Any mechanics mind helping out? Driving home lost all power steering and the engine had a whine under load.

Any mechanics mind helping out? Driving home lost all power steering and the engine had a whine under load. Got home and the area in the picture around the battery around the battery was coated in red liquid. Underneath behind the driver side tire was soaked as well. I would think power steering pump but around the cap and in that area seems to be dry. Anyone got any input? It's a 2004 5.3 Chevy, it almost seems like the liquid came from below behind the tire and blew upwards, the inside of the hood on that side was soaked,much appreciated thank you.

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Red fluid sounds like power steering fluid (automatic transmission fluid) so that checks out.
    Check the actual pump, not just the reservoir, and the lines from the pump to the rack.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Question, would anything in the picture behind the tire be tied to the pump? From what I've seen the pump is under a cover towards the center of the engine

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Since it seems to be close to the tire it's likely a line blew off the rack, or near the rack. Still couldn't hurt to check all the lines.
        The pump is mounted to the engine and usually driven by one of the belts on the front.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

The pump running low on fluid would cause the whine you think? I only drove it about a mile after hearing the whine

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, most fluid pumps don't like to run dry and that'd probably cause the whining.

• 2 years ago
        Kevin Van Dam

There’s lots of hoses and the steering rack. High pressure hose blowing could send the fluid all over. Might not be at the pump. Follow the hoses between the pump-reservoir-rack & pinion

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

It seems like something there blew and was shooting liquid from below, from the spray pattern on the inside of the hood, it's all segregated to that one small

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

yup, ATF has a very distinctive smell but the whine and red fluid is enough to close the case imo.

Question, would anything in the picture behind the tire be tied to the pump? From what I've seen the pump is under a cover towards the center of the engine

Much more likely that one of your PS lines broke, rusted through, or came loose. If you have a transmission cooler attached to your radiator it may also ATF from your actual transmission. Find a diagram of the Power steering and automatic transmission lines from your truck, and check all of the connections and unions. If you don't find anything check all of the actual lines to make sure they're not broken.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

If it were a transmission cooler line, would that affect power steering at all? I have zero in park

• 2 years ago
          Kevin Van Dam

The pump running low on fluid would cause the whine you think? I only drove it about a mile after hearing the whine

Prob power steering. It definitely whines when the pump is trying to push air. Check the reservoir, easy way to tell if the PS fluid blew out.

This

There’s lots of hoses and the steering rack. High pressure hose blowing could send the fluid all over. Might not be at the pump. Follow the hoses between the pump-reservoir-rack & pinion

is where the power steering lines go to. Check around there and see what blew.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

Nope, nevermind...I was just thinking of everything that atf could be used for. It's definitely a power steering line. It shouldn't take too long for you to check them all.

• 2 years ago
        Kevin Van Dam

Trans cooler is a good call as well, especially on a pickup.

Hopefully it’s a PS hose and a relatively cheap fix for OP.

Also OP, what color is the fluid in the power steering fluid reservoir? Is it red? Is the reservoir empty? If it’s not red and it’s full, trans line.

2. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Is it safe to open a ps tank when the engine is hot

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Yup, there's not enough (any?) pressure in the tank. You'll have a hot and a cold level line...I'm guessing you're going to be dry or very close.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Also---This is about as close as I could get to a diagram with a quick google. You may want to have something to look at to make sure you don't miss any fittings, but a flashlight is probably all you need.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

That's the 4.8 mines the 5.3

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Same base block, diagram should still apply.

• 2 years ago
            Kevin Van Dam

Is the battery near #2 in that pic? Check around there and then underneath from 4 to 5. It’s really only a couple lines.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Yeah the battery is directly above the soaked area behind the tire. That whole little section was DRENCHED. It was coming out of the gap between the hood and the panel on the side, only place

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

It's not connected to the engine's temperature, the engine's off so the pump isn't running, and since it sounds like a power steering line blew there's not gonna be any pressure left in the system anyway.

• 2 years ago
      Kevin Van Dam

You good, no pressure in the reservoir, although you can normally see the level from the outside, especially with red fluid.

3. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Checked the PS tank, almost empty but the fluid at bottom was red

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>Case Closed
      Now find why it leaked and fix it....most of the culprits are easy/cheap fixes that you can do yourself.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Where should I start behind the tire where it got soaked? Is it usually the entire hose that goes or what? Also, how do I check it? Put fluid in and have someone turn the wheel and look for leaks? Also, is it like bleeding brakes and a pain in the ass?

• 2 years ago
          Kevin Van Dam

It should be easier than bleeding brakes. Fill the reservoir, turn the wheel lock to lock, add more, keep turning the wheel until the reservoir stops emptying.

There’s not that many lines, just follow them to and from the pump-reservoir-rack- and cooler if you have it until you see one that popped off or blew out. Or you could add more fluid and have somebody steer while you look for the leak, but it’s a waste of fluid if it’s a big leak with the hose blown.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

That's the 4.8 mines the 5.3

Start at the pump - There's a low pressure return line and a high pressure line. If they're both good find where they attach on the rack and check those fittings. If all of those are nice and tight follow each individual line to see where it's broken. If all else fails, put some ATF in the tank, have someone start the truck and figure out where it's gushing from. As for the diagram I posted - it'll be identical/extremely similar.

• 2 years ago
      Kevin Van Dam

Now you get to find the leaky line. At least anon found the graphic for you. With it blown on your battery, it’s gotta be one of the high pressure lines I would guess.

4. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Is 60 for a tow to a Chevy mechanic moonlighting and 60 bucks an hour plus parts a fair deal? I imagine he'll be able to locate it quickly with a lift and the info I give him instead of me laying in 100 degree heat on gravel lol

5. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Thanks everyone for the help

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *