would it be a stupid idea to buy a 2008 S5 at around 8-10k?

would it be a stupid idea to buy a 2008 S5 at around 8-10k? they seem like a good deal currently for an entry level sports coupe and i guess the price can only go up. not to mention they look amazing. i would also have to import the car from germany since only they sell them for that low. feeling schizo about getting shafted since i wont be able to see the car until it reaches the border here. also what else can i buy other than the e60 335i which will probably blow itself up after 2 months

Beware Cat Shirt $21.68

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

Beware Cat Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yes it would be a bad idea. Those engines (despite driving buttery-smooth and sounding amazing) are a meme for how ridiculous they are to work on. Picrel this is facing the firewall so you have to remove the engine and separate it from the transmission when the timing chain guides inevitably wear-out.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Needs to having timing chain tensioners fixed and needs proof of troony fluid every 30k.

Engine is kino AF though.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

how much does such work cost? is that the only catastrophic failure point of the 4.2? also how does the 3.0 tfsi compare to the 4.2 in terms of shitting itself

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

If you have to ask you can't afford it. Its usually more than what the car is worth depending on mileage because you get fricked with ten other "while in your in there" jobs because half the car has to come apart to access most of this shit so a 500 dollar timing chain easily becomes 5k-10k in the blink of an eye

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

all you have to do is drop the transmission, stop being such a drama queen.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Mum had S4 6-spd convertible in the '00s
            >Goes out of warranty
            >Convertible mechanism fails
            >That'll be [over $20k, nearly 15 years ago]
            They want to sell (lease) you new cars. Old Audis are only good if you know how to wrench, but those who know how to wrench don't want the bullshit.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

10 grand for the full timing chain job. The engine has to come out and that means basically tearing apart the entire front end.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

$10k but it’s going to be alot of future proofing. The block itself is solid. I’m not saying that someone who has $10k for a car should get one.

I am saying if you are capable of managing that you will have a very good looking timeless design with a sexy engine that is otherwise solid. It has all of the appointments you would want in a modern sports car and a lot of them aren’t found on the new $130k 911 as porsche pay walls them.

The sport diff is an option on these but do eliminate understeer if that is a concern. So check, there id an option in the menu so it’s easy to spot.

Also I think the low pressure fuel pump has issues but it’s like $450.

The V6 3.0t is much more reliable and weighs less btw. I’d prefer the B9 3.0T at that point.

But if you got $9k why not get the V8 over the V6 for $25k and only do the job if it comes up? It’s not crazy talk, it’s just not for someone who’s trying to go fast with no emergency fund. It’s not that car. It’s a very high tech car with laptop style packaging.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It's true that these don't don't have the snap-happy plastic guides like the infamous 40V (same setup as all FSI V engines) and the tensioners are the biggest pain point, along with carbon buildup on the valves. Other than that the engines are known to be unlikely to randomly shit out on you.
            People just fall into the sticker price trap. Effectively it's a 20k car listed for 10k, with that remaining 10k due at a later date for the timing job.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The probability that this has been well maintained and will yielded zero significant issues is close to zero so yes.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Not a fan of vag but these v8s are cool

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>all you have to do is drop the transmission, stop being such a drama queen

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

350hp is pathetic in 2024

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That’s as much HP as a new NARP11 but the Audi has an NA V8, DCT, torsen center diff and a rear sport diff and double wishbone fronts.
      The S5 is a great car provided the chain is fixed and the mechatronic is fixed or upgraded.
      In fact the tech’s at my dealer drive them and they are all over 100k. It’s pretty close to the R8 engine and I assure it’s pure sex. A great fricking engine to drive. Find a well cared for one with the work done and do it.
      It’s 2024, the NA V8 is not available anymore. Get one and keep it going.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Cope that's barely more than a v6 challenger

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's also fricking FAT which is the big problem, nearly 4000lbs.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

There's so much more to a driving experience than "muh hersepurs!"

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>335i which will probably blow itself up after 2 months
    Lmao the engine in a 335i will outlast that mess of a V8 they put in the understeering boat you call S5.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Frick these cars sound so good, theres a dude who lives near me who owns one of these in a dark blue colour and the spoiler at the back of it reminds me of the spoiler on a bugatti chiron, sometimes if i see his car parked at the grocery store i would wait for him to finish his shopping to hear him start his car and drive off

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>i guess the price can only go up.
    You're just seeing the effects of inflation and the value of currency dropping. CPI is a lie; reality is much worse.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *