WTB a police interceptor utility

I have a couple of questions, ranging from aesthetic to technical. Yes I know I will get hate for the decision, but I just want one. My maximum price-point is $16k.
>What year/s should I target? (Have heard 2018 and onward are ideal because Explorer issues were fixed)
>What is an acceptable amount of mileage? Idle hours?
>If it comes with the spotlight / push bar, should I or should I not remove it (more of a taste question)?
>What dealership or site would you recommend (I have a couple listings bookmarked from various ones)?

You don’t have to answer the questions, feel free to just discuss the car if you want. But if you know something or especially if you see any deals that look optimal right now, please let me know

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>What dealership or site would you recommend
    Govdeals

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Good auction website

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

OP here.
    Also,
    >Are 3.5L turbo engines or better (as rare as they are) the only ones worth it? Or are the 3.7 V6s also fine?

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Never buy a Ford with the 3.5 or 3.7 in a transverse (sideways) layout, they put the water pump inside the timing chain cover and they leak coolant directly into the oil pan when they fail, with no warning and trash the main and rod bearings from washout.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

What year model has them in such a layout? I thought I read the water pump issues were fixed after 2016

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Basically everything it came in that isn't an F150, Transit, Mustang, or 2020+ Explorer.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Thanks for that info. What if someone were to buy an affected year model, but immediately swap out the pump? Would that cost too much or would that be smart?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You would do the expensive job even if you got lucky.Not worth it,buy something else.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

It's a timing chain job, basically. I would be shocked if you could get out of there for less than $4-5k.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You "could" but it would be way easier to just buy something else. Unless you have the means to remove the entire motor to replace that part, which I assume you do not since you are even asking this question, you could (and should) take the $2000+ it would cost for the job and buy something nicer.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>If it comes with the spotlight / push bar, should I or should I not remove it
    better safe than sorry, remove it. some shitbird might try to get you booked on impersonating an officer

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

This has never happened for lights or every other crown Vic is at risk.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>interceptor
    are the cop cars actually better than the civvie explorers?

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The only viable ex-pork transporter is the Tahoe and the price on them reflects it. It's closest you're going to get to the CVPI but it's still far from it. All the other cruisers from Dodge or Ford are clapped the frick out by the time they hit the auction block. They're not like the CVPI where you could buy them and still get a lot of life out of them.

>What dealership or site would you recommend
    Do not buy any ex-police vehicle from a dealer. Go to the auctions and get one directly.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>tahoe
      I don’t need or want all that car
      >auctions
      Where are they held?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>I don’t need or want all that car
        You really don't have a choice. All the other options are not worth buying.

>Where are they held?
        Dunno I don't kno where you live. Google "police auctions near me" or look up the closest Ritchie Bros/Copart or whatever.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Don't forget the Caprice PPV.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

CVPI owner here (we in the ownership world call them P71s) and I just wanted to say nye nye nye nye nye nye.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I can't stand sedans or Fords so your methmobile doesn't really hurt my feelies. I bet you bought it from a dealer and paid 4x what they did.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I bought it from an Indian man on Craigslist, oddly enough.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Feather or dot? Either way you definitely fricked up and overpaid for a clapped out piece of shit.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Dot. I really didn't, got lucky and found what I assume was either someone's personal car or an undercover traffic cop car or something. Charcoal grey, 10yrs old at the time w/ 113k miles, felt new aside from the obvious spots police equipment was taken off. He was selling it for $3500 but I (easily) talked him down to $3100. This is in 2015 dollars btw.

I really like it, it's a great car. I've driven it all over the country without even an oil change and it's just like "fine, whatever." Things are starting to go wrong now due to my own moronation when I was younger and it being 20yrs old now, but I've fixed all the major shit already so it's chilling. There's really nothing else on the road like the Panther platform anymore. There are more exciting or capable cars and trucks, but nothing exactly like what you get with a CVPI or a Grand Marquis.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>I (easily) talked him down to $3100. This is in 2015 dollars btw
            He paid $1500 for it at the auctions. Always buy direct from them.

They were a pretty crazy value back in the day when they were plentiful but now that they're almost extinct, not so much. Unless you can score a mint Grand Marquis from some 90 year old for little to nothing you're just better off with a truck or a SUV.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

He said he was selling it for his uncle who couldn't see over the steering wheel, who probably bought it from an auction.
            >now that they're almost extinct
            I see like 30 a day, they're still everywhere.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>I see like 30 a day, they're still everywhere.
            I see maybe 1 or 2 a month here in the northern rust belt. 5 years ago there used to be a bunch in the junkyards but I haven't seen any in a while. It's been about 10 years since any PD in the country has used the CVPI which might have something to do with it.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>northern rust belt
            That would explain it. They're still everywhere in Texas and the surrounding states, I even still see them occasionally used as patrol cars in more rural areas.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'd get one of the unmarked ones. They don't have spotlights and were probably just used by some administrative person to get coffee.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I would be getting an unmarked one, but in black.
      Bigger problem is, there’s no way to search for “interceptor with cushy history” (aka police chief or detective vehicle). These ones would presumably have less idle hours and internal issues

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Hand the shop foreman a FOIA request "you have 5 working days to hand over all maint. records on the Ford SUV's. Failure to do so is a federal crime" Then do a 360 and moon walk the frick out of there.

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They're fricking shit. I literally enjoyed driving my RAV4 to and from work more than driving these heavy slippery pieces of shit. It did far better in snow too. The Tahoe is even fatter and more slippery, it slides on dry roads holy shit.

AWD police Taurus was the most pleasant patrol vehicle I ever drove. It won't do good in snow because Ford's AWD system just sucks, but it was quick and handled well. The Impalas and Caprices were absolute turds too.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *