Dashcam suggestions

I've put it off far too long and I need to get a dashcam, but I don't want to end up buying some Huawei Chinese pile of shit that barely works. Anybody got a strong recommendation? Budget isn't a concern, I'd rather spend an extra $50 than get a 240p budget cam.

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I'll never get a dashcam. Police can seize it from you if they want to prove you were speeding.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

they can't be seized, normally, for civil infractions such as speeding. such seizures, if not proven to have probable cause, will render any charges derived from said footage in a case as inadmissible in court.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

>if not proven to have probable cause
        Any bullshit can be made up on the spot to justify probable cause
        t. cop

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

>cop
          I KNEEL BORTHER FREEEDOM AINT FREE OK

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

if you were a cop then you'd know that your affidavit needs to articulate PC or you can open you and your surety bond up to litigation for violation of 4th amendment. easily disproven through FOIA of your cruiser dash cam.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

>living somewhere where the cops bother white ppl
        Couldn't be me

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

If they live around white people they are bored(unless its in meth country) so they will literally make up reasons to stop people so their day goes by faster.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

That's not how that works

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

that's why you practice grabbing the sd card and putting it in your sock... or ass

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

see

I use an old smartphone so I can record all the time and pull that shit down if something's my fault or if I just dont want to get involved. cheaper too

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

my dashcam uploads to the cloud.

>that''s why they ask you to take the key out of the ignition
      Flawed reasoning. Ignition shutdown is related to preventing suspects from fleeing the scene.

this. Also if you use a fuse tap, the camera will continue to run.

I don't wanna risk killing the battery with hardwiring it, some sort of capacitor battery that could last at least 10-15 min would be more than enough

get a $20 tap with a low voltage detector. most have selectors from 11.8 to 12.4 (leave it on 12.4)

2. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

https://dashcamtalk.com/

I bought a VIOFO A119 V3, so far I'm content with it.

3. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K. Get a radar detector while you're at it.

4. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I just returned a Viofo A129 Plus duo because the rear camera kept randomly disconnecting, it's apparently a common issue with them. That said the quality of the recordings from the front camera was excellent and I intend on buying two A129 Plus (front only) units and installing one in the back. As an added bonus, one camera shitting the bed has no effect on the other, so some redundancy there.

5. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Garmin.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I’ll say it again because every moron in this thread is ignoring the objectively best option

Garmin.

If u put a little more effort into your replies, people might take you more seriously. "#BRAND" is a terrible recommendation, people will only listen if you give a reason. At least you're clearly not a paid shill (or are really bad/new) and those garmins actually look ok.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/rgaQdBb.jpg

I've put it off far too long and I need to get a dashcam, but I don't want to end up buying some Huawei Chinese pile of shit that barely works. Anybody got a strong recommendation? Budget isn't a concern, I'd rather spend an extra $50 than get a 240p budget cam.

I’ll say it again because every moron in this thread is ignoring the objectively best option

Garmin.

Garmin mini 2 is the way to go. I just got one yesterday and it's been great so far. Lil guy is the size of my thumb and can be completely hidden behind the mirror when sitting in the driver's seat.

Having a screen on the dashcam is moronic and makes the camera bigger than it needs to be. With this you just watch footage on your phone, so the camera itself can be super small. It's like $109 usually, much better deal than some Chinese rebranded dogshit on Amazon.

6. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>Huawei Chinese pile of shit that barely works.
    Lol, generally Chinese stuff is crap, but Huawei is one of the few rare companies that make shit that out rivals every other company in terms of quality

7. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Blackvue is decent korean. Pretty highly configurable in firmware settings through the PC application. You can disable all alerts and just about all of the annoying LEDs. I have an older 2 channel one (DR650-2CH) hardwired with their device ("PowerMagicPro") that kills it if the car battery drops below a certain threshold. The wifi-connect-to-phone app sucks and is way slow, so the only reasonable way to get footage off it is to remove the SD card and plug it in to a computer with the desktop app.
    If I get the opportunity to run 200mph in Mexico I can easily just unplug the power to the camera beforehand and it will shut off in 10 seconds or so.
    Their customer support is pretty good, and they have most of the old software on their website, so buying one that's a few models out of date shouldn't be a problem.

8. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Dunno how the rest of uniden's stuff holds up, but i had their igocam 70r and the 720p rear camera was clear enough to record a dumb c**t and his plate who didn't pay attention and love tapped me in the ass at a light, before driving off when it went green. Took insurance three months to pay back my excess claim.

9. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

If it's available at your country, 70mai's 4K dashcam is pretty cheap for its capabilities.

10. 2 years ago
    Anonymoose

APEMAN C550 has worked well for me, $50 for front and back cam with good resolution.

11. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

ordro ep8

12. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Garmin.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Based Garmin buyer.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Garmins are good from a usability perspective but their image quality isn't the best and they use batteries rather than capacitors which might not hold up so well in high heat

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

I looked up specs of this one:

Based Garmin buyer.

and they do claim it uses a capacitor not a battery

13. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I put a blackvue in my gf's X1 cause the reviews said it worked well with iphone. But honestly its chink shit and it only records in 1 minute clips.
    >brackvue

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

can change recording length in settings

14. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I use an old smartphone so I can record all the time and pull that shit down if something's my fault or if I just dont want to get involved. cheaper too

15. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Use one of your phone and a dash cam app. People probably have couple laying around. Repurpose those.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>dash cam app
      do you mean the camera app?

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Dedicated dash cam apps

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trydriver.driver&gl=US
        https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dayun.driverecorder&gl=US

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

looks like something that syncs video to an external server and has an event trigger. Neat, not something I couldnt make myself, but neat

16. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Which dash cam has the ability to remain on with batteries after the car is off? Many police know people install dash cams and that''s why they ask you to take the key out of the ignition

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

they do that because they think you're going to run.
      just hardware it

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>that''s why they ask you to take the key out of the ignition
      Flawed reasoning. Ignition shutdown is related to preventing suspects from fleeing the scene.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

they do that because they think you're going to run.
        just hardware it

Then they would just ask you to turn the engine off and not take the keys out

Please do not pretend cops pull over people for good reasons.
        Anyways was looking for something battery related so it alots me enough time to also pull out my phone and record

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

again, just hardware it and set it up to run 24/7 or until your battery hits 12.5 or whatever.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

I don't wanna risk killing the battery with hardwiring it, some sort of capacitor battery that could last at least 10-15 min would be more than enough

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Blackvue PowerMagicPro is one such device that can be wired inline with any dashcam to keep recording until the battery drops to a certain threshold. So it will record until you decide there's a risk you won't be able to start the car again.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *