS were just little high performance econoboxes that despite having 4 doors were more aligned with the hot hatch market than the sports sedan market. And there were attempts at making high performance versions of big boaty sedans like the Impala SS and the Mercury Marauder, but in no way could those be considered sporty vehicles. I'd say the first real competitors in the sports sedan market to come out of the US didn't happen until fairly recently, and were in more of a "luxury" market which put them out of reach of a lot of people. Like perhaps the CTS-V. Maybe you could consider the Chevy SS, but then that was technically an Australian car.

Just about all of the sports car focus in the US was put towards coupes. Honestly, I don't think the US ever really took a decent go at the sports sedan market. And now with the market being almost nothing but SUV's and crossovers it's unlikely that we'll ever see that happen.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

2024... I am forgotten...

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How has nobody posted this semen demon yet?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

There was nothing sporty about that car. It was heavy, it had a garbage suspension, the engine was weak, and the transmission was made of sludge.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The joke is from Robocop.
      >6000 Sux

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The bottom line is up until maybe the 2010's, a US sports sedan was basically just a junky US commuter sedan with the power cranked up to 11. It was pretty much just the same old US "muscle car" mentality applied to family cars. They were no competition for the more refined sports sedans the Japanese and European manufacturers were putting out.

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

IMO I think the styling was awful. Look at sports cars from Japan in the late 80s and 90s, Sick.

The American sports cars looked like small chrome deletes from the 70s and early 80s. America made great Olds,Buick,Caddy, and Lincoln those were where the Americans shined for that decade and not sports cars.

Just look how everything but the Firebird, Camaro, Foxbody Mustang, and RS200 was from the front. Fricking ugly emaciated versions of luxury barges.

Yuck.

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Why was the American sports sedan never as hyped as its Japanese and Euro counterparts?
    There are hardly any American sports sedans.
    I can only name Impala SS from 1996, Dodge Spirit, Cadillac CTSV and Dodge Charger SRT and maybe Dodge Neon SRT but that's about it.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Other than the SHO, there really weren't any until the 2000s.
      I wouldn't consider the Impala SS a sports sedan, maybe a muscle sedan at best.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

muscle cars are considered sport cars so same shit

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

We don't need to make compromises in America. If you want/wanted a comfy and practical vehicle you buy a sedan or a truck. If you want something fun you buy a muscle car or a sports car. We have the freedom to own both and don't need a shitty compromise of the two.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You're telling me the ideal American of the time would have both an S10 and a Z28??

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Oh no. You need a truck, a hot rod, AND a motorcycle. This wisdom was imparted to me by a college roommate many years ago.

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

superior gm engineering always wins

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Did someone say sport sedan??

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

the Lincoln LS is cool. Problem with american sports sedans is they are mostly boring sedans with big engines. They don't really look sleek or sporty

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The LS wasn't a sports sedan, it was big, sluggish, and clumsy luxury sedan. Having 4 doors and a big engine aren't the only aspects that matter.

20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>RS2000 was literally a homologation special.
    >'95 Cobra Rs were only sold to people with racing licenses
    Troll somewhere else moron, no (you) for you.

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

>this forced "purely" meme again
    have a nice day

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>This low IQ misunderstanding of the meaning of words again
      Educate yourself

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Elaborate then, moron

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Elaborate then, moron

Don't feed the troll Anon.

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

don't people fricking love the ford focus rs?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Focus is ford europe's domain, doesn't count.

23. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

thats the beauty of american engineering. Not only are they the pinnacle of sporting machinery, but they also can bring 4 people and their belongings with them at 140mph on the race track around a corner

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *