Will city cars ever make a comeback in the US?

Will city cars ever make a comeback in the US? All we have left are the Mini Cooper and the Fiat 500e (which I won’t buy since EVs suck more wiener than I do). I just want a cute small car to drive to work and run errands 🙁

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

mini aren't city cars anymore, they're pretty much c segment these days.
    americans don't buy small cars, so no, they won't make a comeback. import a nissan figaro from japan if you want a cute small car.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Nissan has an atrocious privacy policy though. They openly admit to tracking and selling your sexlife and daily decisions. Recording your speech, your cameras and travels, all sold to highest bidder

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Nevermind, something from 1991 probably doesen't have a broadband modem.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I know there are some used options out there and there are always imports but normies who just want something reliable with a warranty that can be serviced easily have no options left. I suppose you could argue we have a few “basic” options like the Nissan Versa or the Chevy Trax but those cars are much bigger than the average single person needs. I used to drive a two door Yaris and while it wasn’t the most inspiring car I loved how simple it was and how easy it was to maneuver. It was great for a young person who didn’t have a lot to spend. I’m in my 30s now and I have a decent career so I can buy something nicer but I’m just going to be sitting in traffic with everyone else so I don’t see the point.0GAXN

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

basic transportation? get fricked homo. now get in your giant ass debt wagon like everyone else
    land of the free baby!

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Unfortunately when every soccer mom is buying a trugg, your visibility and view outside is severely limited. You'll also be at a disadvantage when Karen t-bones you scrolling tiktok.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>You'll also be at a disadvantage when Karen t-bones you scrolling tiktok.
      City cars just require motorcyclist spidey senses. Any average DAtist that watches way too many dashcam videos can develop that sense rapidly.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

This. I tell my kids all the time: Driving is easy, avoiding the morons you share the road with is the hard part.
        t.Polo Gti owner.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>Driving is easy, avoiding the morons you share the road with is the hard part.
          I've found that I tend to time my driving away from other people. I've rarely been stuck in traffic, whether it's working night shifts, narrowly avoiding rush hours, or that I rarely live in cities. That makes for some pretty safe driving.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Comeback? Even subcompacts have historically struggled to survive. Fiat 500 might just be the only one ever to be called a success in US.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Fiat 500 might just be the only one ever to be called a success in US.
      The 500 is barely successful, but exists because it satisfies the city queer demographic that Mini abandoned, and Stellantis can keep it around since RAM, Jeep, and Chrysler Pacifica sales keep the company awash with lots of money.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

City cars are struggling in Europe too. Every moron is going for a crossover now, everything is bigger than it needs to be, even the poorgay choice is fat-looking instead of, you know, a small and cheap and nimble car. Smart are hideous now, share chassis with Renault, and they still haven't given a second chance to the Roadster concept. Renault has yet to update the thing that calls itself a Twingo; the 500 is a 17 years old design now, not that it matters because frick Fiat and especially frick Stellantis or whatever they're calling themselves this month; Ford discontinued all affordable cars, frick you Ford, I liked the Fiesta. Toyota making a Cross version of the Yaris, because as I was saying EVERYTHING is a crossover and overpriced now. I hate the current car market so much it's unreal.

City cars won't be coming back anytime soon OP, the best we can hope for in the small-cheap-city car segment is a chink EV shitbox that may or may not kill you.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

> City cars won't be coming back anytime soon OP
      I think there’s a chance we’ll see one last hurrah of cheap small cars if the global economy tanks and takes years to recover. If auto sales fall off a cliff every manufacturer has an “emerging markets” shitbox that they can beef up to pass first world safety standards. These might not be the stylish city cars we want but they’ll be better than nothing.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Not from the US, but have a look at the opel/Vauxhall adam, if they launched that side get either the 1.0t or the adam s, the NA 1.4 motor is ass

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/8hX48Cp.jpeg

In Oz we get the Mini and all versions of the 500, including a base gas powered model, but they're too expensive. Cheapest car(Au$20K) is the MG3 but they're CVT only. Only a few dollars more is the Kia Picanto which is a pretty good option for basic motoring. Next step up (Au$30K) is the Mazda2 and Suzuki Swift, both great cars. Just saying.

Those both look great. Frick I hate living in Burgerstan sometimes.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

In Oz we get the Mini and all versions of the 500, including a base gas powered model, but they're too expensive. Cheapest car(Au$20K) is the MG3 but they're CVT only. Only a few dollars more is the Kia Picanto which is a pretty good option for basic motoring. Next step up (Au$30K) is the Mazda2 and Suzuki Swift, both great cars. Just saying.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Kia Picanto
      Ah, the accidentally amphibious shitbox. People don't know how watertight those vehicles can be when they're new. Depending on the rims they can swim under their own power.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

How do you know that?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

i'm glad you asked! not that anon btw,

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Cheapest car(Au$20K) is the MG3 but they're CVT only.
      Given how shitty the MG3 is, why do Australians even bother? Or is it the Chinese invaders that buy it and complain that it's a shit car?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/8hX48Cp.jpeg

Turns out the MG3 is now in runout mode with the new model dropping any day. It will also arrive with an Au$5K price hike, making the Picanto the cheapest soon. I'm thinking the Kia is based at Au$20,690 driveaway (USD13,750)(includes all charges and 1yr registration) +520 for any colour but white

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Will city cars ever make a comeback in the US?
    Unfortunately, no. The market is too small even in a country of over 333 million. Americans just do not like small cars at all in general.

If you want a city car, go buy a Smart Fortwo or Scion iQ while they still exist. The iQ is known to last for the long haul, and the desirable Fortwos are 2016-2017 since they don't have the dogshit automated manual.

9. 1 month ago
    Greased Geese

this is what a city car should've looked like.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I think you meant picrel, the closes we ever got to ze pod.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I hate those designers that force hideous designs onto the public. Pods don't have to be ugly: I wish picrel didn't cost 10k, because I'd totally get one for my daily commute if it was half the price and had twice the range.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

nope, subcompacts were never a strong segment and the subcompact crossover class kills any chance of a comeback. 30mpg is generally considered good enough for americans, and as soon as they demand more efficiency we'll have hybrids of the corolla cross, venue, and seltos to raise the floor to 40mpg

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Because there are precisely two (2) cities in America dense enough to warrant purchasing a city car, and that's LA and NYC. You might even be able to make a case that it's only NYC.

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Just get a miata

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Toyota Corolla is still pretty small for the US and is a great car.

14. 1 month ago
    Greased Geese

>I think you meant picrel
    no i was compromising with the vw but this is my true agenda.

• 1 month ago
      Greased Geese

https://i.imgur.com/7PQXKcZ.jpeg

I think you meant picrel, the closes we ever got to ze pod.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Can I get a rundown on the i3? It seems like a cool concept to me, especially since the Mazda with the rotary range extender will never come to the us

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *