X5 (E53)

2000-2006 BMW X5 (E53), what do we think brahs? looking at a v8 one with the N62B44

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Still a shitty-ass cuckover.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Seconding this, was looking at a nice 650i with the v8 of that era. People say that mid 2000s bmw v8s are shitty, and valve stem seals tend to go out and leak oil. There were also problems with the cooling system. Maybe there are more standard bmw problems.
    >if you can’t afford it new, don’t buy it used

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

pretty sure a m5X engine is the one to get, slower but more reliable

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get the F15 instead. Thank me later.
    N62 and N63 are notoriously unreliable engines

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>2006
    Bruh that is literal scrapyard junk, and it already was twn years ago.
    Don't older than a 2022 at the oldest, if you absolutely MUST buy used

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Garbage transmissions.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Oh god, nobody has steered you right OP.

Throw the BMW n62 V8 into the thrash. The engineer that designed that engine got fired.

If you still want a E53 BMW after this, there's two options.

1. M54 six cylinder petrol. You'll use as much fuel as a V8 and the transmission is a GM unit which is trash. Not advisable.

2. M57. Turbo diesel. Buy a car from 2004 onwards and you'll get the ZF six speed. Incredible fuel economy, incredible reliablity. In Australia, people buy BMW X5s just to rip the diesel engines out and put them in Nissan Patrols for outback work. Don't buy the 2000 to 20003 model, they have a shit transmission.

You can buy an early e70 with the M57 as well but they changed over to the N57 in 2010 or so, which is an inferior engine that has timing chain issues.

If you insist on buying a petrol SUV, the W163 Mercedes with the M112/M112 V6/V8 has a bulletproof engine. Thirsty though.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Either do what this guy is suggesting or get something with the b58/57

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Nah, you want new, not old. Old cars are just someone else's trash.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I got the n57 engine and woowee it's great. Hella torque and acceleration at low to medium speeds. And of course 700+ miles on a full tank

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Literally every N57 owner I've known or know has had their engine spontaneously combust, it got so bad in UK police cars that a recall was issued.

Also OP, don't buy the fricking N62. It's a horrible engine.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

What's the qrd on whats bad about the n62 isnt it just a derivative of the m62

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>If you insist on buying a petrol SUV, the W163 Mercedes with the M112/M112 V6/V8 has a bulletproof engine. Thirsty though.

This, and try to go for a ML55 AMG while you're at it. They are rare, but always dirt cheap when they do pop-up.

The ML55 and CLK55 are both great entries into cheap AMG ownership, the NA M113 with the 722.6 transmission is virtually bulletproof (with the exception of the common conductor plate issue, which is an ez fix). My ML55 has almost 200k miles on it's original engine and troony and the engine is flawless.

I'm driving this everyday over my brand new CX-5, I fricking love the sound.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Oh yes, I also had a E53 X5 3.0i with the M54 like

Oh god, nobody has steered you right OP.

Throw the BMW n62 V8 into the thrash. The engineer that designed that engine got fired.

If you still want a E53 BMW after this, there's two options.

1. M54 six cylinder petrol. You'll use as much fuel as a V8 and the transmission is a GM unit which is trash. Not advisable.

2. M57. Turbo diesel. Buy a car from 2004 onwards and you'll get the ZF six speed. Incredible fuel economy, incredible reliablity. In Australia, people buy BMW X5s just to rip the diesel engines out and put them in Nissan Patrols for outback work. Don't buy the 2000 to 20003 model, they have a shit transmission.

You can buy an early e70 with the M57 as well but they changed over to the N57 in 2010 or so, which is an inferior engine that has timing chain issues.

If you insist on buying a petrol SUV, the W163 Mercedes with the M112/M112 V6/V8 has a bulletproof engine. Thirsty though.

suggested.

The X5 is superior in build quality, and the M54 is a great engine but yeah frick the GM transmission.

I traded it in for a Lexus GS before I had to do anything to the transmission, but I did enjoy my time with it.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

mileage

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

BMWs get super cheap when they are like 5 years and older. Why is that

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They think maintenance cost a lot, and it does if you go to a shop because they overcharge the frick out of everything. BMW branded oils, scanners, etc. Shops will never buy the off brand even though it's 99.9% the same.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get the one with the M54. The N62 is not as bad as people say but a pain compared to the straight sixes.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

good car, just needs an ls swap as preventative maintenance

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I've had the pleasure/displeasure of doing maintenance & repairs on my coworkers 2002 with the 3.0 i6 M54 and automatic trans

General experiences;
    >suspension
    Good suspension when in order, but the multi-link systems get old and squeaky rather quick, and that means more parts to replace. Especially the rear main control arm is plagued, and replacement arms cost a bunch while just replacing the bushings can be an ass of a job
    >electronics
    Typical dead pixels on the LCD-screens.
    Everything controlled by somewhat archaic main units - so there is a chance that if, by example, there is a slight short circuit in a light cluster it might burn out your lighting control unit
    The boot-mounted rear amp is also located a bit low, and you might find connectors filled with tons of corrosion
    >engine
    The M54 is actually really nice to work on. Plugs are very accessible, same goes for the intake, water pump, belts and whatnot.
    Make sure you remove your DISA-valve and look it over, and rebuild if necessary. A broken one (very common) leads to rough idle and shit power, and in the worst case scenario it can lead to total engine death when the topmost retaining bolt falls off and goes into a cylinder
    >general stuff that I've had to look at/fix
    Door handle internals are poo and will need replacing aftert a while. Simple job
    Sub-chassis bushings (very big ones) are at this point rather old, dry and hard - good luck on ever replacing those

TLDR; old SUV, be prepared to wrench and for it to not be "cheap" car. Get the i6 M54 and standard suspension (not air) to minimize potential expensive failure points

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>looking at a v8 one with the N62B44
      Get the M54B30 powered one instead, if you want V8 power there's going to be far better avenues to go instead. The 3.0 feels fine in a car this size and is actually well regarded as a dependable motor - while BMW's V8s from this era aren't at all on the other hand. Better yet, you can regularly find them with a proper manual transmission as well.

All of these, and don't forget to buy a package of 100 door panel clips and to keep some doorstops in the car because every window regulator can and will break since they use cheap plastic parts. It might've changed in the years since I worked on one, but I had better luck with Dorman units vs others.

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Every time I see one on the road it leaves a cloud of blue smoke behind it.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *