Toytoa Hybrids

>Horse power: 223
>0 - 60: 6.8s
>Top Speed: 109mph

What is the fricking point in all that power when you have the top speed of my dads 90 HP Citroen?

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The original had half the horsepower and a top speed of 99 and did 0-60 in over twelve seconds.
    If you had to pick between improving the top speed by 10ish mph or doubling acceleration which would you choose? It's pretty obvious.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

the original also had better mpg so you have to question what is even the point of this car anymore?

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>hybrid
    >caring about top speed
    moron. Where are you going to use it? You're not going to track the thing or drag race it. That's a car built for fuel economy and safety not enjoyment. Fricking dullard

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

People enjoy having money, PHEV and the superior range extender PHEVs like the based Volt provide great levels of financial enjoyment.
      You have to be High IQ to understand this.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Begone shill
        PHEVs are a scam

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>109
    It's 115 on these.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Why it's got such a small dashboard?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Real answer? It and the bz4x were designed around having a yoke steering wheel, but when it failed to get regulatory approval it was too late to correct it.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

well, that explains why the top of the steering wheel entirely blocks the gauge cluster, I did wonder how Toyota managed to frick that up so bad

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Only if you're a 5'4" manlet.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'd expect a Japanese brand to at least consider that possibility.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

HUDs aren't cheap

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It's 112mph/180km/h. Just like other speed limited econoboxes.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That "dashboard" looks likes its in the perfect position for the afternoon sun to hit it and become unusable
      I thought Japs were smarter than this...

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Most countries don't have an autobahn Hans. I would highly advise against getting a Toyota hybrid regardless, they cheap out on production costs so hard the things fall apart and don't last. Get a gas only engine and you can still take them above 150k. A hybrid will be fricked beyond safe use by 100k.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Also you will never offset the cost saved by the hybrid system, by the time you save the few extra thousand you spend initially, it's time to replace the batteries and that costs thousands. So the money you saved just gets thrown right back away unless you're going to sell it and take on a new car payment, in which case you're still losing money.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

> it's time to replace the batteries
        NiMH are usually good for a couple of hundred thousands
        >that costs thousands
        Yeah, a couple. How much gas can you buy for a thousand, by the way?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Toyota even has a 10 year / 200k+ mile warranty for the hybrid battery in many countries. If the rest of the car has been serviced at a Toyota service center, that is. Guess they expect it to last.
          And I think it was possible to replace the cells with third party parts in at least the older Prius.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, in some cases even beyond 10 years. But in my country it's required to do regular check-ups of the battery to participate in the program, and those check-ups are not free. I watched the battery myself for some time after I bought the car second hand, then decided to opt out.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Toyota even has a 10 year / 200k+ mile warranty
            It's a 150k mile warranty lying fanboy.
            The warranty also isn't valid unless you buy the extended Toyotacare service subscription and take it in every 20k miles to get the battery inspected. I believe you have to specifically mention that and negotiate to have it included in your Toyotacare package or it won't be checked for. Otherwise you have to bring it in to a Toyota service center on your own every 20k miles and pay their general service fee to have it specifically inspected, usually running you around $200. So you're paying $200 at the lowest every 20k miles to actually have that "warranty" be valid. Read the fine print moron. It's a scam so they can advertise confidence to those interested in buying a hybrid.

They will also look for any reason to deny fulfilling the warranty.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Getting any customer service from my local Toyota dealership service center requires twisting arms and they usually leave you hanging. I buy Toyotas for my lot and some models require OEM headlights or they'll burn out extremely quickly then I have an angry customer on my lot saying I sold him a car with dead headlights. I've gotten bad headlights from them and took them in for warranty replacement. Even getting them to replace a $30 headlight that never worked when plugged in was a fricking joke. You think they're actually going to replace your $5000 battery? Lmao, they're a business.

Only reason I know about the fine print of their battery warranty, I had a Prius with a bad battery that my buying guy didn't fricking check. Took it in because it was only at 86k miles, and that's what they told me. It was $200 just to even look at the battery which I didn't pay because they told me unless I had proof the battery was checked every 20k miles at a certified Toyota service center, they couldn't honor the warranty. They checked the VIN and no record of service, so I was on my own to sell it as-is. If you buy a Toyota do not expect any of these fake warranties to be honored.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I don't see how hard it is to let a toyota tech inspect a toyota every 20k miles. Most people take their cars to certifird techs furing the warranty period unless they are not very bright.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They need to document that they checked the battery which is not part of the normal things they check for when you take it in for its every 5k oil change. Toyotacare ends at 2 years or 25,000 miles. Do you see the fricking fallacy here? Your battery isn't even getting checked in the first 20,000 miles unless you ask and that's covered under standard toyotacare, and after that you either have to get extended care or pay $200 per 20k miles. It's literally not an actual warranty unless you jump through hoops and pay out the ass to do it. When was the last time you paid $200 on routine maintenance? That's like half a suspension replacement every 20k miles just to keep your warranty valid. It's a scam, accept facts. The brand you fanboi for fricking sucks.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>When was the last time you paid $200 on routine maintenance?
            There are German car oil changes that cost this much. You're a melanin enriched drama queen.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>in many countries
            >lying fanboy
            Dunno about scamerica, but around here they bill about 50 € for the hybrid system check if done separately. There's no "Toyotacare"; the car just comes with warranty by default, and they'll extend it (for certain powertrain parts like the engine and the hybrid system) by a year up to 10 years when it's serviced at a Toyota-badged service center. The hybrid battery's warranty lasts up to 350k km, or about 217k miles.
            People generally take their cars to decent service centers anyway because the annual inspections are no joke, and the car will stop being road legal pretty fast if it deviates from the specs it was approved with.
            The manufacturers' responsibility does not end when the warranty ends, either. There is precedent here for the car's maker having to pay for e.g. DSG automatic gearbox repairs well past the warranty period because a gearbox can be reasonably expected to last the lifespan of the car in normal use. If the seller neglected to inform the user that a core component like that may need replacement, the product has betrayed reasonable expectations of quality and the seller is responsible, even if they only offered a 1-year warranty for it.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>you'll never offset the cost
        Has nothing to do with that realistically. If you look at a car as a necessity and as a fixed cost relative to your income, hybrids are a good choice for people who see a car for what it really is: just a travel appliance.
        If i spend 35k on a new prius or a used beamer I save money with the prius and get the same utility.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

his point is that if your choices are:
          a.) $35,000 prius
          b.) $28,400 camry
          That it will require you to drive way too long to break-even, and that before you hit this break-even point you will have sold either car, thus the prius actually costs more to run.

• 2 weeks ago
            Donkey

Also the breakeven point moves to 9.6 years when you factor in the additional $1,000 to have Toyota maintain the warranty on the battery ($200 per check with 5 checks after 8.3 years).

Thanks fellas, this has been an informative thread. I was interested in the latest Prius because I think it looks quite nice but if it takes a decade to break even, then I don't see the value even though I do tend to keep vehicles long-term.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I just grabbed a couple random cars, but I’ve noticed a similar pattern where the market prices low-MPG cars low enough where the operating cost differences are basically meaningless vs a modern, high-mpg car because the low-mpg car is so much cheaper.
            Also, driving habits can significantly lower mpg of high efficiency cars (I get the same mpg in my rx8 vs a kei car because I drive like an butthole).

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

So get a corolla?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

the camry is hybrid only now, so there's no breakeven point

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I would highly advise against getting a Toyota hybrid regardless, they cheap out on production costs so hard the things fall apart and don't last.
      How do people even come up with shit like this

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

A Prius is designed to be the cheapest possible hybrid to cut the cost down to an affordable level for poors. It's one of the shittiest hybrids you can get and yes they have a plethora of issues and common breakages. If you want something better bump up to the Corolla or Camry hybrids. Why do you think the Prius exists? It's below those options and cheaper, below a fricking Corolla lmao.

I've driven some Priuses and they don't feel safe driving around 70mph let alone 109. They don't feel stable and if you have ti make any evasive maneuver that thing is losing control, specifically it'll go ass forward sending you sideways or entering into a tailspin because the weight is situated in the back where the battery is. They are not solid in the slightest, feels like driving a golf cart with a shell at high speeds...

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>check toyota website
          >prius is well above corolla in price, competes with camry
          uhhh

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If that's the case now there's no reason to buy the gay Prius, just get the Camry hybrid. They're trying to turn it into a cool legacy vehicle but it's still the same POS underneath it's troony shell.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Camry hybrid is even more sheckels, and looks like a middle-aged black woman's car.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

My fiance really likes the new prius. I thought it would be a cheap, reliable family car. What Mazda do I buy?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>check the weight distribution
          >it's 60/40 f/r
          >check battery weight
          >it's less than your mom
          uhhh

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It's the first thing you feel when driving a normal car vs a hybrid is there's a bit more weight in the back. For whatever reason a Prius I was driving at not even 60mph and had to to a quick lane change, nearly fricking tailspun. The vehicle almost completely lost control and turned sideways. They don't feel safe on the highway above around 70 either. It's just flimsy, extreme wind noise and general engine noise get through to the cabin, and the sway bars aren't strong so it feels unstable. These are my observations with the Priuses I've had to transport and sell. They're shitboxes and they're meant to be, this is not a luxury car and I'm surprised so many gays are actually jumping to defend fricking shitty Priuses.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I remember you. When you write this bullshit, you conveniently forget to mention that the suspension in that particular car was shot.

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

nobody, and I mean NOBODY, buys a prius to go fast. this thread is just moronic

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I bought a Prius specifically over a Corolla because it was quicker.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I've gone over 100 mph plenty of times on the Prius V

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>hybrid for the poorgays
    >maxxxing out them empegees
    >complaining about the top speed
    These two are incompatible because aero fricks your fuel consumption in the ass above 80 anyway. These cars are geared like that for a reason and be grateful you got decent 0-60, a lot of older Lexus hybrid models is worse.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because the EV motor cannot run at full power for long stretches of time. When you are at that speed, the gas engine is producing its maximum power output and there’s nothing left to generate power for the hybrid system.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Absolutely wrong.
      Every EV motor has a "redline", and these cars are geared the way the redline for the entire system is at that speed.
      The motors can run at their full rated power for prolonged periods of time because they are bathing in oil, same oil that lubricates the front transaxle including the eCVT assembly and it has an external oil cooler. The power electronics are water-cooled (separate circuit and separate water pump).
      The ICE won't be running at full power at that speed normally, and even if it did, it doesn't matter because one of the motors acts as a generator at all times transferring some part of this power generated by the engine electrically to the other motor(s). Then the remaining output of the engine is combined with the output from the motor(s) using the planetary gearset. By choosing how much of the energy from the ICE gets converted to electricity and back again (and how fast the motor is running as a result) the electronics can effectively vary the resulting "gear" ratio of the system - that's why it's called eCVT.

I mean it's been more than two decades, how can anyone not know this and still write some bullshit about Priuses. It's not a rare or obscure car.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Nobody is gonna read this shit.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Feel free to stay ignorant, I guess.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Honda uses a series-hybrid configuration that gets much worse mpg. Why didn't they use planar CVT like Toyota and Ford?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>planar CVT
          wat

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

see

Absolutely wrong.
            Every EV motor has a "redline", and these cars are geared the way the redline for the entire system is at that speed.
            The motors can run at their full rated power for prolonged periods of time because they are bathing in oil, same oil that lubricates the front transaxle including the eCVT assembly and it has an external oil cooler. The power electronics are water-cooled (separate circuit and separate water pump).
            The ICE won't be running at full power at that speed normally, and even if it did, it doesn't matter because one of the motors acts as a generator at all times transferring some part of this power generated by the engine electrically to the other motor(s). Then the remaining output of the engine is combined with the output from the motor(s) using the planetary gearset. By choosing how much of the energy from the ICE gets converted to electricity and back again (and how fast the motor is running as a result) the electronics can effectively vary the resulting "gear" ratio of the system - that's why it's called eCVT.

I mean it's been more than two decades, how can anyone not know this and still write some bullshit about Priuses. It's not a rare or obscure car.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Those posts are both mine. What does "planar" even mean in this context?

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>What is the fricking point in all that power when you have the top speed of my dads 90 HP Citroen?

How often have you honestly broken 110 mph? 0-60 time is much more relevant for almost all driving.

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>toyota change their mind and release this in the UK
    >£40,000 please
    >lolno

No reason not to be buy a model 3 over this, in the UK where EVs work pretty well.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The reason would be not dying in an EV fire

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Toyota build quality shits all over Tesla. The model 3 rides like a cardboard box on wheels.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It may be electronically limited rather than power/gearing limited.

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They're probably S rating tires, up to 112mph but limited below that for safety and liability

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

109 mph is enough for all roads

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>2024
    >being as quick as a 400,000lb object off the line
    Simply unacceptable.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *