Should I take stick shift lessons? Someone's offering a 4 hour class for $250 near me.

Should I take stick shift lessons? Someone's offering a 4 hour class for $250 near me.

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No way. You're not a man if you do kek.
    Just buy the car you want and learn on it.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Are you moronic? I'm not gonna buy a car without even test driving it.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Go for a ride with the seller then

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

What's the point though? I'm not buying the car to sit in the passenger seat.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

To listen to the engine and make judgements about how it drives? Are you moronic?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You also want to get a feel for the car, man. The feel is what's the most important.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

see if there's an automatic version you can take for a spin. You won't know shit about how the gearing is in a manual but you'll at least get the feel for the suspension tuning

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Well it's just a Forester so I know how the automatic feels. Maybe I just get it and hope I don't die on the way home.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

My Forester is super easy to drive. Just dont upshift too early. Keep it in lower gears cause downshifting is the hard part and Subarus like to rev

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Go for a ride with the seller then

This is what I did. I bought a 4th gen F body without knowing how to drive stick. Rode with the seller than struggled my way home and taught myself on the way. Getting into first is the only hard part

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Getting into first is the only hard part
          Some transmissions have a hard time getting into first unless you're stationary

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

yeah is that the lack of synchro for first or whats up with that

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Getting into first is the only hard part
            Some transmissions have a hard time getting into first unless you're stationary

Skill issues mostly

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

yeah thanks for the helpful answer frickwit

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If you cant shift into 1st, you're the frickwit. Its as simple as knowing the gear ratios and tire size and matching the engine speed to (wheel speed * final drive * 1st gear ratio)

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

nta but im a slow learner

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah, don't do this unless you want to ruin your gears. Find somebody who can teach you how the clutch works and go from there. I had difficulty getting used to it but mostly because I didn't understand it. Now I can't go back. Never driven automatic.

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Mo that's a ripoff. Just watch some youtube videos and learn on the car you bought. Drive it at night around your block or in an empty parking lot. If you're nervous get someone to drive it home first

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>paying someone to learn something as easy as driving a manual

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

its basicly what driving classes are, everyone know the traffic rules, implementing them in a practical manner while drivng a manual = you are now a certified driver. and thats what driving school does.
      >i got my license in an auto/ev
      rope yourself or pay to become a real driver.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

This is India. A country with an average IQ of 85. The road conditions are terrible. 90% of these cars are manual.
    If they can do it, you can too.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Most indians are terrible drivers and even if they manage not to crash they dont normally get 100,000 miles out of tuktuks or cars without major repairs. Also the average indian drives so slow that the buses have to thread traffic

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Are there rental places that have stick shift cars?

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That's moronic. The only hard part is building up the muscle memory for the clutch and nobody can teach you that. Sounds like they're gonna charge you $250 to say "okay, slowly let out the clutch and give it some gas" and watch you kill it over and over until you get a feel for it. Alternatively you can just do this alone for free with the same results.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

But you get to do that to someone else's car, and when you get your own you're semi proficient and confident

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Don't quote me on this, but I highly doubt it's possible for a beginner to cause serious damage to clutch/transmission if he's actively improving.
        It's the repeated bad habits over tens of thousands of miles that are the issue.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

if I can consistently charge people $250 for 4 hours of my time yeah I dont mind getting a clutch job a little sooner than I normally would

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I've considered doing the same thing for a similar price in my area.

>for free
      No, you need a car with manual transmission.
      I would think of the fee as paying to rent a car for ~4 hours.

>$100+/hr to learn to drive a manual

No way, gay. Despite what the manualgay brainlets have you believe, driving manual is not hard especially if you already have an understanding of basic driving with an automatic. There's 5min videos on YT that can get you going. If you don't have a manual car to learn on, then just borrow a friends car. I'm sure they can give you some pointers, too.

>having friends

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>not having friends
        Skill issue. Learn to mask your autism better and you can have all the friends you want

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

do Americans really?

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Lol
    Lmao even
    Ameriburgers open their wallets to learn what a 12 year old Romanian boy teaches himself

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You sound gay

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Can someone explain what the appeal is to driving manual?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

people on DA approve of it

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Cheaper used cars

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

not anymore. there is a price premium for manuals now.

Can someone explain what the appeal is to driving manual?

some people just like it. some people do it because they want to be le ebin unique manual driver. it is certainly more engaging.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I could see if maybe it was just stick only, but having to use the clutch seems annoying.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It's not, it gives your other foot something to do and after a month it's all muscle memory and you don't even think about it

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Semi-auto troonys are like that, no clutch just stick

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They like to pretend they are a professional driver on one last heist.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

it's fun

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

how the frick is it fun? Imagine playing a video game and you need to reach over to your PC to push a button every few minutes. Would that be fun too?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

more like imagine playing a video game. Driving auto is like letting the game play itself

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>zoomer can't possibly conceive of a fun experience outside of his little video games
          Maybe stick to riding the bus, gay

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Im just giving an example of having to do some arbitrary extra movement to do something when the alternative is to not have to at all.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Using the clutch IS driving.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I could see if maybe it was just stick only, but having to use the clutch seems annoying.

Having the clutch is half the enjoyment. Dialing in downshifts and rev matching is fun. Also manuals are a lot cheaper and easier to fix yourself if/when they break. Rebuilds are way easier and cheaper than autos. Autos suck to work on.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Autos suck to work on.
        Agreed, but rebuild kits for old proven autos like Honda's 5-speeds are cheap as chips. If you or someone you know has the tools (press, circlip removers, shims, etc) you very well can rebuild an auto.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yeah, it's not that they're impossible to rebuild, just generally a big pain in the ass. They have that many more little pieces to misorder/misplace, so you have to be extra attentive and have a good workspace. Also, you can't really function check it until it's back in the car.
          It's usually pretty hard to frick up a manual rebuild, and you can check that all the gears work and nothing binds while it's still on the bench. I've done a few autos and it's never a fun afternoon, but I can tear through a manual in a couple hours.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you actually control your car

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>manualgays have control issues

lel

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Can someone explain to me what the appeal of an automatic is? Do people dislike driving that much that they only want to do it when the car does all the work?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Can someone explain to me what the appeal of an automatic is?
        Mental disengagement, you don't have to think or worry about what you're doing so much. They're also handy for people with co-ordination issues and those who are just plain ham-fisted.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Most americans don't really enjoy driving

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

americans like to be different
      you wouldn't see yurobros jerking off over manual cabbies

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i would like all cars to be manual just so there are fewer shit drivers being babied in by automatics

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Manuals don't prevent shit drivers. Your imagining it would is moronic.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Your
          LMFAO

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

it's fun

said, its fun. i also like knowing how my stuff works, im not sure about automatics but i know how manuals work. also feels good teaching someone who wants to know how to drive standard.

https://i.imgur.com/mOWolyx.jpeg

[...]
      Having the clutch is half the enjoyment. Dialing in downshifts and rev matching is fun. Also manuals are a lot cheaper and easier to fix yourself if/when they break. Rebuilds are way easier and cheaper than autos. Autos suck to work on.

m20? ive been eyeing a couple m22s on marketplace just for the gear whine.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

M20, yeah. '71 Cutlass. They're great transmissions. Super notchy and can take a beating, super easy to mod for power and service. The M22's sound sick.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Easy to work on, efficient and doesn't suck the soul out of anything sub 6 cylinders

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

More reliable and sometimes better fuel efficiency.

not anymore. there is a price premium for manuals now.
      [...]
      some people just like it. some people do it because they want to be le ebin unique manual driver. it is certainly more engaging.

The cheapest cars still have manual gearbox.

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Lmao I learned how to drive a manual when I was 8 and I'm half moronic. You should be able to learn how to drive stick in 10 minutes after watching a YouTube video.

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>paying someone to learn one of the most useless skills
    Go learn a language or something jfc. Even learning to bake a bread would be a better use of time than manual shifting

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you cant learn a language in an afternoon. learning manual is something achievable and easy to do in a day, its like scuba diving or CPR. doesn't take a lot of effort and you never know when you'll need it.

if you cant drive manual you should fix that.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>you never know when you'll need it.
        I live in a first world country. You do make a good point though, I think I'll consider scuba diving

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Kek 17 year old fiat 500 tarts and 80 year old abuelitas can drive manual and shartman fatso cant

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>$100+/hr to learn to drive a manual

No way, gay. Despite what the manualgay brainlets have you believe, driving manual is not hard especially if you already have an understanding of basic driving with an automatic. There's 5min videos on YT that can get you going. If you don't have a manual car to learn on, then just borrow a friends car. I'm sure they can give you some pointers, too.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

people who don't know how to drive stick aren't going to have a manual car, for obvious reasons
      >just ask a friend
      yeah maybe easier said than done. imposing on your friends to use their vehicles for you to learn won't always go over. your best hope is that somebody offers to teach you.

so yeah, I guess for some people with a lot of free time and a lot of free money its not the worst idea to fork over what is kind of an obscene sum of money but probably about what this sort of one-on-one lesson is worth.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Why are you so terrified of asking a friend for a simple favor?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>hey bro can I just borrow the most valuable thing you own aside from your home so I can...umm...learn how to do this thing like im a brand new driver? btw its unlikely I'll actually damage. unlikely.

not only no, but frick no. and frick you for asking.

that's how that goes. being friends with somebody does not entitle them to abuse your shit.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Bro, if you're really that much of a frickup that you can't trust yourself to not cause property damage, perhaps you should just give up on manuals and perhaps driving entirely. It's like you don't even know what a brake pedal is and can't find an empty stretch of road or lot to figure out what it does. For the safety of those in your vicinity, you should hold on to that bus pass a little longer until you're less of a disaster of a human being.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>people who don't know how to drive stick aren't going to have a manual car, for obvious reasons

Again, it's not hard. Watch a video on YT and you'll have the hang of it in an hour if you're not moronic.

And you really have to reconsider who your friends are if they are really willing to let blow hundreds of dollars on somebody else for driving lessons. They'd at least give you a better deal if they insist on compensation from you.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Who is moronic enough to loan their car to a friend who doesn't already know how to drive it properly? Not many people have an old manual shitbox laying around for their friends to play with for free. 95% of american cars are automatic, and 4% are expensive cars that we don't want fricked up, and even if i have multiple manual shitboxes laying around, you have to buy them, and transfer the paperwork before I give you a lesson. If you frick it up, you have to have it dragged away. Not my problem

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Unless your friend is extraordinarily moronic, your transmission might see a grind or two and a bit of extra clutch slipping. Thats not enough to frick anything up unless you have a glass transmission or they're gorilla fisting the shifter.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

So they should have no problem buying the shitbox. Though the picture above is at the 100 acre shitbox ranch, so if you're an absolute gorilla moron, you could just abandon it if it breaks, but otherwise you have a decent little car for $1500

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Who is moronic enough to loan their car to a friend who doesn't already know how to drive it properly?

So how did YOU learn to drive manual? Did you actually pay a stranger hundreds of dollars to borrow their car for a few hours?

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

the dealership i got my car at offered to teach me how to drive stick if i wanted the stick version of my car. youre stupid if you pay for lessons

16. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just buy a shit moped and learn with it

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You don't need a lesson. Just work it out by the feel. You control the engine with the throttle, and feed power to the gears with the clutch.
    You go this.

18. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

An afternoon in a parking lot is all you need. If you can get going and get to second then you'll be good in just about every situation.

19. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You absolutely don't need lessons.
    Think about it logically. You power the engine with the gas, and take power from it with the clutch. Take a day practising in a parking lot like others have suggested and you'll master it.
    Remember, in the 20th century everyone drove manual. Your grandmother drove manual.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Actually, automatic cars were readily available and marketed to women back in the 50s. One of my grandmas never drove manuals. The other one did so very badly till grandpa got her an automatic. My dad was also terrible at manual and gave up and bought an automatic after grinding gears for a few minutes. Also, Apperently there were wierd semi automatic transmissions in the 30s, and EVs were popular in the 20s. Horses were self driving, and many drunks passed out stumbling out of the bar, only for their horse to bring them home safely and put them in bed.

20. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Is learning stick shift a muscle memory you retain for life?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You light forget if you take 5 lessons and then never use ot for years, but

https://i.imgur.com/aTo34uU.jpeg

This is India. A country with an average IQ of 85. The road conditions are terrible. 90% of these cars are manual.
      If they can do it, you can too.

is right, it's a basic skill billions of people use daily.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah it is. The skill you learn is using your left foot to ease in the clutch gently and match it with the gas, and once you learn you never forget.

21. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

sounds a bit much, how much does renting a manual car for a day cost?

22. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I can’t find any empty parking lots to learn manual in. There’s either cops, cars, or other drivers practicing

23. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

you wont learn it in 4 hours
    you will know how in theory it works
    every car has a different feel to their clutch

24. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

if youre in swfl ill teach you for free

25. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just have your dad teach you, like everyone else.

26. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Today I went to a dealership and test drove a manual. Told the seller the last time I drove a manual was in HS but I've actually never had. Managed to back it out, get it into first, drive it around back street of the dealer and back and just stalled it once which was when coming to a stop at the dealership.

You'll do fine anon. Just watch some videos.

27. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just watch some YouTube vids and train yourself. Most classes are rackets.

28. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you know the basics of how a manual trans works then you pretty much know how to drive it. The challenge I had was teaching people who didn't understand mechanics at all and didn't know how or why to shift and what the function of the clutch was.

29. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>paying to learn the autism stick

Just watch youtube moron

30. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you already purchased your manual vehicle I apologize but I'd stay with automatic cars. They're easier to drive fix & they typically look better. Check out the Acura Integra for example. As for lessons I'd take one that teaches you how to drive aggressively like knowing how to power slide around a corner. Automatics are safer as well!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *