so why dont people like sedans anymore?

so why dont people like sedans anymore? they were the reigning body style for 80+ years and now suddenly nobody wants them?

Not even just sedans, but basically all non truck cars. Wagons, convertibles, coupes all have become undesireables

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Status Symbol
    Rides High
    Muh "Safety"

In that order

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

normies would rather get tipped over and feel their heads slam against the concrete than be in any other sort of crash

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

seek mental health counseling.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ive been blessed to drive hundreds of different cars over the course of my life. some ive owned, most i havent. my current DD is a mustang, but I couldn’t own a mustang if i didnt already have an SUV

getting in and out of a SUV is much easier than a sedan
    a SUV will likely have more trunk space, and with seats folded down can fit lots of cargo
    a SUV has roof rails for transporting kayaks or extra luggage or a christmas tree or whatever
    a SUV has ground clearance and/or AWD which offers better performance on bumpy roads/trails/snow
    a SUV sells someone the look of appearing sporty/outdoorsy/utilitarian
    a SUV has longer suspension travel, which increases ride quality
    trucks are particularly built to last, with durable BOF construction and upgraded driveline components, while sedans are often built to be disposable

as for sedans,
    sedans handle better in turns
    sedans are (usually) faster
    sedans get better fuel economy
    sedans cost less

for most people, the benefits of a sedan pale in comparison to the benefits of a truck or SUV. yes, you can slap snow tires on a FWD sedan and it will do better than an AWD SUV. yes, a full size sedan probably has better trunk space than a Ford Ecosport. Most normies don’t care.

because credit and gas used to be historically cheap, there was a much larger incentive to finance a Ford Edge at 60 months for 2% APR, instead of a Ford Fusion for 48 months at 2% APR, because the price difference would not be as significant

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>sedans cost less
      not with CAFE regs. The EPA has very different MPG targets for sedans vs SUVs. So the sedan normally gets hit with a fee/tax/fine for not meeting CAFE regs that are bumping up against laws of thermodynamics.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

That's just asinine, what are lawmakers smoking?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

It’s intentional. Lawmakers pass laws that are written by lobbyists. So they pass laws that benefit GM at the expense of Toyota.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

most of the shit in the SUV list was present in sedans before CAFE regs and increasingly restrictive safety standards penalised anything smaller than that which fell under the "light truck" category.

I feel Sports Utility Vehicle is an odd name for a vehicle that isn't sporty or very useful. Their offroad capabilities are next to nonexistent compared to any actual offroader and their load bearing loses out to just about anything. I'd throw SUVs in the trash out with Sedans.

it's gotten to the point that there was an anon that made a thread within the past few weeks asking about a good "sports SUV"

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Sedans were never practical, the shape was only a sign of status symbol which suvs have taken over. At least wagons or hatchbacks have, well, bigger hatches, sedans don't deserve to exist.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I feel Sports Utility Vehicle is an odd name for a vehicle that isn't sporty or very useful. Their offroad capabilities are next to nonexistent compared to any actual offroader and their load bearing loses out to just about anything. I'd throw SUVs in the trash out with Sedans.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I don't disagree with you, but it is what it is in terms of consoomer taste for now

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It made sense when the term first became common in the late '80s and early '90s. Back then nearly every SUV was a 4WD body on frame vehicle and even the luxury ones like the Ranger Rover had utility roots. It's really only in the last 15 years or so that they've all turned into overgrown unibody AWD cars.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

That's why we call those "crossovers" instead.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

We do, but manufacturers and the mainstream automotive media insist on calling them SUVs. It's just getting worse too, now they're just making normal midsize hatchbacks and wagons and calling them "SUVs," like the Ioniq 5 and stuff.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

So it's not only
            >fake windows
            but
            >fake names
            too, I guess

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Wagons...have become undesireables
    OP, I think you may be blind.

And no, nobody would ever call picrel a truck.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>fake wheelwells
      >fake vents
      >fake windows
      >fake car
      >fake life

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous
      • 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>fake windows
        Where homosexual?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous
          • 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>The part of the glass covering the D pillar
            >"it's fake" despite clearly being able to see through the glass.
            have a nice day israelite

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous
          • 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Again, you're not proving your point if both you and I can see though the glass. It's clearly not fake.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

the front vents are real though. The rears are fake

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Driving a sedan is the car version of being a manlet. You're on the road, getting mogged 24/7 by everyone. Who wants to live like that? Sedan also screams "poorgay commuter car". It gives girls the ick. If you're a poorgay and you drive an econobox, at least let your balls swing a little and get yourself a hatch. Take up some space, have a strong shape, be an alpha.

But a sedan? Lol. Lmao. Wouldn't be caught dead riding one of them.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Americans have been polarized since the Trump administration and it was brewing since 2014. Americans are also largely stupid. Because of their fears and idiocy they get the biggest SUV they can afford. Size = Power, and they don't want to be less powerful than "them" (whoever the driver chooses to be "them), By far the most contrarian and paranoid are pickup drivers, but especially dodge ram drivers.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

DOUBLE
      DUBBS!

ccccchhhhhheeeeeeccccccckkkkkk'd

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Who cares what other people like or do? You sound like a vaxxie.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Whenever other people's actions affect my life of course it makes me interested. If 10 people owned homes on a lake and one dumbass was pumping it full of waste oil, they'd get flogged by the other 9

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The headlight height difference is the only real trade-off I have seen. But get a new Prius with bright ass led brights and it's almost no longer an issue. I blind back a ton of eye-level brights-on SUV homosexuals at night. Almost all submit now compared to the halogen Hyundai prior. Beyond that I don't see the reduced agility/maneuverability, worse fuel economy and female-exclusive perception are worthy trade-offs of driving a RAV4 or similar SUV thing.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Apparently everyone needs a lot of space, like as they have 5 children.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

How's that "being packed into a tight space" fetish is called?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I think it's called "your mum vegana".

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

This is 18+ website and you're clearly not old enough.

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>so why dont people like sedans anymore?
    Sedans made sense when they were land yachts and had mafia sized trunks. Now that packaging is more optimized and far more compact, the optimal shape is aerodynamic egg hatch.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Sedans made sense when they were land yachts and had mafia sized trunks
      Yep, they were aspirational when you had families and businessmen riding around in 20 foot long sedans with imposing profiles. Sedans either became compact econocars, sporty (stiff, hard riding) mid-level sedans, and full size sedans moved way upmarket to the ultra high-end crowd. Today's meta is now large SUVs and trucks not just since they have more cushioned suspensions, but they also have the imposing looks that people always desired.
      I'm convinced that a RR Phantom sized Lincoln or Cadillac priced around and under $100k would be a top seller, because Rolls-like size (if not larger) and comfort was one thing that your average mass market land yacht had in droves.

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I drive a small hatchback, I have no need for anything else. litertally everything I won could fit in the back of that hatchback with the exception of my mattress and computer chair. I see no need to pay for stuff I'll never use.

>but bro your f....

Don't have one/any, I also don't give ride to people as I'm not a fricking uber. Although the new Colorado ZR2 is pretty fricking nice but I'm not going to spend 60k for a fricking 4 cylinder.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

What about your washer and dryer?!?!??!?!
      OMG WHAT ABOUT YOU 10 SUITCASES OF LUGGAGE?!?!?!?
      WHAT ABOUT YOUR WASHING MACHINE????
      HOW OMG OMG OMG
      ARGUE WITH ME

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I live in a 5XX sqft studio apartment. I own no
        appliances. I have 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of shorts, 1 hoodie and a few tshirts, 2 pairs of shoes. I don't own any collectable shit except some candles. I eat everything off paper plates and have a few Tupperware/meal prep containers when I don't feel like using a paperplate. The 2 most important things in my apartment are my PC (SFF) and my road bike (which would go ontop).

>Why don't yo....

Because I don't like having shit. The more shit you have the more you have to clean, the more you have to look at it and the more you have to move. I also don't do sentimental shit or sell/donate anything, when I'm done/tired of something it goes into the trash regardless of what it is.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

WHAT THE FRICKING FRICK
          YOU NEED MORE
          WHAT ABOUT THINGS YOU NEED TO CARRY LOTS OF THINGS ALL THE TIME IT'S IMPORTANT. HATCHBACKS ARE USELESS

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

What did you win, anon?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I meant own

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

obama era cafe regulation updates too

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Its literally cost. If sedans were still cheaper than trucks with equal costs, people would be buying them. Instead, emissions and safety have made the average sedan 40k, vs 40k for a crew cab shortbed 4wd full size. Price makes things compete which shouldn't be competing. Its the same reason why everyone hates on stuff like the gr86. Absolutely nobody would be complaining if the car costed 22k brand new. But 37k brand new when you can buy a v8 muscle car for 39k? It now becomes a pointless waste of resources.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *