I have one of these sitting in my yard without an engine or transmission.

I have one of these sitting in my yard without an engine or transmission. I suppose I should do something to it before it disintegrates due to rust.

It's already been through a couple of engine swaps. So ITT we decide which engine I should swap into it next.

Obviously I'm not rich so it has to be affordable. Moreover, I'm a Europoor, so an LS is out of the question due to the high prices, but an older pushrod V8 might be doable.

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

om606 with a 603 mechanical fuel pump, 3 wires to run.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

the only proper answer ITT

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Only acceptable answer and likely the cheapest /fastest option as well

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Which yuro country specifically, how lax are your swap laws?
    Easy and cheap obviously is the previously mentioned OM606, a bit more exotic would be a heretical BMW swap, if you can do electronics then an M60B40 from an E32 or early E38 740i is pretty feasible.
    You could probably steal the whole harness from a junker for under a grand with the engine, would probably have to source a manual transmission from another BMW as the 7 series V8 were like 90% automatics and you don't want that shitty 5hp they mated to the M60.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

In this case I think the maximum power that the swapped engine can have is around 190 kW (stock). So swapping an engine with more power than that in stock form might be problematic. There shouldn't be any limit on displacement.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>190kw
        That’s exactly what the M254 makes in the new C300

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Do you have to dyno it?
        The M60B40 makes about 280hp, around 210kw, the M60B30 makes 160kw or about 220hp.
        Can you just go "yeah bro it's a 3 litre totally" and sneak a B40 through, or do you need to show proofs? Externally the 2 are identical.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I'm not sure if it needs to be dynoed. I guess it would be possible to first do a 3 litre swap and get the paperwork done for that, then replace it with a 4 litre.

The only problem I see with a BMW V8 is that it's DOHC and thus massive in dimensions. I don't know if it'll fit in the engine bay without problems.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It will fit, talking from experience.
            What we did here was just tell the inspectors "Yeah man it's the 3 litre B30 totally trust me bro" and gave him some bullshit dynoslip that had circulated through multiple cars claiming it was barely making 200hp

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Good to know. What about M62B35? I could swap one legally and it's a bit more powerful than the 3 litre.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Don't bother, if you're interested then I can go on a short autistic rant why the M62 is terrible, but bottom line is M60 is all around better for tuning and swaps

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Sure, go ahead. I know next to nothing about BMW V8s. Only had M30s and M50s before.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

So the M60 has a dual row timing chain and secondary cam chains with a "dead wheel" sprocket above the crankshaft to bend the timing chain downwards and drive it through the valley between the banks, the latter M62 engine ditches both the wide chain and the sprocket for a thinner single row chain and a plastic U shaped piece the chain drags along.
            The plastic piece should be lubricated, but they tend to become brittle and eventually wear through or crack due to age, bad oils and skipped maintenance. The M60 doesn't suffer from such bullshit due to being generally more robust in design.
            On the plus side the M62 has VANOS, on the downside it has VANOS.

The M60 also had a larger intake and MAF, allowing for more air to flow through, M62 owners actually steal these off M60s and put them in their cars for more power.
            Realistically the 4.4 M62 barely makes more power than the 4 litre M60, you wouldn't really notice it aside for maybe slightly more torque on the down low due to VANOS.

That being said if you could grab a decent M30B35, I'd throw that boat anchor in the Benz just for the seethe factor.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Thanks. Actually, I was considering throwing in a M30B35 just for the lulz. I guess the biggest problem with those is that rocker arms tend to snap when revved high enough. The Merc M103 does not have such problems.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>rocker arms tend to snap when revved high enough
            Only if the oil spray bar is blocked, otherwise they're bulletproof engines.
            Love me an M30

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

D1105

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Honda K swap for maximum lulz
    it's probably much harder than a normal swap

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>euro
    Just sell it off or junk it

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

why would he sell a car that will only gain value?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

He mentions rust. Selling before one turns to shit is often wise and it's been swapped before. Not every vehicle is wisely saved and knowing what not to save permits focus on better deals.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>So ITT we decide which engine I should swap into it next.
    No contest.
    ECOBOOST 3.5L
    You will OWN the streets.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I don't know what they cost in burgerland, but here they cost an arm, leg and your firstborn. I could get an LS2 cheaper.

190E or190D? M104 if E, OM606 if D.

It's 190E, originally 2.6. Was considering M104, but can't find any for sale. For some reason there are still plenty of OM606's for sale though.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>but here they cost an arm, leg and your firstborn. I could get an LS2 cheaper.
        Ahhh, sorry to hear that anon.
        What about going with something more exotic?
        Are Audi or Volvo inline-5's reasonably priced there?
        A Big turbo I-5 with manual could be fun!

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Volvo I5s are a dime a dozen, but I'm not really fond of 5 cylinder engines.I'd prefer 4, 6 or 8 cylinders.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Although I might add that I'd probably rather not swap a 4 cylinder either into this car.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

190E or190D? M104 if E, OM606 if D.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

om648

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *