Will be trying to complete this race in a few years on my motorcycle any good book recs for long distance adventures.

Will be trying to complete this race in a few years on my motorcycle… any good book recs for long distance adventures. West Sahara/spain/desert books. Or books to bring on the trail with me.

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Morocco: Paul Bowles, in particular the Moroccan chapters of Their Heads are Green and their Hands are Blue, and also his short stories
    Western Sahara: Southern Mail by Antoine de St Exupery
    Mauritania: The Wreck of the Medusa by Alexander McKee (highly recommend)
    Senegal: the diaries of Mungo Park, the poetry of Leopold Senghor
    Guinea: don't know much Guinean lit but I liked the novel The King of Kahel
    You might also enjoy the book A Labyrinth of Kingdoms about the explorer Barth, although it's not specific to your route.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Damn seems like u know a lot. You’ve been in the Sahara before?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Been to southern Morocco many times. Been to Mauritania and Senegal twice. You're gonna have a great trip.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Pray tell anon, how were your experiences in those places?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'll keep the answer literary-related: in a world where we're so steeped in irony like fish who can't taste the water they're swimming in, it's a very wholesome thing to spend time among people who exist without irony or postmodern cynicism and to see the world through their eyes.

Paul Bowles kinda sucks. I would suggest Naked Lunch instead.

>Paul Bowles kinda sucks
            yes he does. It's a vibe, though

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They don't have irony or postmodernism because they're illiterate 60 iq Black folk. But they still wander around in unsold Chinese sneakers and t-shirts of the losing superbowl team from 2 years ago, so they're the butt of a postmodern joke.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Paul Bowles kinda sucks. I would suggest Naked Lunch instead.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

oh i forgot Sierra Leone: It's not really about travel but Land of Magic Soldiers is a remarkable book, if you're gonna read any books about the war. Real jungle warfare mercenary kino.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'll keep the answer literary-related: in a world where we're so steeped in irony like fish who can't taste the water they're swimming in, it's a very wholesome thing to spend time among people who exist without irony or postmodern cynicism and to see the world through their eyes.

[...]
      >Paul Bowles kinda sucks
      yes he does. It's a vibe, though

good poasts broseph

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Looks cool.

Nice.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yes

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's not much of a race when everyone has to get on a scheduled ferry from Terifa to Tangier.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Ya I won’t even be doing the race event… I sorta just wanna complete it, that’s all. and take in the culture in around me while doing so.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I would suggest you get comfortable with strict Muslim culture, it hits immediately when you get to Morocco. They will either treat you as a mark or with open hostility. Forget about parties, friends, or beer. Know the etiquette for giving bribes and have bribe money handy. Carry lots of cash and a decoy wallet or two for when you get mugged. Your French better be good, and you better be taking your own transportation with you on the ferry. I don't know what exactly you're looking for down there but I don't think you are going to find it.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Morocco is not that strict. I lived there for a bit and went to parties and got drunk at bars every weekend. I also never got mugged, but every mf is trying to scam you, especially in big cities w/ touristy spots like Marrakech. English is also very prevalent, but a little French can go a long way.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Ya I heard once they figure out ur a westerner. It’s an easy 20x. All I wanna buy is a fkn sand scarf from down there. So I won’t be buying much.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Hahahah thanks for the advice. my party days are coming to an end anyways. Too much time spent in German techno clubs lmaoo. What I’m looking for is adventure and the thrill. And I understand there has to be some level of danger for that experience. So I embrace it and know the risk. Also to see life so raw on the road. Is something I always wanted to feel. Adventure is a dying thing in our age. So to help revive it feels inspiring.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

If you’d really been to Morocco you’d know it’s in the really orthodox Muslim areas you find the most openness and hospitality. Only place you’re likely to get mugged is in the Europeanized cities. Serious crimes against tourists happen maybe once every five years.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm reading Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger at the moment. It is several expeditions In southern Arabia by the author in the mid 20th century. He romanticizes the harsh journeys fittingly.
    Are you traveling alone?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I still have a lot of time before hand. So maybe I’ll meet someone who will want to go with me. I’m not opposed to it. But right now yes I will be going by myself. But the expedition is with a bunch of other people so I’ll definitely find some buddies to share the desert with.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>sierra Leone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Long_Way_Gone

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

This is a famous one, there are other ways to learn.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

In Desert and Wilderness by Henryk Sienkiewicz

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Op here… any books recs about long distance traveling. Dosent have to be in the Sahara. It could be from Europe to Asia. I really don’t care. Something that shows a long voyage.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Anabasis
      Sailing Alone Around the World
      Beasts, Men and Gods
      Endurance

sorry I dunno any ones from modern times, all travel lit is a blog nowadays

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Antoine de St Exupery's sand wind and stars (terre des hommes if you speak French) is a great book. A lot - but not all - of it is about the Sahara (it's essentially a very short memoir of his aviation years, which he mainly spent flying over the Sahara desert). It's a very good book to read when doing the kind of travelling you're going to do - it's all about human resilience and greatness, nature and civilisation in a very uplifting way (it's very french).

I know you said you're looking for travel books, but I'd also recommend anything by Amadou Hampate Ba. He's a very famous Malian writer, I've read a bit of his memoirs and loved it. His books really put you in the mindspace of people from that region, and are very informative all while being light-hearted (like most African literature). He's heavily influenced by the oral traditions of the griots in West Africa

Also, I'm a huge fan of desert landscapes and of that specific region of the world (you should look into Tuareg music) so I think that specific itinerary is very cool, but why is it so popular? The overwhelming majority of people I've heard about who are doing long-distance journeys like that are motorbiking/driving from Europe to West Africa.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *