Cars for Snow

Moving from Miami to Maine. I was going to keep my C7 corvette since people survived in snowy conditions before AWD was common, but everyone I know who has lived up north said that was a bad idea and I need something with AWD and at last 8 inches of ground clearance.

I prefer something sporty, but the ground clearance is an issue so I might need an SUV. I was thinking about:
>Genesis GV80 3.5T
>Audi Q7 or Q8
>BMW X4M
>Mercedes GLE 450 4matic
>Volvo XC90 or V60

Thoughts on these? Do I really need 8+ inches of ground clearance if I'm not going offroad?

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No homie, they have these things called snow ploughs.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Don't get anything too fancy, somalis will jack it.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

What somalis? I'm going to have a detached garage with no windows or regular doors. I'm going to have a security system and garage door locks that are bolted to the ground and the bottom of the garage doors, so it should be pretty secure.

Real snow accumulation is no joke, and you'll run into things like hidden curbs and rills caused by plows that it's better to go over than hit.
      8 inches of ground clearance is not a bad suggestion.

Thanks

Op I've lived in NE Ohio for my entire life and have been dealing with dogshit winter road conditions as a result. I recently bought a Subaru WRX and a set of dedicated winter tires and it's great. I know it's not a corvette but it's great as a sporty AWD sedan that provides excellent control on snow covered roads. No matter what you buy though make sure you buy a dedicated set of WINTER tires. 8 inches of clearance seems excessive to me, I've driven all my life in sedans during the winter with no clearence issues. just make sure you buy quality rims that are designed to withstand potholes and won't deform.

The only thing I don't like about the WRX is that it's a kiddo car and I'm on the wrong side of 30.

>but everyone I know who has lived up north said that was a bad idea and I need something with AWD
      Wrong, nobody has awd in finland and people are daily driving rear wheel drive cars you need proper nordic winter tires.

You have vodka, cigarettes, and coffee for breakfast.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>the WRX is that it's a kiddo car
        it is but if you are planning on driving this car year round it is also one of the few AWD cars left that is sporty and at the same time has full-time 50/50 AWD and not the gay glorified FWD-99%-of-the-time Haldex AWD
        if it isn't a year round car then just a beater 4x4 trugg will do for the snow

either way a set of winter tires would be nice for when it isn't snowing but when it is I recommend actual designated tall snow tires, even better with studs
        I also recommend a seperate set of wheels for those snow tires so it's nice and easy to take the tires on and off in your own garage when you see snow is coming
        a set of steelies would do just fine

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Maine is like one of the whitest states in America.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Not after I move there.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Not anymore, it's the new Minnesota. A lot of Somalians are being moved in.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

And that's problematic and not diverse, so non prophet organizations have been fixing that problematic whiteness, and these boys need to experience white privilege

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's the whitest state, and also the safest state...

Which is why ngos and your own government target it for the worst of the African refugees with sub 70 iq

https://i.imgur.com/gSOTzMq.jpeg

And that's problematic and not diverse, so non prophet organizations have been fixing that problematic whiteness, and these boys need to experience white privilege

Kek

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Not on Biden's watch

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Real snow accumulation is no joke, and you'll run into things like hidden curbs and rills caused by plows that it's better to go over than hit.
    8 inches of ground clearance is not a bad suggestion.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

depends on where in maine you're moving to. it's a big state and extremely varied from very developed libtard coastal cities to completely wild unincorporated redneck towns. if you're on the coast i wouldn't worry too much about it as you'll likely get plowed out fairly quickly but the farther inland you go the more you'll want a truck and 4wd.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'm near the mountains in Vermont and drive a front wheel drive with no issues since everything is cleared away fairly quick and I have good tires. Unless you're going to be somewhere of higher elevation where you get the 18 inch+ dumps of snow or as this anon says, only then is a larger car with AWD/4X4 necessary. And unless you want that corvette to rust away, I would not drive it in the winter at all.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I drive a shitbox FRS in Minnesota winters, just get some snow tires and learn throttle control

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Tacoma or whatever sports car and a shit beater 4x4

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Op I've lived in NE Ohio for my entire life and have been dealing with dogshit winter road conditions as a result. I recently bought a Subaru WRX and a set of dedicated winter tires and it's great. I know it's not a corvette but it's great as a sporty AWD sedan that provides excellent control on snow covered roads. No matter what you buy though make sure you buy a dedicated set of WINTER tires. 8 inches of clearance seems excessive to me, I've driven all my life in sedans during the winter with no clearence issues. just make sure you buy quality rims that are designed to withstand potholes and won't deform.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

so cringe lmao if you cant daily your c7 you suck wiener at driving or are too poor to afford tires for your car

"yea get a volvo suv" lmao clown

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it seems that everyone in Maine is a huge homosexual

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

we get a lot of snow. people drive whatever rwd shitboxes are cheap, bmw, mercedes, etc

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Subaru Outback

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

these are legal in Maine during winter. with these you have better cards than all those eurohomosexual SUVs without studs.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>but everyone I know who has lived up north said that was a bad idea and I need something with AWD
    Wrong, nobody has awd in finland and people are daily driving rear wheel drive cars you need proper nordic winter tires.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You guys probably have better road maintenance. Pretty sure your rednecks have those snow cats and big 4x4s for getting around the countryside

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you can keep two cars, great. Otherwise sell the corvette. As soon as you drive it in the salty winter itll slowly start rotting away, the market value will take a hit, and you risk eating shit and smashing a curb/snowbank. 400+ hp is no joke when there is zero traction
    AWD isnt necesary but helps a lot when you start from a stop. Clearance starts to matter when youre 50miles out from the city centre.
    Maslows heirarchy for winter driving:
    1) Driver skill
    2) Winter tires
    3) Drive wheel setup

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>As soon as you drive it in the salty winter itll slowly start rotting away

As a leaf, I'll say that anyone that has a nice 'not daily' car locks it away for the winter. You don't need to sell it, but it absolutely needs to be kept safe in a garage while there is any sort of salt on the roads.

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Snow tires on a Honda Crosstour
    All the cars you listed a trash, except maybe the Volvo since those are hit and miss.

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's a good idea. You'll pay a staggering shit-ton, for snow tires that fit a vette, you'll need weight in that tiny trunk and even then, a frozen snowdrift will eat the ground-effects and possibly exhaust, right off that thing.

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

All those vehicles use really fricking stupid low profile 25 section tires that are also too wide. It only takes one rogue pothole to take out your $500 tire (x4 because muh AWD) and your $1200 rim.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

lol that must be fun doing low speed drifts at intersections

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Dude, just get a stock, good condition XJ.
      Stay focused on the Goal here:

Safe and modestly comfortable transport in some of the deepest snows that this country offers.
      Pissing away $60K on an SUV that's gonna face a lot of wear and tear will really be a PITA.
      As indicated, you WILL lose expensive rims and tires up there; it's only a matter of when and how many occurrences.

You can always upgrade once you have a feel for the area and winters.

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Honestly just get a Subaru Outback like all you lesbians up there.

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

E90/E92 xdrive. 335i preferably.

20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Do like everyone around here and get a Subaru Crosstrek/Ouback, depending on how fat you are. You add Michelin/Bridgestone/Nokian winter tires and you're good to go.

Keep the Corvette in a garage for winter.

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Spent a winter living on a mountain thinking that a FWD econobox was plenty. It was adequate until it wasn't. Promptly bought a cheap AWD truck in the spring.

If you live in a city then you can get away with RWD. Otherwise there's no point in risking it

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>AWD truck
      So you got a Ridgeline?

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Is that a fricking GTX in the snow? That goes hard as shit

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

lol that must be fun doing low speed drifts at intersections

He's always out ripping in the deep snowfalls like that. Props to him for having the balls to drive something like that in weather like that.

One of the guys who owns a bunch of liquor stores around here has winter tires on his C7 ZR1 and daily drives it in the snow. Just zero fricks.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

absolutely based
        the kind of DAtism we should aspire to

23. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

There is absolutely no point in getting a nice car in the NE. The road salt destroys all.

24. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just get a winter beater. even better if you can bring something rust-free up from florida.

25. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Im on the opposite side of the country, but here's my suggestions for winter
    >Lots of ground clearance
    >Good tires
    >Enough room to hold a cooler and a place to sleep comfortably.
    Our immigrants seem to drive faster in whiteout conditions and cause traffic jams that take days to clear. I have been stuck on a pass overnight once, and for a few hours on a few occasions. thankfully I had a suburban, waterproof storage box, case of water, snacks, piss jug, winter clothes, sleeping bag, battery pack, brushes, shovel and tire chains. I also have a tow rope. I was comfy and I was able to help some other drivers who were unprepared.

Anyways I'd get a Subaru Crosstrek sport for winter- its a great snowmobile. CVT, AWD, ground clearance, low emissions, good MPG, or hours per gallon when leaving it running and enough room to sleep if the traffic gets that bad.

And like everyone else says put the Corvette in the house except for summer time

26. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

There is one winter car over all others

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *