Wrenchlet here. This is my first time posting on?

Wrenchlet here. This is my first time posting on DA. I desperately need your help. I've never been too handy. My father and grandfather were the same way—hotshot white collar types who didn't care enough to learn about cars and would rather pay somebody to fix things for them. I'm trying to break the cycle and work blue collar in commercial construction as well as in a garage part-time.
My handmedown Jeep Patriot got me through high school and college no problem. A week ago my transmission gave out and I'm stuck catching rides and borrowing friends' cars. Since I've only recently started working at the garage my skillset is pretty limited. My boss is a good guy, both knowledgeable and honest. He's replaced the transmission on the same Jeep model before and would help me with it, but he has advised that I sell it and get a pickup truck suitable for a construction jobsite. I've been saving up for a while now and I think it's the right move.
There are a few options available to me and I wanted to share them with you all in the hopes that you guys can steer me in the right direction. You'll have to forgive me for my ignorance on the subject as I have little to no experience in the world of automobiles. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

CRIME Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My boss has been planning to sell his GM for the last two months. Once my transmission failed, he offered to sell it to me. It's a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with a 5.3L V8 under the hood, specifically a 327. It has 150k miles on it and has used only synthetic oil for as long as it's been on the road. I know that's a lot of miles, but he's been working on it diligently to put it on the marketplace and get the best price that he can. He told me that with regular maintenance I can get another 300,000 miles out of it. He was going to sell it for 30,000 but for me he is willing to come down to 22,000. From what I've gathered on this generation of Sierras, they tend to have fuel pump and transmission issues. I don't anticipate I would have either of those in the near future because the truck has been fully serviced, but I would like to not have to deal with another troony crisis 40k miles after I start driving it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

trans is on the way out or he would have no reason to sell

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

That's a good point. I hope that's not the case, but I'll grill him about it and see what I can find out.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

That's a good point. I hope that's not the case, but I'll grill him about it and see what I can find out.

Today he told me he put a new heavy-duty transmission with 40,000 miles on it so he could tow things.
        If I don’t dog it do you think I could get another 100,000 miles out of it? More?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

My 2002 f350 had 310k when the trans started sliiping in overdrive, 2800$ for the rebuild and I put it in myself, dont let rubes tell you shit breaks. Change the filter every 50k and change the fluid before its burnt and itll run for a while. Mine only went because the cooler in the radiator was startibg to get plugged and was cutting down the flow

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Will do. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

One small thing, to think about. You buy a vehicle from someone you know, or see on a daily basis and it suddenly takes a shit, things could get awfully tense and awkward. I've seen it happen to friends and coworkers.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Never even crossed my mind. As much as I want to believe that my boss would help me in a situation like that, he has a tendency to start one thing and quickly move on to the next. I’ll keep what you said in mind.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

used transmission with 40k on it? that’s not an HD transmission, that’s the same transmission pulled from a scrapped truck when the last one went out and if you buy this you are getting screwed

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Sorry, I misspoke. What I meant to say was that he installed the heavy duty transmission and then put 40,000 miles on it. Not that he bought and installed a used transmission with 40k miles on it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>guy who's trying to sell his car on the promise that you'll fit in better with a pickup truck, specifically his
      >willing to come down $8k because he's such a nice guy
      A bit of a conflict of interest there, and potentially a landmine for future relationships with your boss. If you don't get a truck, what happens or doesn't happen at work? I feel like you've been sold an idea of paying $22-$40k on a truck with no real reason behind it. Why not get another $5-6k SUV like a first gen highlander and learn to work on it?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>If you don't get a truck, what happens or doesn't happen at work?
        Nothing really. Just because he’s selling his truck doesn’t mean I have to buy it. He wouldn’t take it personally either.
        >Why not get another $5-6k SUV like a first gen highlander and learn to work on it?
        My main concern is getting something that can handle construction/contracting work. I’m not against getting an SUV as long as it’s full-size, like an old Suburban for example. A Highlander just isn’t big enough to be practical for my purposes.
        As far as wrenching goes, I’ll be learning that as I go along. I need a working work vehicle ASAP and don’t want to frick up my only transportation by learning on it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Your boss is doing you any favors. His truck is not worth $22k let alone $30k.

Pic related is a 5.3L 4x4 with 79k miles. And that's about average pricing for these trucks. If you go a few years older or up to 100k miles they're even less.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

(me)
        Your boss *isn't* doing you any favors

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

These next two I'd be buying online. The first is a 2018 Ford F150 XL with four wheel drive. It's pretty barebones but who needs a bunch of features for a work truck anyway? It's a 5.0L V8 with 24k miles. It's listed at $32,998.
    Even though it isn't as sturdy as a 6.2 I think the low mileage will really help me out in terms of longevity. I'd really like something that will last at least ten years and if I flushed and replenished the fluids frequently enough.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Lastly, I've been looking at a 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road. It's got a 3.5L V6 with 24k miles going for $37,998. More features than the Ford, but also more expensive. Though I'd be paying the Toyota tax, my friends and family swear by the Tacoma. My Dad bought a 2008 with 110k miles on it and sold it at 300k and praised its reliability.
    I'm not aware of any problematic mechanical differences between the second generation (2005-2015) and third generation (2016-Present) of Tacomas. While I prefer to buy American, I recognize it's just a vehicle at the end of the day. I have no problem buying a chinkmobile if it'll last me a good ten years. Those are all the trucks I've had my eye on the past week.
    Once again, I apologize for any errors or nescience on my part. Please let me know what you think about my options and if you have any recommendations. Thank you

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

take your boss's help, fix or replace the transmission and then sell it. get the experience you seek. the bonus is you'll get to practice while furthering your goals to improve your skills. then someone gets to buy and drive a cheap working jeep shitbox instead of the junkyard. win-win.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback.
      >someone gets to buy and drive a cheap working jeep shitbox instead of the junkyard
      This is the part I really like. It served me well and deserves someone that can squeeze some more valuable usage out of it.
      I'll repair it with my boss and learn what I can. However, after I sell it I'll still need a truck. What do you think I should get? I don't want to spend more than $45,000.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

sell the jeep to a sucker or a dealership and get something thst isnt a piece of shit

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *