Anonymous

Ye

4. 3 weeks ago
    p

No I only drive CVT's exclusively.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Drive manual, ride shifter.
    My "mountain" bike i ride around my housing area is geared too.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yep, if you can't you can get a restricted licence that just covers auto and invalid carriages.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

> if you can't you can get a restricted licence
      Jeez, what kind of cuckstate do you live in??? It's not like driving manual is hard.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Standard on this side of the pond, if you can't drive stick then there must be something wrong with you. Apparently.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yes

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yes i can
    i just don't like it

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Came 2 post

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I miss driving a manual

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i'll do you one better, i'm an American and i've never driven an automatic. My mom and grandparents only buy manuals so that's what I learned on and bought. I've never rented a car.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i do, but i don't really prefer to nor care. I hate how save the manuals went from being about saving fun cars to a bunch of poor europeans coping about driving the cheaper model

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

never learned how to.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Every vehicle I've owned has been a standard. my first car was an auto, but I swapped it to a standard. It does suck when you're stuck in stop and go traffic, but that's only happened like 2 or 3 times in the 15 years I've been driving.

I'll teach you bro, we're all gonna make it.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>my first car was an auto, but I swapped it to a standard.
        excuse me, based?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

It used to be easier

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

80s car? Some shitty old hydraulic 4spd that didnt touch the ECU?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>ECU
            Whassat then?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

yeah was bolt assuming you had EFI in the 80s lmao

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Up until about 2005, 2010, thereabouts
            They didn't need ECU swaps, they had dual-drive ECUs, so whatever they were plugged into they recognized
            Like, if your car didn't have cruise control, all you needed to do was swap out the steering wheel stalk and presto, now you have cruise control

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Like, if your car didn't have cruise control, all you needed to do was swap out the steering wheel stalk and presto, now you have cruise control
            unironically a mod for many mid 00s toyotas, since toyota (mostly) just used the same bits and pieces for all trim levels. not uncommon to find the unused connectors just taped up with the wire harness up in the dash, waiting to get plugged into whatever accessory was missing.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>dual-drive ECUs
            what did xe mean by this?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

He, him, his, autist, el autismo and shill
            The same computers just worked with whatever troony you clicked them into, you didn't need to do anything other than manage the interior trim

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

for me it's 90s toyotas, manual swapped my cressida, only thing is the overdrive light keeps flashing as the shift solenoid connector is now unplugged, but nothing removing the bulb can't fix. Otherwise it drives perfectly on the auto ecu. if i wanted cruise control working, i can just unpin the black wire from the cruise control computer, at which point i'd just have to remember to disengage CC before pushing the clutch in, otherwise it'd rev its breasts off.

Will I burn my clutch doing that? Think I already smelled it a little bit trying to creep up my driveway with the other foot on the brake. Now I try not to engage it longer than a second, otherwise just gain some speed and then clutch back in and coast, then repeat as needed.

you'd only burn it if you let the clutch out over several seconds with a big rpm difference between engine and troony, like 2k rpm difference, and with a stock flywheel they're pretty easy to rev match.
            clutches are designed to to slip, to a certain extent. i feel like this is one of those "how long is too long" things that really depends on what your doing, and is understood far better when you do it yourself than any way i could explain it in words.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Learned on a shitbox mazda 3 while I was an apprentice

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

why is it so hard to find a manual car in muttland bros? I learned on one but my past cars have been automatic

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You have options, just not many if you want cheap and affordable.

Mazda3 Hatch, MX-5, Honda Civic Si, Mini Cooper/Clubman, VW Golf/Jetta, GR Corolla, GR86, Supra, 718, 911, M2/3/4/5, etc.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Because there is no point to a manual outside of 'driving enthusiast' vehicles anymore. Nobody buys manuals on anything else. Driving in traffic with a manual is pure AIDS, your econobox daily does not need one.

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No, I'd like to learn someday.

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Of course, I drive an automatic though.

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No. It's 2024. Manuals are dead technology.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

that's why I drive manual though, to feel superior in my lostech vehicle

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Sliding gears

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>unsynchronized
      *cronch*

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Anon you don't have to out yourself like that.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

homie i can barely drive a synchro let alone rev match on an unsynchronized turd with no tach

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Skill issue. Its like a melody you have to play. And the melody is always the same, it just goes to higher tones until you realize its the proper time to shift.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It's not that bad. I did racing school with old-school formula cars that not only were unsynchro'd but also had straight-cut gears, only took me a an hour or so to start getting the hang of it and it was second nature by the end of the 3-day school. It was actually harder to break the habit of double-clutching when I was done and started driving my own car again.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

hahaha
            don't worry though you'll get the hang of it eventually

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yeah
    i actually like choosing what gear i'm on
    and no paddle shifters are not an option since i drive only shitboxes

20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yes, but I dont

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No but I want to learn

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yeah. I got my first manual car in 2004 and never owned an auto again until I got my current truck in 2022.

23. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yes but I don't like it. Got an automatic once I could afford it

24. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I legally should only be able to drive manuals. Autos are so boring that I risk falling asleep at the wheel.

25. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Been driving only manual.

26. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No. I'm also trans

27. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yeah I taught myself in less than 15 minutes. Don't pretend like driving a synchronized manual is at all hard.

28. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yes maam

29. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm learning now. It's not that bad but frustrating compared to a motorcycle transmission.
    Fricking hills though and also fricking hill assist making it even harder. I kept stalling, I'm just using the handbrake method now and not using the foot brake which keeps hill assist from engaging. I'm not confident enough to fully turn off hill assist though in case I end up not using the handbrake for some reason.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Practice by just letting out the clutch
      Don't use the gas pedal at all until you get used to letting off the clutch and the brake at the same time
      Don't use the handbrake method, just stop giving it gas, it won't lug if you let it out slowly enough

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

My friend suggested the exact same thing actually. You mean on flat ground though right? I did try that a few times, but I'll drill it some more. Part of what makes it tricky is that the clutch has a lot of travel and the bite point is somewhere in the middle, so I can't just use my foot like a lever I have to move my whole leg. But yeah that's a good idea to find the exact bite point, right now I kinda only have a vague idea where it is and I can be slow to reach it hence my concern about rolling back.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yeah start on flat ground, and if you're in traffic, the handbrake thing can come in handy but it's a crutch
          When my dad taught me to drive he did the most boomer thing in his life
          He drove the car to a bridge near our house, got in the left turn lane pointed uphill at a red light, put the brake on, got out, and walked his ass home
          "Figure it out."

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Damn anon that's traumatic
            And yeah it's a crutch for sure, long term I plan to keep practicing till I have full clutch control.
            In terms of actually shifting learning how the gearbox actually works has been pretty helpful to understand why some things work and others don't and what to consider
            >I thought that if the clutch was pushed in I could pick any gear I wanted
            >didn't realize that's when the magic of synchros kicks in and if I did something moronic like pick R that it would grind
            >practice double clutching on the highway for kicks

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It was at the onramp to the freeway, too
            He bought us Long John Silvers and we watched I think Time Cop afterward but I did have a bit of a mental breakdown while I slowly slid backward down the turn lane with people driving around me

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>so I can't just use my foot like a lever I have to move my whole leg.
          try finding a spit to rest your heel on to use as a fulcrum. the only issue doing this is if you need to constantly do fine clutch control (e.g. reversing into a parking spot and needing to make adjustments) then you might find that your foot slips up the pedal and you have to shimmy it back down while trying not to let go of the clutch

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Will I burn my clutch doing that? Think I already smelled it a little bit trying to creep up my driveway with the other foot on the brake. Now I try not to engage it longer than a second, otherwise just gain some speed and then clutch back in and coast, then repeat as needed.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>so I can't just use my foot like a lever I have to move my whole leg.
            try finding a spit to rest your heel on to use as a fulcrum. the only issue doing this is if you need to constantly do fine clutch control (e.g. reversing into a parking spot and needing to make adjustments) then you might find that your foot slips up the pedal and you have to shimmy it back down while trying not to let go of the clutch

It's also crazy how a motorcycle clutch is way more robust and replacing it takes an hour. But in cars it's impossible to access and costs $3k now with bidenomics pricing. So much for a wear item that you have to baby so it doesn't shit out before an automatic transmission would.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>It's also crazy how a motorcycle clutch is way more robust
            a motorcycle clutch is more similar to oil-immersed automatic transmission clutches than a manual's dry clutch. also you do realize the vehicle is legitimately 1/10 the weight, right?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>motorcycle clutch is way more robust
            they typically don't have to deal with more than 30-80lb-ft of torque. motorcycle engines don't make nearly as much torque as car engines. my car is over 30 years old and produces 350 lb-ft of torque, the manufacturer would have had to redesign the bell housing to include seals and everything to have a wet clutch.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>a motorcycle clutch is way more robust
            it's not lol, I see people having to replace their bike clutches much more often than people who need their car clutches replaced

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Handbrake is footbrake on a bike. When on hills you're trained (here) to leave the hand/foot brake on until you have the vehicle stabilised on the throttle and clutch and it is pulling slightly then release or take your foot of the brake and follow through with the clutch.
      Clear as mud I'm sure but it works however many wheels you have.

tldr old sod rants.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Right it just makes sense on a bike, so it makes sense in a car too. I think I'll do it all the time like you do over there even if my fellow car people will think I'm a freak or bad driver.

>Is there a reason cars don't just do wet clutches too?
        I'm guessing weight, Ducatti does dry clutches, too

Makes sense all that liquid is heavy I suppose

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I'm it's a crutch Anon
          Handbrake skills are important but you should learn to not need it
          It won't take long, you're overthinking it, I stopped driving stick for 10 years and it only took me a handful of shifts to get back into the swing of things
          I just thought of the time that I handbrake-turned into a parallel parking spot with my wife
          That was fricking cool
          She wasn't my wife back then
          Handbrakes have their uses, but you should learn how to not use them, also

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I just let go of the clutch pedal slowly until the wheel starts to vibrate more and then release the brake pedal. If the car stays in place you are at the point you can give it some gas and release the clutch and it won't stall.

30. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yep

31. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yeah, i use picrel

32. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Not a car

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Dumpy dump trucker

Howdy driver!

33. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Of course. Automatics are for women and gays

34. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ya

35. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Learned how in my good buddy's mini Cooper. I'm very inexperienced but I managed to drive it around town only stalling a few times.
    In the process of buying a trueno gr86, so I'm gonna have to learn pretty quick

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>trueno gr86
      red or white

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

White of course

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I'm kinda liking the red, but yeah the white is by far the more fitting.

36. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yup

37. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  38. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm poor and european, so you may guess the answer

39. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm a euro, so yes. I learned to drive on a manual, my first few cars were manuals. But in the city, driving stick is absolutely fricking miserable, so I'm never buying a manual car again if I can help it.

40. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Of course. Taught all my siblings to drive stick too. There's a car park we went to with a slight slope. At first take off down hill, when their confidence builds, take off on the flat. Finally uphill. Same procedure with reverse parks and three point turns. Pressure them to go faster and faster to make it muscle memory.

41. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How do I buy a stick shift if I can't test drive or even drive it home? I don't have any friends.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Driving school maybe. You kinda need someone to show you around a parking lot at least once or twice. A dealer might have a beater car to learn on if they really want to get a sale.

>It's also crazy how a motorcycle clutch is way more robust
      a motorcycle clutch is more similar to oil-immersed automatic transmission clutches than a manual's dry clutch. also you do realize the vehicle is legitimately 1/10 the weight, right?

Is there a reason cars don't just do wet clutches too?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I'm guessing weight, Ducatti does dry clutches, too

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Automatics do, that's why they last so fricking long.
        Not sure why nobody's made a wet-clutched manual though. Maybe the added complexity makes it more worthwhile to just build an automatic instead. You need an oiling system for it, and a cooler for said oil.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

For what it's worth you'd have to put it inside the transmission case so it would be even more of an absolute b***h c**t to replace and wouldn't necessarily last that much longer if not abused.

42. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The thumbnail looked like scat fetish suit

43. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>>Can you drive manual?
    No.

44. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i cant not drive a manual. i haven't owned an auto ever. when i buy a new car in 2050 ill most likely have outlived the torque converter altogether and have never had to experience such a miserable device.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You have to be 18 to post here.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

i got my license in 2004. parents only drove manuals and the 3 cars i bought are too.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

does anyone even use the splitter

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I can drive these and I can't drive a manual car

45. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

no. i dont intend to nor do i care to

46. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yes, would be difficult to get around if I didn't.

47. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Sure can't.

48. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No, I've never known anybody who owns or knows how to drive manual so I've never had the opportunity to even try.

49. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

never have never will

50. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yeah, but I blew my left knee out when I was in the service so it can be difficult. Short drives aren't too challenging, but sustained clutch work can really wear out my joints and eventually cause some serious pain. Hasn't been a problem, since all of my cars have been automatic for about a decade. I'm inheriting my dad's old F-150 which has the ZF S5-42, however, so that'll be fun. I won't swap an auto into that thing. I learned how to drive in it, so it's staying original.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I not only can drive them but can and have rebuilt them and automatics too. That is not a big deal.
      Transmission choice is a strange hill to die on as if using one is an accomplishment or somehow demanding. Are your lives really so barren that matters? Evidently so.

True enthusiasts wrench and are the complete masters of our machines, not mere operators. That gives you amazing options while slashing your cost of living, but DA hates challenge so it invents false ones to simulate accomplishments hence these threads.

Beware of unwise sentiment since chronic pain does not improve with age and joint wear (AKA arthritis) eventually requires joint replacement which is subsequently SEVERELY limiting. The less damage (which pain is warning you about) you do the longer you can put off crippledom which gets us all if we don't luck out and die first.

Smart play even if you dislike the idea is accumulating a C6 (if you wrench they're really easy to overhaul, just avoid noob mistakes like facing snap rings the wrong direction) and shifter of your choice for example a floor shifter) before you're too damaged to do the swap and that time comes sooner than most want to imagine. C6 come in suitable bell housings and of course need no computer making them ideal for bolt-in retrofit.

Of course if you have other trucks you could just sell it when the time comes but sentimental vehicles tend to be "parked with good intentions" then rot until the estate sale. You can always save the ZF parts for the next owner. Whoever gets my trucks will have a nice pile of parts and organ donor vehicles.

If you didn't know about https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php it's full of ancient Ford dealer and other mechanics.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>joint pain
        That ship has sailed. I'm just waiting for the VA to approve the replacement at this point. My knee is about 97% of the way gone. Is what it is.

>C6
        I have enough cars otherwise. I've got a newer muscle car, two off road SUVs, and a tow pig. I'm likely to also inherit an old CJ-7 soon.

The F-150 is a passion project. It's a ground up restoration opportunity that I plan to teach my son cars with. There's a generational torch passing with me teaching him like my father did with me. Even if it becomes too difficult for me to drive, he can take it.

I'm a mechanic kind of enthusiast. Working on the shit is most of the fun for me. I'll gladly take on the project just to save the thing from being crushed. I enjoy that kind of shit.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

its a filter for casuals, nps and people with bad motor skills

51. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Serious question, how do I recover from chugging when I let the clutch out to early?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Push pedal back in and modulate throttle. Too many people let clutches out early in the mistaken belief they'll hurt them by using the friction disc for its intended porpoise.

52. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

no I cant why would I in America?

53. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it's gay if you can't

54. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yes, been dailying a 5 speed for over 10 years. My second car is also a 6 speed.

55. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i drove stick a year ago after not driving stick for over 10 years. short story, it did not go well. i was able to pick it back up again after 15 minutes or so but holy shit it was embarrassing and frustrating.

56. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Learning anon here. Just doing a bit of practice each evening after rush hour. It's getting better and I'm not so intimidated by hills anymore, although that'd be the only occasion I stall.

Now what I'm trying to concentrate on is shifting in one fluid motion. Right now it's like I'm spending a second or two on each part of the shift and it's all disjointed.
    >on upshifts one to two the revs fall *too much* and the car engine brakes
    >on downshifts the blip revs fall before I let the clutch out so I blip it twice

Also it's terrifying being so slow at shifting and not knowing heel toe braking as I come up to an off ramp. Just forcing myself not to coast in neutral.

It all feels like when I was learning to ride my motorcycle. I remember feeling every single one of these things. And I know there's no words that can describe it it's all just a feel when everything clicks into place with room for incremental improvements on each shift.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *