1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

that's funny but coincidental

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

that's what happens when you click accept on the privacy policy

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I call bullshit on this one. How would they know the son wasn't in the passenger seat with his phone connected or the dad borrowed his sons phone for the day?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Because the car also packages weight sensor data, like in the seats, and can detect how many phones are in the car, with the user data it reports to the mothership.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>sensor data
        Collecting this kind of data centrally, not to mention actually sharing it with 3rd parties like an insurance company would expose both the manufacturer and insurer to the kind of privacy lawsuits not even Musk would be moronic enough to risk.

tl;dr - the story in the pic is bullshit

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Some insurance providers offer an old plug that gives them telemetry. They have a direct link to this sort of shit in some cases and may be a standard feature in newer cars by now, I wouldn't know my car is 34 years old.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

OBD2 doesn't expose when a phone connects to the infotainment.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Don't remember the exact term (Ford Connect?), but Ford specifically does, in fact, harvest and distribute this data. I think Toyota also has egregious clauses pertaining to this in the EULA of their car software.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous
          • 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I forgot about this already.

point to the EULA where it says toyota is harvesting passenger weight and cell phone data and sharing it with 3rd parties

or
            it MIGHT be more likely that a kid turning of-age to have a license triggered a check by their insurance company to make sure he was insured on their new car

holy shit you are moronic

>point to the EULA where it says toyota is harvesting passenger weight and cell phone data and sharing it with 3rd parties
            I miss being this naive honestly. I mean, yes I opt into the shit, but you're naive as frick if you don't think there's legalese in there justifying them doing this without opting in.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Yup. I worked with industrial/vehicle telemetry at some point, and the client company's suits were shitting themselves when they realized that the system's combined data might identify a person and was therefore covered by the EU GDPR & its California equivalent.
          Nobody wants to frick up with those and have to explain to the shareholders why they're not getting their money this year, or probably the next year either.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I have bad news for you lad

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2023-09-06/carmakers-privacy-data-collection-drivers

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

> so we are using illegally obtained information and have decided to drop you as a client
    > yes we will see you in court

only a moron could believe this shit is real

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

that's what happens when you click accept on the privacy policy

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>buy $300 car
        >spend $10000 fixing it
        >works just as well as a $40000 car
        >will last even longer with proper care
        >no debt
        >supported local blue collar boys instead of israelite bankers
        >DA hates this

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

This is my situation, except I paid $2.5k and spent around $1.5k in the shop. It’s lasted me over three years though, still going strong, and I like how it handles. 160k miles on it, 25-30 mpg.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

idk if its this video or one by rossman but apparently this shit is legal in us

Because the car also packages weight sensor data, like in the seats, and can detect how many phones are in the car, with the user data it reports to the mothership.

man in uni I did some research in automotive data collection.
      its so much shit.

God I frickin hate constant connectivity bullshit thats being pushed.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>illegally obtained information

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

point to the EULA where it says toyota is harvesting passenger weight and cell phone data and sharing it with 3rd parties

or
        it MIGHT be more likely that a kid turning of-age to have a license triggered a check by their insurance company to make sure he was insured on their new car

holy shit you are moronic

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>triggered a check by their insurance company

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

you don't think insurance companies can request information from your state DMV?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>automatically adding a person to your policy
            >automatically raising rates
            Perhaps you should research the meaning of "check" and "request" before you attempt to use them again.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>insurance company sees a teen has gotten their license
            >parent gets a new car and doesn't add teen
            >insurance company adds teen to policy in line with their requirements

I don't see the problem here

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

insurance companies can check with the DMV to see if people have a valid drivers license and if they have been involved in an accident

either the kid got his license or the moron youtube commenter bought a new car and didn't put their kid on it

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>buy $70000 truck
        >including $10000 infotainment package
        >that controls every function on that truck that isn't the wheel and pedals
        >but you can't use it unless you agree to our ridiculously invasive data harvesting
        >the hardware you paid for
        >with software entirely stored and loaded on the truck
        >nothing remote or cloud
        >can't use it without getting 1986'd
        >in your own truck that costs 1/5th the value of your house
        yeah I'm pretty sure that would never hold up in court if actually put under scrutiny, right along there with "oh fyi turns out your seat warmers will now require a subscription btw".

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>lie to insurance company
    >cry on the internet
    ebin

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Soiyota
    >iToddler
    >Fricked over
    KWAB

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

this is what i fear about new vehicles.
    can this be disabled?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

If you don't mind voiding the warranty then probably yeah. I guarantee in the near future if you make any non-kosher mods on your car, especially if you still owe on it, they'll software brick it and either charge out the ass to unbrick and/or repo it.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>rip smart shit out
    >put in standard media unit
    >pop in the old reliable aux cable
    >done
    It's that easy, just work on your own stuff and it won't matter if this is fake or not cause it wont happen to you

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This won't be possible in new cars, if it isn't impossible already. Infotainment smart system will just communicate with whatever controller network runs the drivetrain and will prevent it from working if it detects you've fricked with anything. If you're le super smart hackerman, you might be able to do some fancy shit like running a virtual os to trick it into believing nothing has been touched, but that sounds hard. Or rip the entire computer out and run the bare minimum sensors into a 3rd party megasquirt controller or something. Whatever you have to do, ~~*they're*~~ going to make it physically as difficult as possible to modify anything.
      Real redpill is to just take care of your old cars and keep them on the road.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Real redpill is to just take care of your old cars and keep them on the road.
        Until they ban cars over xx years old on public roads because muh carbon. The more people sidestep restrictions instead of directly challenging them, the tighter the noose gets.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

An outright ban is absolutely not happening in our lifetime, at least here in the U.S. Pic related is the kind of shit you see rolling around legally on the road here in 3rd world Detroit, driving past cops without getting stopped. Even if something like that did pass in the future, it won't get enforced.

>insurance company wants 4 digits for monthly insurance because old = le heckin' safety riskerino
          Nah, we gonna have to adapt to actually working on shit, sucks to hear shill-san but it's just the reality of the situation

This is more likely. Insurance will just price people out of driving old shit. Then just don't insure your car.
          The problem isn't going to be the inability to work on nu-shit; anyone can learn to work with canbus.
          It's going to be the constantly active surveillance software that makes sure you won't be allowed to work on shit.

[...]
          https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-orders-owner-pull-over-shutting-down-despite-full-charge-2022-12
          https://www.pcmag.com/news/bmw-tests-locking-vehicle-features-like-heated-seats-behind-a-paywall
          Manufacturers will lobby to make it legal to void the warranty, and subsequently drop all support, for any car that has been serviced, tweaked, or modded by anyone other than a company mechanic at their dealership. Wrenching will be killed by the auto makers because they see an opportunity to make more money. Hopefully the few good politicians are able to stop it.

>all dealership support dropped
          Unless they find some way to completely kill all junkyards and make parts acquisition impossible, then that just means you have to wrench on your own stuff, which you'd have to anyways.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>junkyards
            >wrench on your own stuff
            What I was getting at is that the car will be inoperable. When I said that they will shut down support, I was talking about software, material, and repair support. The loss of software support will be particularly troublesome because they could just brick the car. Even with a gas engine, the electronics in new cars can stop it from working. Shutting off the ignition for push to start, remotely engaging the electronic e-brake, stuff like that. You have to rebuild the entire car from hacked parts, or you’d have to hack the car’s computers. It depends on how badly the manufacturer wants to come down on you, but you’d be criminally liable. That’s why right-to-repair/modify is important. Sadly so few politicians actually give a damn, because they don’t work on their own stuff and lobbyists outbid taxpayers.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

you cant make wheels not roll, fuel not burn or electric motors not turn
            all it takes is a spark

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Do you just not realize how much electronics are inside a modern car? Built into the engine and transmission itself? How old was the last car you looked at? 1990? If we went by your understanding, we’d have a puddle of burning gas, free-range tires rolling downhill, and electric motors magically spinning but not connected to anything.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>when lobby groups work in my favour, it's activism
            >when lobby groups work in my enemy's favour, it's corruption

There are lobbyist groups for gun rights, for christian fundamentalism, for homeschooling, for motorcyclists, and just about everything else. 'Lobbying' is just a buzzword you heard on NPR that you don't know what it means.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

edgy israelite

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>companies making large campaign donations to politicians, who they (quietly) ask to introduce and support regulations that will increase company profits by tailoring the law to the company’s desires.
            >you’re so hypocritical lol, there are these other groups (that have nothing to do with the discussion, by the way) that also make large donations to politicians so the law can be more favorable to them.
            I’ve got no issues with anyone asking their political representatives to support their intrests. I do have a problem with groups that have lots of money paying politicians to support their interests. If it were just a community raising funds for one of their own to have a better election campaign, that’s fine. That’s not the case right here and now.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

You cant have a thing you own be taken away from you after laws stop the production of them. Its your property. Same reason why the 86 AWB means people can still have full auto machine guns made before the ban.

I feel sorry for how stupid and fearful everyone gets raised to be in this world.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>insurance company wants 4 digits for monthly insurance because old = le heckin' safety riskerino
        Nah, we gonna have to adapt to actually working on shit, sucks to hear shill-san but it's just the reality of the situation

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

If you don't mind voiding the warranty then probably yeah. I guarantee in the near future if you make any non-kosher mods on your car, especially if you still owe on it, they'll software brick it and either charge out the ass to unbrick and/or repo it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-orders-owner-pull-over-shutting-down-despite-full-charge-2022-12
        https://www.pcmag.com/news/bmw-tests-locking-vehicle-features-like-heated-seats-behind-a-paywall
        Manufacturers will lobby to make it legal to void the warranty, and subsequently drop all support, for any car that has been serviced, tweaked, or modded by anyone other than a company mechanic at their dealership. Wrenching will be killed by the auto makers because they see an opportunity to make more money. Hopefully the few good politicians are able to stop it.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Vehicle computer systems are notoriously easy to hack, which is why this data exists in the first place. They have no way to lock it down without locking themselves out of the data. All it will mean is that a new industry of third party ECU crackers will boom. Also, used car prices will fall through the floor because 95% of normalgays won't know or care enough to actually take advantage. I hope they do this, if you think depreciation on new pseudoluxury cars is bad now then hoo boy

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The smart shit is "standard"

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

that doesn't mean shit moron
        a couple snips here a couple can splices there
        and you can suck my dick israelite

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Slow your roll there buddy.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>>rip smart shit out
      congrats now you can't use the climate control

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Never happened, but it should have.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

link to the original comment

it's amazing how quickly people turn into tech illiterate morons as soon as something that fits your narrative

he even admits in his comment that he declined to give his sons proof of insurance, so now geico knows you have a kid with a license and they are going to make you put the kid on the policy or prove they are covered by another company
    if you didn't know, it's pretty standard in the US and if you think insurance companies are just going to let you have the highest risk drivers on the road freely drive their parents cars around you are just as moronic as this youtube commenter

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

https://www.geico.com/knowledge/when-to-add-a-driver/
    >Teen drivers and college students need to be added to your policy if they have a learner's permit or a valid driver license
    https://www.carinsurance.com/kb/do-i-have-to-add-my-child-to-my-insurance
    >Insurance companies typically require all licensed drivers in a household to be listed on the auto insurance policy except unlicensed teenagers

maybe there are states where this isn't true, but everywhere I've lived it is a requirement to add a teen to your policy regardless of if they own a car if they live with you

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Why would I defend something that didn't happen? It's not like it is the holocaust

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

this never happened lmao

>oh some new bt device got paired
    >must be his son

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>DA will defend this.
    Not. Its the poos who dont own/drive car that defend these driver stalking systems.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *