Will Dacia become new Skoda?

Both from post-commie countries. Both bought in 90s by European juggernauts with intention of making budget versions of their cars.

In 1991 Volkswagen started investing in Skoda and in 3 decades Skoda transformed from budget brand into Volkswagen's equivalent and a sensible alternative. Octavia (the first model designed under Volkswagen, released in 1996) became the people's car (tm) for millions of Europeans and still is the most popular model of Skoda (with almost 200k being sold in 2023). When Volkswagen went balls deep into electric moronation, it moved development of it's combustion engines to Skoda - move that pretty much saved VW after failure of ID series.

Dacia was bought by Renault in 1999. In 2004 Dacia Logan was released - successful combination of Clio, Thalia and Megane. In 2023 Dacia Sandero is (almost) the most popular car model sold in Europe (after Tesla Model Y). It still is considered a budget brand, but as an European I see positive word of mouth - similar to what I've seen with Skoda a decade (or two) ago. Dacia Duster owners even seem to created a prominent funclub that is as annoying as BMW gay cult.

Before moving out of Russia, Renault tried to make budget versions of Dacia models branded as Lada. There was a potential to re-introduce Lada as their budget brand to EU (after Lada moved from EU due to smoky engines in 2019). However let's back to question:

Is it just me or Dacia is becoming it's own thing?

With new generation it seems to distinct itself from Renault, with angular design that is different to Renault's curvy shapes. Again, something like with Skoda and Volkswagen (however with these two Volkswagen is angular and Skoda is curvy). With similar specs and electronic features, Dacia Sandero isn't much less expensive than Renault Clio. Same with Duster vs Captur. They have removed the old logo ("mark of shame" - as some people have call it) and even though that new white grille looks cheap as frick...

Idk, what DA thinks?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

that's way too much effort put into a post for this board man

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

should've bought the Sandero RS to europe

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>make a larger saloon than the Logan for about €20k, using the 1.6 naturally aspired petrol engine from Renault
    >build an estate car based on that
    >use the 1.6 engine inside the Logan
    >bring the Sandero RS to the European market
    >Duster pick up using the R-type engine
    There's a lot of potential, but I don't see them actually investing money in a brand that can outsell Renault.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

In Europe Dacia already outsells Renault. Maybe not in total numbers (it's like 557k vs 681k), but per model - absolutely. Difference is that Dacia offers less than a half of amount of models that Renault does.

Case of Hyundai shows that having 2 brands doing the same thing with some cosmetic differences is success. With Hyundai + Kia (and Kia actually outselling Hyundai by minimal margin) it became 4th in Europe (bigger than fricking Toyota) and 3rd in the world. With Renault and Dacia there's still some room for distinction (that's why models like Duster are being sold as Renault on some markets).

Bosses of Renault should already figure that out, sure they aren't morons, right? Right?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

one of the key points of an economy brand is having a streamlined product line, not eight different cars

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Most of their new models are "toughened". I guess Renault are trying to position Dacia as a rough & tough lifestyle brand.
    The new Duster: a boxy design, covered in hard-wearing, unpainted, recycled black plastic.
    The upcoming Bigster: a larger Duster, covered in hard-wearing, unpainted, recycled black plastic.
    The new Spring: a boxy design, with the new '=><=' logo, and a lot of hard-wearing, unpainted, black plastic trim.
    Somebody from Renault corporate said "Dacia should be the hardcore brand", and they went full-on with the idea.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

> When Volkswagen went balls deep into electric moronation, it moved development of it's combustion engines to Skoda - move that pretty much saved VW after failure of ID series.
    Skoda literally hasn't done any ICE development in years. It uses the same engines it has ever since mid 2010s. Skoda barely has had any new products in years - Octavia is updated whenever Golf is, Superb when Passat it.

> Is it just me or Dacia is becoming it's own thing
    Dacia has been its own thing for a decade. They make a decade old Renaults at an extremely low price. Its not a very interesting concept.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Skoda literally hasn't done any ICE development in years. It uses the same engines it has ever since mid 2010s.
      E.g. TSI 1.5 was introduced in 2017 and it got some minor update recently. Until 2035 majority of cars made by Volkswagen Group will use combustion engines and it's just not possible that for more than a decade they won't modernize these engines (even by adding hybrid). If Skoda screws anything, entire VW group is fricked.

However that is on technical level. On corporate's strategic level, giving that kind of responsibility is the biggest proof of trust any subsidiary can get.
      >Skoda barely has had any new products in years - Octavia is updated whenever Golf is, Superb when Passat it.
      It goes both ways. To some point Superb was Skoda's Passat and now Passat became VW's Superb (that's why new Superb was released earlier and Passat is only made in Slovakia).

Point is that Skoda models in general are equivalent of VW's models rather their budget versions. It's very similar to what happens to Hyundai and Kia.

Question is: is Dacia getting to this point with their relation with Renault?
      >They make a decade old Renaults at an extremely low price.
      When you compare apples to apples with all the electronic features, price of Dacias isn't much lower than Renaults. This "budget" thing comes mostly from Dacias not having as much modern electronic features as top tier Renaults. However with new Duster it seems like Renaults stopped holding back Dacia when it comes to high-end electronic stuff. I've heard that even new Sandero will have hybrid engines and options for sophisticated features.

That's why question is: will Dacia become new Skoda? Because some of Skoda's models already have more modern options with higher price than their VW's equivalents (e.g. unlike T-Cross, Kamiq offers panoramic roof and powered trunk - features that elevate price of top-tier Kamiq above top-tier T-Cross).

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They're absolute shite, whereas the old Skodas were pretty decent cars. Check out the new poverty spec engines in the Dacia's, 999cm3 3 pots What's the fricking point? The new Skodas are arguably even worse given they cost more. All new cars have gone to absolute shit

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>999cm3 3 pots What's the fricking point?
      Are you American or something? That's what engines are now in Europe

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This:

>999cm3 3 pots What's the fricking point?
      Are you American or something? That's what engines are now in Europe

Volkswagen's TSI creates 116 horse power with 1 liter and 3 cylinders. From my experience these 116hp makes 1180kg of a car with 90kg driver and 75kg passanger go vroom, vroooom, vroooooooom.

Sandero Stepway weights 1120kg, so 90hp should make it go vroom and even vroooom if driver isn't obese.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Dacia needs something more upmarket. Although their interiors are better than Škodas below octavia, Dacia still needs something like octavia or superb. Potential is there, it's up to renault to make them live up to it

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The opposite of what you said. Why does everything need to be fricking upmarket with oversized wheels and useless gimmicks? They need to offer a base model for below 10k again.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Why does everything need to be fricking upmarket with oversized wheels and useless gimmicks?
        Maybe so that poor people don't feel that a car they intend to buy is 100% budget brand. This way it's more propable they'll buy new Dacia instead of used Kia. Just like peasant who buys basic Skoda Scala can feel like he belongs in the same group with his neighbour who rides Superb L&K.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

So make it an aspirational brand? I think they're moving to more like a "lifestyle" brand (like I mentioned in my previous post). They sell a branded mini-camping kit for the Jogger (huehue), and the new Duster also has a branded mini-camping kit as well.

• 2 months ago
          Mouse car

That's American thinking though. In Europe it's hip to be frugal. Most people who bought beetles, 2CVs or Renault 4s could have easily afforded something more expensive if they had wanted to.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

But these people still are choosing some regular brand instead of budget brands and also are buying something not very cheapest of that regular brand. That's why cars of A class are almost extinct. Normies just don't want to stand out one way or another.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

no because they are gonna electrify the range

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Just like literally everyone.

https://i.imgur.com/F0qUbaK.jpg

So make it an aspirational brand? I think they're moving to more like a "lifestyle" brand (like I mentioned in my previous post). They sell a branded mini-camping kit for the Jogger (huehue), and the new Duster also has a branded mini-camping kit as well.

Picrel is concept that will be sent to Dakar Rally 2025. I think "aspirational lifestyle" suits it.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *