You people always go on and on about "old good new bad" but how true is that really?

You people always go on and on about "old good new bad" but how true is that really?
Should I really get a 1996 7.3l cclb 4x4 xlt for 30k instead of a 2017 5.0 f150 lariat with half as many miles?

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

Anus Alien Shirt $21.68

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you're going to be towing shit, get the new one. Besides, holy frick, $30K is way too much for a 20 year old truck.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/WUtTA5h.jpeg

Should I really get a 1996 7.3l cclb 4x4 xlt for 30k instead of a 2017 5.0 f150 lariat with half as many miles?

Also you can get both of those vehicles for much less than $30k. My 2017 5.0 SC/LB was $16k OTD with 89k miles on it. I've been buying old ford diesels for a long time now and I have yet to pay more than $6k for a good running driving IDI or pre-97 PSD. Just ignore the BAT morons and set up alerts on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist. Also learn to wrench because shops will not want to work on them for the most part.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>20 year old
      Anon...

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

gosh dang we're all getting old

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The 7.3 is a legend for a reason, anon.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Correct. You forgot to mention the reasons is widespread and total moronation.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I literally have both those vehicles. My 2017 is reliable and fine and "fast" and tows alright which is good because I need it for work. But its also way too comfortable and boring as hell and even though it is on paper faster and more powerful than my 7.3s in every metric, it is not exciting. My old fords, even the shitty 300/302/351 gassers just "feel" fun. The diesels, both the IDIs and PSDs sound amazing, rowing an old diesel through gears is an experience. Driving one on summer roads listening to country on actual FM radio is an irreplaceable feeling. So I'm saying you should get both.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Or just get the coyote and a cheap not as nice truck. Like a beat 7.3IDI and put a banks sidewinder on it. Or heck even a single cab 5spd 302 or 351 is a blast.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The 7.3 will pull heavier shit

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I used to drive a truck with a 7.3 for a living. I hated every minute of it. Slowest thing you can possibly buy. That said it wasn’t my truck, so it’s not like I cared about its supposed excellent reliability.

New trucks are so much nicer and faster and quieter it’s unreal.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you pay more than $10k for an old truck you should be hanged, drawn, and quartered (legally)

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you want a truck that feeds itself its own shit, requires weird blue fluid to clean its exhaust, and will break soon and often, get the newer one.

8. 2 weeks ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

I'd get a cummins over a 7.3, more reliable, mechanical injection, no electronic lift pump, no high pressure oil system, no crank or cam sensors, no ecu, no injector harness, there's just so much less shit to break and they get better fuel mileage

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Less shit to break on the engine, unfortunately the rest of the shipping crate is soon to dissolve off the Cummins if it hasn't already. Also the thing immediately after the Cummins that is responsible for transporting that impressive 185hp/400ft-lbs TORK to the wheels is a massive liability unless its an NV4500 in which case it is only a minor liability unless you like the overdrive gear.

• 2 weeks ago
        [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

>unfortunately the rest of the shipping crate is soon to dissolve off the Cummins if it hasn't already
        no?
        the transmission is an NV4500HD, same transmissions used by chevy, ford
        my transmission has has the overdrive nut replaced with the new style nut that doesn't back off
        also, 185hp?
        I put a fuel plate in it and a boost elbow and that shit pulls 10k lbs easily up mt potosi doing the speed limit the entire way, I've got the EGTs to break 1k like maybe 5 times ever

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>same transmissions used by chevy, ford
          I dont give a shit what chevy uses but ford never used the 3500/4500. ZF5 pre-98 and ZF6 post-98.
          >also, 185hp?
          That's what the stock P-pump 6bt makes. Ve is somewhere in the neighborhood of 225 stock
          >blah blah blah fuel spaghetti elbow plate
          An intercooled 7.3 can do around 350hp just by plugging a doohicky into a thingamabob. More with some oversized injectors and a whicked wheel and a bigger downpipe. Yeah, with modification the 6bt can make and reliably hold way more power than a 7.3 I won't debate that, but unless OP is doing competitive tractor pull it doesn't really matter. I genuinely love 6bts especially P-pump 12vs. One of my favorite trucks I ever owned was a fummins 93 F-350. Which brings me to my most important point which is that dawdge interiors in the second and third gen ram are obviously inferior to even japcrap econoboxes of the day and do not age well, and its not even controversial that the body panels rot off at a disconcertingly high rate when exposed to any kind of winter climate.

https://i.imgur.com/YMYQheX.jpeg

https://dynomitediesel.com/products/dodge-cummins-94-98-59l-12-valve-fuel-plate-kit-dynomite-diesel
          I got this kit and immediately burned the clutch up the first time I drove the truck, it fricking roasted the stock clutch
          put a south bend clutch in and it's been good ever since

Based PBR down the yap though

• 2 weeks ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

The interior being one plastic shit pile that’s slightly better than another plastic shit pile ain’t gonna make you feel better when your engine stops working in the middle of a long tow trip
            Having a break down when towing is such a massive can of worms being opened
            Mechanical injection from a P pump isn’t the limiting factor of power, that’s for sure
            P pump has limitless fueling potential and still no bullshit computers to break or high pressure oil system to start leaking internally

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Idk man, pic related plastic dash has been through two rollover accidents and has been exposed to the elements with the windows broken out of it for the past 6 months plus 200k miles of teenage truck abuse and still isnt cracked. Fills me with a certain warm and fuzzy that "minty" second gens that saw more than 2 hours of UV light in their life can never provide.
            >ain’t gonna make you feel better when your engine stops working in the middle of a long tow trip
            True, but there are PLENTY of things that can shut a completely mechanical Cummins down too. From shitty lift pumps to le KDP meme to that annoying governor spring and nut that backs out. That's the nature of old trucks. There are really only two electric parts that can shut down a 7.3PSD on the side of the road and that is the IPR and CPS. The ICP can just be left unplugged and it will revert to a default map. Most of the time you can revive an IPR by pulling it and manually running it a few times and cleaning the screen. CPS is a $25 OE part that has one bolt and can be swapped in 10 mins. I'm not really a PSD guy though. There are annoying additional maintenance things like checking your UVCH connections every once and a while to make sure they aren't backing out and shorting the IDM, or wiring open the warmup valve. I like my IDIs and they run WMO/WVO really well and have a mechanical rotary pump. I have an IDIT and after turning it up one flat it pulls better than my PSDs on a stock tune and that is enough for me.

• 2 weeks ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

Lift pumps aren’t a problem on the p pump trucks, the VE pump trucks use a diaphragm pump and the diaphragm breaks, the P pump use a piston style pump that never really fricks up
            I did the KDP the first day I got the truck, took an hour
            I’ve never heard of a governor nut backing out and I run mine only one click in, stock is like 5 or 6 clicks out

• 2 weeks ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

>I like my IDIs and they run WMO/WVO
            Same I run all 3 of my mechanical diesels on waste motor oil, om617, 6bt and VW ALH, they all love it
            Also the 6bt gets 25mpg and makes a shit ton of power unlike an IDI

• 2 weeks ago
        [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

https://dynomitediesel.com/products/dodge-cummins-94-98-59l-12-valve-fuel-plate-kit-dynomite-diesel
        I got this kit and immediately burned the clutch up the first time I drove the truck, it fricking roasted the stock clutch
        put a south bend clutch in and it's been good ever since

• 2 weeks ago
          [BULDGESPOTTERS] Big Gulp

I put a wiener in my mouth and immediately choked until I blacked out. I woke up in the ICU with an incredible thirst for more wiener and nothing can cure it

9. 2 weeks ago
    Greased Geese

if i was forced to spend 30k on a f150 itd have a 351w in it and not some wienersucking mod motor

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

30k for a 351? I just bought a 94 with a 351 for $3500. I love this guy.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>BaT truck
    Dumb
    >New truck
    Dumb

I own a 400k mi gmt800 and have owned it for a decade. I do all the work on it including a transmission rebuild.

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get the newer truck with the coyote. Some gays will say it's a car engine, but it has plenty of power for a half ton. I'd avoid the 10 speed though, I absolutely despise the piece of shit 10R80 in mine.

12. 2 weeks ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

oh hey look I got a notruck to sperg out

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *