Does something like this exist for headlights?

I have a business need to drive without headlights on. I currently accomplish this on unlit streets by using some gen1 night vision goggles on a headmount. These can see in 940nm, which is very dim and nearly invisible to the human eye. Are there headlight bulbs made to emit 940nm so I don't have to hold a flashlight out the window while working?

CRIME Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>don't have to hold a flashlight out the window while working?
    Make a mount. You can probably have it printed and mailed to you if you don't already own and printer for some reason

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

It would be more convenient though if I could convert to ir bulbs in the headlights

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Do you never have any need to use the normal headlights? Seems like it would be much better to have the IR lights as a separate auxiliary unit so you still retain the ability to see and be seen with regular eyeballs if ever the need arises. Infrared light bars and pods are available from several manufacturers, just search.

2. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Some.more background. The goggle can see in low light without an infrared flashlight, but it's much more clear with an infrared light source. I almost crashed last night in a bad neighborhood and that's why I am looking into other options

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

What are you doing you need to drive lights off.
      >almost crashed in a bad neighborhood
      Ahh so Black person avoidance then.

3. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>Are there headlight bulbs made to emit 940nm so I don't have to hold a flashlight out the window while working?
    Yes, Mexican drug runners use NVGs with IR headlights.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Oh good, any idea what sort of place would carry them? It's okay if they are a bit expensive, this job let's me write off expenses for gear up to 5k

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Just Google "ir headlights" and there's instant results.

4. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>I have to drive around unlit streets at night without headlights on
    wtf is your job, anon?

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I don't want to talk about it since it's embarrassing. Nothing illegal though

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

if it involves driving around at night without lights on then it is illegal.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

No, it's absolutely not. I am contracting for a municipal government.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Why does that require you drive around at night with your lights off?

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Do you never have any need to use the normal headlights? Seems like it would be much better to have the IR lights as a separate auxiliary unit so you still retain the ability to see and be seen with regular eyeballs if ever the need arises. Infrared light bars and pods are available from several manufacturers, just search.

Fine, if you really have to know. I am a photographer and typically specialize in wildlife photography and do other freelance work on the side. A lot of work has been drying up lately because of covid/the economy so I decided to look into other ways to make money in photography. Answered a posting from a local government looking for a photographer. The job pays really well, time and expenses, including gas, covered and basically I am documenting the extent of public drug use and high risk behaviors (read: public sex) in the city's poorer district. Its part of a larger initiative to combat the spread of STDs and drug use among the homeless and poor. I drive around at night when these behaviors typically occur and grab photos when I find it, which unfortunately is all the time. At first, I was using my headlights (because no fricking way am I getting out of the car), but, as you would imagine, people engaged in public sex or drug use tend to flee when under lights, so I talked to my friend who hunts and borrowed his NVG and have been using similar tech on my camera to capture the images. Has been working well so far but its hard to balance the light and the camera while filming these. I am paid partly by number of incidents photographed, so more efficiency means more money for me.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>I am paid partly by number of incidents
            Just stage a shitload of fake photos then and get paid

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

No, my professional reputation is worth more to me than the extra money I could get by staging photos.

>literally gets paid to drive around at night filming homeless Black folk frick
            did the wildlife photography experience help with this?

As it turns out, quite a bit

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Ah, so we have to find a way to import homesexuals to your city so you can make bank.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

just tell me the city ill go suck a few dicks, it's easy money and i get to help a fellow anon on the way

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>literally gets paid to drive around at night filming homeless Black folk frick
            did the wildlife photography experience help with this?

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

That actually sounds like a pretty cool job, all jokes aside. I don't think you're gonna get replacement headlight bulbs, but those infrared auxiliary lights look like they'd do the trick.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>urban wild life photographer

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Basically running around Detroit filming SoundCloud rapper videos

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

This is basically night crawler but with drugs and hookers.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Do you comment the nigasex like some sort of sex Attenborough?

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

except for the tow truck assumption I was spot on. Agent of Zion begone.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

post proof?

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

here is the goggles I got from a friend, flashlight, and my contractor badge from the local gov (obviously heavily redacted). Can't post any of my actual pictures taken, since per the contract they are the sole property of the municipality. I think I will also get better night vision since I still have about half of my 5000$ budget for gear left. It really does pay well, one of the government employees pulled me aside after the interview and basically said its combat pay for how rough the job is.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Good luck and god speed, anon.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

DO you pack heat while out doing this? It sounds like just enough danger for it to be an interesting job. Must have some good stories to tell at parties.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

What a crock of shit. A druggie is going to be way more paranoid of a car rolling around in the middle of the night with no lights just posting up to watch people. I don't know what kind of illegal shit op is doing but this definitely ain't it.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

this
            OP is lying. probably a private investigator or some shit. maybe a poacher

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>Poacher
            That's actually one of the most reasonable explanations I can think of

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Redneck poacher here. There's very little chance of getting caught spotlighting deer and the equipment is the opposite of what op is asking for, hence the word spotlighting. We go out in a pickup drink beer and go to known deer crossings with a crossbow and a really bright spotlight like what cops use. Spot the deer, throw the light on, shoot deer, load up and get out of dodge. This is near valley forge where deer are protected.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>Not brick and knife hunting on a full moon
            Ngmi

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Then you aren't very smart

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Lot smarter than you are if you're out there using spotlights and guns

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>and guns
            Ya, it would be moronic to hunt this way, ergo why ypu are moronic to think this use case is for hunting and not photography

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

What are you even trying to say? Maybe your mom or your caretaker can help you explain yourself clearly?

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

OP said they are using it for photography. Absolute shitbrain zoomer that cant read

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Yeah good for you, unfortunately that's not what we were talking about. Do you want to try again? If you scroll up you can actually follow the conversation, or if you need help I can explain it to you.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

I don't "post up", I drive to vantage points, capture the photos of the high risk behavior if there is any, then leave. Doing all this without headlights and quickly means that people shooting up or fornicating rarely notice me until I already have the photos and am moving again.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

have you thought about getting a drone?

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

I do have a commercial sUAV(aka drone) pilots license for drone filming, but due to both the airspace classification of the area and local ordinance, I can't use it

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

do our tax dollars really pay for this kind of shit? what the frick. what city is this? you would make more money as a whistleblower exposing this fricking waste

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>whistleblower
            Just about every local gov in a blue area is like this, grabbing up miions of taxpayer dollars and federal/state grants for the absolute dumbest shit

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

I was thinking car repo.
          One of those tow trucks with the stinger controls in the cab. Can do a snatch and run in like 10 seconds.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I don't want to talk about it since it's embarrassing. Nothing illegal though

>wtf is your job, anon?

As BLM says, Snitches Get Stitches

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Copper theif.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Being gigachad

5. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

12V IR illuminator under the grille or some shit like that, no point in trying top convert your existing lights to IR whatever the frick as it will just be more expensive and complicated on top of making them unusable as regular headlights

6. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

quick google search for Inferred driving lights shows there are some fog lap and light bar styles, all LED

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Do you think these would be bright enough to cover a whole basketball field? Honestly a lot of this night vision stuff is new to me since I typically photographed during the day for other work

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

>enough to cover a whole basketball court

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Seems they are ok as driving lights for slow speed
        but 940 nm apparently does not show up very well on NV goggles (30% less ?)
        so to use that wave length would require a larger array such as a light bar or spotlight
        https://ultimatenightvision.com/ultimate-10-940nm-infrared-led-light-bar-dual-row-combo/#tab-tech-specs

?t=421

28 meter long by 15 meter basket ball field ?
        https://maxmax.com/light-sources/infrared-light-sources/professional-infrared-illuminators
        quickly going though numbers

IR940-25: 80 Meter 940nm 25 Degree Beam
        @ 28 meters = 12.4 meter spread of light
        @ 34 meters = 15.1 meter spread of light

LIR940-70: 45 Meter 940nm 70 Degree Beam
        @ 10.8 meters = 15.1 meter spread of light
        @ 28.0 meters = 39.2 meter spread of light

I assume the camera lens is about 300 to 350 mm equivalent ?
        at 400 mm the Field of view mite be getting too small to capture an entire person @ 28 meters distance

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I had a modified hmmwv with an IR spotlight when I was a grader for the army at NTC. Based on that experience where I was offloading at 40mph on dog shit terrain under nvgs, I recommend a settup like
      taking care to not have the beam reflect off of your hood otherwise you'll blind the shit out of yourself.
      If you plan on driving under nvg ensure you've one that fully casts on the ground in front of you then out and I recommend a second one on top for a different angle- maybe I'm just spastic because of the whole offroading I did, but your light will throw massive shadows (under nvg) while you're driving, the last thing you want is to not see some homeless guy laying in the street because of the ir shadow. It sounds like you're doing mostly vantage point stuff though, similar to what we'd call an observation post. In that case I'd look at specific hunting spot lights because they'll give you the best throw of light.

Best of luck nerd.

7. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

with a 22 degree light beam the width of coverage @ 38.5 meters is 15 meters
    @ 38.5 meters a 450 mm eqv lens covers a FOV of 3 meters wide (4.58 degrees) by 2 meters tall (3.06 degrees)
    I'd imagine you'd want to be far away from the cursed beings
    to make better use of the light output a narrower light beam is favourable

8. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>I have a business need to drive without headlights on. I currently accomplish this on unlit streets by using some gen1 night vision goggles on a headmount
    please tell me you're not a tow truck driver in service of Zion

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

See

[...]
      Fine, if you really have to know. I am a photographer and typically specialize in wildlife photography and do other freelance work on the side. A lot of work has been drying up lately because of covid/the economy so I decided to look into other ways to make money in photography. Answered a posting from a local government looking for a photographer. The job pays really well, time and expenses, including gas, covered and basically I am documenting the extent of public drug use and high risk behaviors (read: public sex) in the city's poorer district. Its part of a larger initiative to combat the spread of STDs and drug use among the homeless and poor. I drive around at night when these behaviors typically occur and grab photos when I find it, which unfortunately is all the time. At first, I was using my headlights (because no fricking way am I getting out of the car), but, as you would imagine, people engaged in public sex or drug use tend to flee when under lights, so I talked to my friend who hunts and borrowed his NVG and have been using similar tech on my camera to capture the images. Has been working well so far but its hard to balance the light and the camera while filming these. I am paid partly by number of incidents photographed, so more efficiency means more money for me.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

What are you doing you need to drive lights off.
      >almost crashed in a bad neighborhood
      Ahh so Black person avoidance then.

Does no one actually read the thread?

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

>YOU GOTTA HECKIN READ THE THREADERINO
        No. I post from the thread preview on the front page. Deal with it.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

man you are so hip and edgy, gosh I wish I could be more of an butthole like you

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Zoomers do not no, they're too moronic to read more than 150 characters or whatever Twitter allows and more baffling to me, too moronic to stick to Twitter since it's the perfect platform for them. Been trying to figure it out but I guess I'm too moronic. Or perhaps too functional to grasp the moronation. Can't figure that out either but I am moronic

9. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

https://nightvisionexperts.com/collections/infrared-floodlights/products/ultracovert-mid-range-led-infrared-floodlight-940nm-125-ft-range-30-beam
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F9LF7E
    something like this could be easily zip-tied to a grill and since it already runs on 12v you could just wire it straight to the car battery, just remember to keep your engine running or turn the lights off to keep from killing your battery
    or, just hide a small motorcycle battery under the hood

you wont find much in the way of traditional bulbs, aside from heatlamp bulbs that won't really help
    you pretty much have to have an array of IR LED's

10. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

just get something like this
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09BP56XK8/ref=aod_recommendations_asins_pageSource_mobile_fod_widget_title_1

My buddy wears this while driving at night becuase his car's headlights are shit

11. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Humvees run IR lights. Do you morons need everything spoon fed?

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

just get something like this
      https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09BP56XK8/ref=aod_recommendations_asins_pageSource_mobile_fod_widget_title_1

My buddy wears this while driving at night becuase his car's headlights are shit

https://nightvisionexperts.com/collections/infrared-floodlights/products/ultracovert-mid-range-led-infrared-floodlight-940nm-125-ft-range-30-beam
      or
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F9LF7E
      something like this could be easily zip-tied to a grill and since it already runs on 12v you could just wire it straight to the car battery, just remember to keep your engine running or turn the lights off to keep from killing your battery
      or, just hide a small motorcycle battery under the hood

you wont find much in the way of traditional bulbs, aside from heatlamp bulbs that won't really help
      you pretty much have to have an array of IR LED's

with a 22 degree light beam the width of coverage @ 38.5 meters is 15 meters
      @ 38.5 meters a 450 mm eqv lens covers a FOV of 3 meters wide (4.58 degrees) by 2 meters tall (3.06 degrees)
      I'd imagine you'd want to be far away from the cursed beings
      to make better use of the light output a narrower light beam is favourable

Seems they are ok as driving lights for slow speed
      but 940 nm apparently does not show up very well on NV goggles (30% less ?)
      so to use that wave length would require a larger array such as a light bar or spotlight
      https://ultimatenightvision.com/ultimate-10-940nm-infrared-led-light-bar-dual-row-combo/#tab-tech-specs

?t=421

28 meter long by 15 meter basket ball field ?
      https://maxmax.com/light-sources/infrared-light-sources/professional-infrared-illuminators
      quickly going though numbers

IR940-25: 80 Meter 940nm 25 Degree Beam
      @ 28 meters = 12.4 meter spread of light
      @ 34 meters = 15.1 meter spread of light

LIR940-70: 45 Meter 940nm 70 Degree Beam
      @ 10.8 meters = 15.1 meter spread of light
      @ 28.0 meters = 39.2 meter spread of light

I assume the camera lens is about 300 to 350 mm equivalent ?
      at 400 mm the Field of view mite be getting too small to capture an entire person @ 28 meters distance

Thx for the advice and spoonfeeding, anons. I think it makes more sense to have an aux bar than to replace Mt headlights bulbs

12. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

What do you drive and how is this getting funded? Taxpayer dollars?

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>how is this getting funded
      I am not super keen on the details of it, but, from what I can gather, they added the word "Equity" to the initiative name and are getting some federal grant funding from one of the current administration initiatives. So, basically taxpayers.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

More like some corrupt official wanted some voyeur shots too fap to.

13. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

This kit has headlight filters for night vision use.
    It's the round things on the left.
    PNV 57

When I bought mine, it was only like $60 for the whole kit. No telling what they are worth now.

14. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

are you a private investigator?

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>are you a private investigator?
      You should re-read the thread. He said he is a photographer hired by the city to document illegal activity at night.

15. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>I have a business need to drive without headlights on.
    homie what

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

anon is a black entrepreneur

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *