you cant call yourself an auto enthusiast if you drive anything with a transversly mounted engine

you cant call yourself an auto enthusiast if you drive anything with a transversly mounted engine

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

transverse layout is made exclusively for fwd cuckovers and cuckbox npc apliance vehicles

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Your statement is invalid, I got a transverse RWD.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Sorry bud but transverse rwd is still shit
          >the same gay weak engine mounts
          >the same gay weak transmission
          >the same gay sloppy shifter cables
          >even worse to work on

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>simpler construction
            >lighter weight
            >still shares a ton of non drivetrain parts with economy cars which keeps things cheap
            >needs minimal power to be fast
            >easy 50/50 weight balance because engine is in front of rear axle
            Sure working on it can be a pain with some things, but for the most part you sound like a homosexual.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I had an SW20, now I have the same engine in a longitudinal RWD car, everything about it is better.
            Also MR sucks on the downhill because the weight shifts to the front tyres but your cornering inertia remains at the back.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>longitudinal RWD car, everything about it is better
            If you're talking about the swapped camry I don't see how it could be better.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The engine is fully accessible and I can pull it out with ease
            The gearbox is much stronger and I can swap it out for fun in an afternoon
            The entire driveline is supported by about twice as many bushed connections to the chassis
            The shifter is direct
            I can swap LSDs and diff gears without the huge labour of removing and rebuilding the entire gearbox

trannies are gay

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>easier to work on
            Yeah we get it, no need to post 4 sentences to prove it. It's still a worthy tradeoff for MR handling.
            >trannies are gay
            We're talking about engine placement you homosexual.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

MR handling becomes shit as soon as you point it down a hill

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Also MR sucks on the downhill because the weight shifts to the front tyres but your cornering inertia remains at the back.
            Could you explain that part ?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Everyone knows an SW20 oversteers when you lift off the throttle right?
            Why does that happen?
            Because when you lift off the throttle the weight pressing down on your tyres shifts off the back wheels and onto the front wheels - taking grip away from the rear.

But this happens to all cars right? So why is it only a big deal for MR and RR cars? Because an FR car has the majority of the weight at the front, which means the majority of the cornering inertia is at the front, so if the weight shifts away from the back tyres it's not a big deal. But with an MR or RR car the majority of the weight is at the back, just because you lift off the throttle and that weight has been channelled to press down on the front tyres doesn't mean it's magically moved the engine to the front of the car - the engine is still in the back and when you try to make it turn around a corner it's still the REAR TYRES it's going to be fighting with its inertia.

Hence rear bias car have a tendency to "snap oversteer" (lift-off oversteer) when you let go of the throttle while cornering - because the downward pressure shifts to the front tyres but the sideways inertia remains at the back.

Now what do you think happens when you point the nose of a car down a hill? It's like lifting off the throttle X5

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Lift off oversteer is the bread and butter of front heavy front wheel drive hatchbacks since the 205 gti, and i would argue even earlier. The reason why the sw20 was notorious for snap oversteer is because of the rear suspension geometry, namely that it was set up for toe in gain on bump to make the car corner faster, but has the tradeoff of making the rear suspension toe out when it´s unloaded, meaning it literally steers away from the corner. This behaviour was by no means unique to the sw20, this kind of geometry also made the first series of the honda s2000 knife edged at the limit, but like the sw20 the rear suspension was revised in the phase 2 and it wasn't a problem anymore.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/snap-oversteer-reducing-dynamic-toe-changes-1196593/

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>The reason why the sw20 was notorious for snap oversteer is because of the rear suspension geometry

Oh yeah? How come the 911 does lift-off oversteers then?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Clearly you haven't driven a 911
            >uhh no you see I saw a video of a Yellowbird on the Burgerring and now I'm a 911 expert

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You gunna pretend the 911 wasn't known as the "widowmaker" until they STACKED the rear with tyre width, track and camber (kinda like they stacked the rev 2 SW20).
            Don't reply to me again if you're going to pretend to be this moronic, or even worse if it's genuine.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Still haven't driven a 911?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Still gunna pretend to be moronic to push your point?
            How about the NSX then? How come that's notorious for suddenly spinning?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Why do you keep talking about cars you have 0 experience with?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

We'll add that to the list of cars you'll plug your ears about because it doesn't fit your preformed narrative about toe curves, as if no FR car has ever had a linear toe curve.
            People like you who read something once and think you know it all are the worst part about the automotive hobby.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>he still has no experience driving cars
            >literally just babbles shit he reads online
            The absolute fricking state of automotive """""enthusiasts"""""

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>"the 911 has never been known for suddenly spinning out"
            -t. anon maybe not even pretending to be moronic

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

[...]
            [...]
            [...]
            NTA but it's painful to read how stupid you are. You genuinely need help. Putting the engine on rear wheels is as anon described a pendulum will increase likelihood of snap oversteer and anon is not lying when he says they're referred to as Widowmakers. Back in the 80s it spawned its title as the rich dudes who got wienery would send em off into ocean canyon roads

Still not seeing that first person experience

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Still haven't driven a 911?

Why do you keep talking about cars you have 0 experience with?

>he still has no experience driving cars
            >literally just babbles shit he reads online
            The absolute fricking state of automotive """""enthusiasts"""""

NTA but it's painful to read how stupid you are. You genuinely need help. Putting the engine on rear wheels is as anon described a pendulum will increase likelihood of snap oversteer and anon is not lying when he says they're referred to as Widowmakers. Back in the 80s it spawned its title as the rich dudes who got wienery would send em off into ocean canyon roads

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/lc6I6dM.jpeg

You gunna pretend the 911 wasn't known as the "widowmaker" until they STACKED the rear with tyre width, track and camber (kinda like they stacked the rev 2 SW20).
            Don't reply to me again if you're going to pretend to be this moronic, or even worse if it's genuine.

https://i.imgur.com/fL93OqL.jpeg

>in mr/rr layout, rear tires lose traction on the downhill because of weight transfer/traction balance
            >Run staggered setup and balance the chassis so its 50/50 like any other balanced car
            >car no longer suffers from snap oversteer cause the chassis has no reason to behave any way other than linear
            the 911 was sug because it had the engine behind the rear axle, which regardless of the total distribution, the pure amount of mass behind the car made it a pendulum that wanted to slide out. Porsche did a pretty good job making up for it though. The sw20 snap oversteer is 9/10 times the fault of the driver for not keeping the rear loaded though. Drivers who are familiar with mr layout know to apply light throttle into corners to stabilize the vehicle, whereas anyone else would bring their fr instincts with them and wrap the car around the tree. Lift off and any other variant of snap oversteer is a skill issue. There was nothing wrong with the sw20's suspension. It just wasn't user friendly for front engined enthusiasts which made it far less forgiving. The 911 is an example of a car that has legitimate issues with how its designed, being that it only has a rr layout for legacy reasons. Its literally a flawed layout that is only kept out of tradition. Any compromise in road conditions and the 911 suffers greatly.

because the rear suspension was badly setup. The porsche carrera gt (a car which terrified walter rohl in the rain !) is even more dangerous than any 911 despite being mid engined, and more dangerous than the contemporary ferrari enzo despite having less power.

There's also no need to regurgitate the opinions of motoring journalists that have no idea of what they are talking about when they call rr a flawed layout. The french rr cars like the a310, gta and a610 had zero issues related to dangerous snap oversteer even with a v6 in the back, and even the swing axle french cars (alpine a106/108/a110, r8 gordini, etc) were known to handle really well.

The delorean wasn´t known for snap oversteer either, and even the tatra 613 had a much more neutral handling than it´s predecessors despite keeping the equal sized tires and aircooled v8 in the back. Setup and engineering choices matter, and while Porsche is good for making reliable, powerful, lightweight cars for a price, handling wise it varies a lot.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Sure is funny how the FR cars with the same semi-trailing rear suspension don't have that reputation....

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Not all trailing arm suspensions are the same, and there are plenty of fr cars that snap oversteer.

As for reputation, i wonder just how many journalists can actually judge a car for how it drives isn't of repeating some other's talking points.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The sierra is NOT renown for sudden lift off oversteer

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

and it shows textbook snap oversteer in that clip. Consider that british motoring "journalists" see british cars with rose tinted glasses, the same way this reporter praises the smoothness of this new british train even as the tea service keeps shaking with vibration.

?t=371

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No it doesn't you moron.
            You can get any car, ANY CAR, and put it into a slide then counter steer too much too long and it will snap back like that.
            Don't reply to me again because you're clearly clueless.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

And that behavior that supposedly any car can do is exactly what journalists whine about when they are talking about snap oversteer. Either way you look at it, it´s nothing particularly inherent to rr cars compared to mr, fr or ff configurations.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Stop replying to me Black person, I don't give a frick about journalists, racing drivers will tell you all about the differences of rear biased handling if you bothered to listen.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

And i've actually driven all sorts of cars from 1930's traction avants to 90´s Porsche, weight distribution in the end is a small factor compared to the overall suspension setup.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>small factor

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I guess in your mind cars with about 50/50 weight distribution all handle the same? That mid engined f1 cars are undrivable since practically all of them have a more rear biased weight distribution than a porsche 911? Or that clearly a super front heavy audi with more than 60% of it's weight over the front wheels will be more stable than a 53/47 front/rear balance mercedes, and just as good as an equally front heavy citroen?

I accept your concession.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

An E30 M3 and a 911 both have mcpherson strut front suspension and semi-traling rear suspension and yet they handle COMPLETELY different - how could this be?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

All 3 e30 bmw convertibles have the same suspension configuration and weight balance yet they handle COMPLETELY differently, how could this be?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>they handle COMPLETELY differently
            [citation needed]

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/5y9WutH.gif

Lift off oversteer is the bread and butter of front heavy front wheel drive hatchbacks since the 205 gti, and i would argue even earlier. The reason why the sw20 was notorious for snap oversteer is because of the rear suspension geometry, namely that it was set up for toe in gain on bump to make the car corner faster, but has the tradeoff of making the rear suspension toe out when it´s unloaded, meaning it literally steers away from the corner. This behaviour was by no means unique to the sw20, this kind of geometry also made the first series of the honda s2000 knife edged at the limit, but like the sw20 the rear suspension was revised in the phase 2 and it wasn't a problem anymore.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/snap-oversteer-reducing-dynamic-toe-changes-1196593/

https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/suspension-analysis

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/5y9WutH.gif

https://i.imgur.com/MTPggjr.jpeg

[...]
            https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/suspension-analysis

Thanks for the explanation, I'll be especially careful going downhill, even though mine's a rev 3. I know nothing of suspension, I have some reading to do.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>I had an SW20, now I have the same engine in a longitudinal RWD car
            Altezza RS200?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Lazy engineering. There's a reason why mid and rear engined race cars use a longitudinal drivetrain.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

There are multible mid engine cars posted in this thread with transverse engines

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah and they're all lazily engineered and also get outperformed by by their cheaper FR counterparts.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm sure they do, big boy

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>2009 Cadillac CTS-V, 3:04.0
            >2007 Lotus Exige S, 3:04.5

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Literally where

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Have a look at all the other cars that weigh twice as much yet perform better because they don't have a flawed econobox drivetrain stuffed in the trunk.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

???

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

it's joever

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

See what happens when you use a properly orientated drivetrain.
            >2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51, 2:49.0
            >2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, 2:50.1

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>decade newer cars are faster
            woah

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

pretty sure lancia stratos and 037 were transverse mounted V6 cars

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The Stratos never achieved anything and the 037 spun out and helped to kill Group B.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

037 is the last 2WD car to ever win WRC
            >helped to kill group B
            Lancia has already moved onto the (even more dangerous) delta when group B got canned

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

037 used a longitudinally mounted supercharged inline four

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>*transverse v8s in your general direction*

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They made a V-8 Lumina?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Yes, and GM made it FWD and glass automatic-only

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>4t65e's directly in your path

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Lamborghini Miura, Lotus elise, Cizeta V16 etc etc
    Frick off 12 year old who just learned the difference.

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>anything with a transversely mounted engine
    >anything
    >anything

Personally, none of my cars, which all have longitudinally mounted engines and count among them I6, V8 and 2 rotor engines, are as cool or as valuable as an original NSX.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

don't fall for the bait guys

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Frick you, homosexual.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Auto
    >Auto
    An automatic what?
    Wtf is automatic about a car stfu moron

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

AUTOmatically MOBILE horseless CARriage

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

???

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Based, troony wheel drive cucks seething because you're right.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

are you sure you're not gay?

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>not inline transverse rwd rr

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They did some fricking dumb stuff, but stubby bob was dope as hell. Easily the best project of theirs.

• 4 weeks ago
        Greased Geese

i really hate that they broke 2 axels and abandoned it instead of just throwing money at a trick front axel that could survive landing.

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

OP is a homosexual

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

okay homosexual meet me at the touge with my 2004 base model automatic corolla on bridgestones I will smoke you and leave you for dead after I corner at 80mph and your moronic ass goes understeering into trees

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Stop watching basednut media and arab throttle.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

fricking piece of shit DA, frick all of you fricking Black folk... S-O-Y-N-U-T MEDIA

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

learn more English vocabulary and you won't have this problem.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>learn more English vocabulary and you won't have this problem.

what did he mean by this?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

To speak like a functioning human, and not a moron with a brain rotted by memes

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>brain rotted by memes
            *chuckle*
            nice use of irony, my friend

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

transverse mr is the best affordable sports car formula

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

How Stratos-ish can I get by sticking a camry v6 and longer travel suspension into an MRS?

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The Jeep Liberty has a longitudinally mounted engine and is therefore an enthusiast vehicle.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The 2007 Buick Rainier has a longitudinally mounted engine and is therefore an enthusiast vehicle.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

vortec 4200 is also severely underrated

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

i always said it could have been the true K-series of domestics. DOHC inline 4 valve per cyl goodness and they last forever on oil changes.
          >t. owner of a trailblazer with 323,000 mi

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

vortec 4200 is also severely underrated

They're not very underrated and stop comparing an inline 6 to a k series. They don't fit anywhere, they weigh as much as a small block, and they have no aftermarket. The amount of cars that can make 600hp in the modern day makes them an adequate powerplant for a light truck or suv at best. Nobody is going to swap one in a drag car, nobody is swapping them for off roading, nobody really cares about the engine. Its not like it did anything great, nor is it better than any other inline 6. Its basically a middle man in performance between a jeep 4.0 and a ford barra, except it doesn't even have the support of either. By now its been out of production for quite some time, so it will remain a relic of a time when gm decided to make an engine in the inline 6 configuration. Its nothing more and nothing less. Its not an unreliable shitheap, nor is it some unsung hero god motor. Its so normal its not even funny, and I'm sick of people bringing it up

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Your post is full of out of date information

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Its cool that they had an event for them and that some people are pushing the engine, but the facts still remain that it has no aftermarket, poor packaging, and average performance. You need to have custom made cams, machined heads, retrofit and conversion kits, etc, all just to do what you can do with an LS which is truly akin to k swapping. If I want to swap an atlas into anything that isn't a colorado or trailblazer, I'm completely in the dark with wiring, fabrication, and tuning. The only thing you can really do as an average enthusiast is put a turbo on one in a trailblazer and detonate your 4l60e. Meanwhile I can do the same thing except no fabrication and have everything work in no time with a 5.3 while not having to worry about finding odds and ends to frankenstein a working combo. Now in another timeline where gm did more with the atlas and made it for longer, we'd probably be having 6 second drag cars with the atlas and swap kits to throw one in a squarebody or s10, but instead its just not really viable, and probably will never get to be.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Every vehicle is an enthusiast vehicle when you're enthusiastic about vehicles.

18. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  19. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yeah those dudes driving evos are posers man

20. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

OP literally cannot stop sucking wieners

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

First supercar.

?t=8

21. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

For 6 cylinder engines, I6 is better than a V6, in many ways, it’s simpler, much easier to maintain and it’s very smooth

22. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I guess the FWD Acura Legend is a properly engineered enthusiast vehicle

23. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How does a typical shifter feel like in a transverse mid engine? Linkage FF, like direct to gearbox longi, or something unique to itself?

24. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  25. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>in mr/rr layout, rear tires lose traction on the downhill because of weight transfer/traction balance
    >Run staggered setup and balance the chassis so its 50/50 like any other balanced car
    >car no longer suffers from snap oversteer cause the chassis has no reason to behave any way other than linear
    the 911 was sug because it had the engine behind the rear axle, which regardless of the total distribution, the pure amount of mass behind the car made it a pendulum that wanted to slide out. Porsche did a pretty good job making up for it though. The sw20 snap oversteer is 9/10 times the fault of the driver for not keeping the rear loaded though. Drivers who are familiar with mr layout know to apply light throttle into corners to stabilize the vehicle, whereas anyone else would bring their fr instincts with them and wrap the car around the tree. Lift off and any other variant of snap oversteer is a skill issue. There was nothing wrong with the sw20's suspension. It just wasn't user friendly for front engined enthusiasts which made it far less forgiving. The 911 is an example of a car that has legitimate issues with how its designed, being that it only has a rr layout for legacy reasons. Its literally a flawed layout that is only kept out of tradition. Any compromise in road conditions and the 911 suffers greatly.

26. 4 weeks ago
    Greased Geese

put the sideways engine in the back

27. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Frustrated, perhaps?

28. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Transverse Vs are a b***h to work on if you need to do anything to the back half of the engine. If you're getting a transverse, do yourself a favor and make sure it's an inline configuration.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

For me, it's the transversely mounted inline 8

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It depends. The transverse engined mid ferraris (308,328,mondial) are much easier to work on than the longitudinal ones because you can change the timing belt without removing the entire engine.

29. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

thank you anonymous poster on DA i can finally see now. thanks to your insight i am now selling my car with a transverse mounted engine.

youre a Black person.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *