V4 Engine

Why there's no V4 engine? The advantages are too much.

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why two cylinder heads when one will do?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

for added complexity duh

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

t. German

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i ask the same question for all V6 engine in existence

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I've only ever heard V6's are so common because overall length of I6 engines. Makes intuitive sense, but with how cram-packed all engine bays I simultaneously believe it and don't believe its because package size. However, for front wheel drive vehicles, I6 makes no sense.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Especially considering how compact Vr6 engines can be.

5cyl engines for humor.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

AND ANOTHER THING

V4 engines could be like this because frick you.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

wtf

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It made it to prototype, I don't think they brought it to final production for consumer purchase.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Were they having a laugh or was there any practical purpose for that "layout"

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It was an Honda's autism of trying to outcompete the more versatile at the time two strokes with a 4 stroke engine design for motoGP. the rules mandated that you could have a maximum of 4 cylinders, so in order to cram more valves per cylinder to allow for faster revving and better air/fuel mixture they designed a "V8" but connected the pistons in sets of two to make a 4 cylinder 32 valve engine.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NR

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

based, but I bet in practical use it would be a nightmare to deal with if literally anything went wrong

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>if literally anything went wrong
            >if
            The NR was nicknamed Never Ready for a reason.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

was done to beat racing regs

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

gigabased honda shooting themselves in the foot then invent bandage to patch it up (slipper clutch)

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

OK, I have engine FOR YOU

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I don't get it. Looks like an ai generated engine bay where they rotated it towards the front corner for some reason

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Google is hard.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why do you think that would be better than an inline four cylinder?

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They aren't common in cars because an inline 4 can easily fit in even the smallest engine bays. They are a staple of bikes though.

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

shut the frick up eurocuck

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Complexity and widt

7. 2 weeks ago
    L8 Engine

Why there's no L8 engine? The advantages are too much.

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why no W3

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

GOOD NEWS, ANON!

Its just a quarter or third or whatever of a radial engine, but its either a W3 or a radial 3, depending how you look at it. They're inline depending on orientation/perspective, but not an inline engine for its architecture.

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

V1

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Counterpoint: Inline one.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Advantages vs a v1?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Simpler, narrower. It’s really all you need.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

wouldn't that just be a non vertical (like old Briggs) small engine?

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why make a V engine, if a straight one still easily fits and is cheaper to make. It's not like the V shape magically makes your engine more powerful

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

explain the Boxer engine

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Autism

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Minecraft

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Power
      >4 cams>>>

[...]

But not only that, it also makes the engine more compact at cost of complexity of course but still.

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

why not a 10l one-cylinder engine?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

that’s a big piston

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

for you

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Nah the stroke is measured in feet.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

So a steam generator circa 1897?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous
  12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Double the cylinder heads
    Double the cams
    And for what? It will fit in smaller engine bays?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Better fitment. Have you seen how crammed these modern cars engine bay are?

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>why no v4
    1.Imbalance
    2.Can not get to accessories AND sensors easily
    3. Tooling cost
    4. Intake would be too high for 4 banger hoods
    5.Can't place transmission directly next to engine in bay.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I4s balance like shit, 90deg V4s balance perfectly.

In cars a 4 cylinder is just a cope for not being able to use more cylinders to begin with so it will always be designed with a focus on packaging and cost reduction over anything else.

It made it to prototype, I don't think they brought it to final production for consumer purchase.

They made a bike specifically to use it in production because Honda things.

based, but I bet in practical use it would be a nightmare to deal with if literally anything went wrong

That's not even the worst problem, the chassis they designed around it required splitting the bike in half to make carburetor adjustments which was actually moronic. It might have actually worked if they had tried it later on, but the NR500 had the big problem of being Honda's first GP racing motorcycle in a long time and being engineered by a lot of people without racing experience so along with being experimental as frick they also had to learn all the dumb shit not to regardless of engine layout. This was also the era that GPs were still push starts so being so much fricking harder to bump than a 2 stroke it almost always ended up around last off the line no matter where they qualified.

For what it's worth the 2 stroke configurations are also kind of batshit insane by what we're used to these days, with square 4s and dual crank V4s.

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

here's why

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it'd be too powerful for a human to handle
    picrel, the fastest car ever was a 4cyl hybrid

16. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

People don´t want v4 engine in cars because they have a odd firing order unlike the inline 4 or the boxer 4, same reason why oddfire v6 are not a thing anymore.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Explain, why is an odd-firing order bad?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Because even though it may have perfect primary balance from having counterweights and a 90° angle, it sounds and feels like it's unbalanced or misfiring because the exhaust pulses are uneven, and you don't want a customer asking why a new car isn't working right.

Having uneven power pulses also means that these engines need heavier flywheels to maintain a low idle, making them sluggish at high rpm and to change gear (race engines don't need flywheels). Finally, the uneven power pulses make for much higher torque variations as it rotates, which may be desirable in a motorcycle to make the rear tire slide more predictably, but places a lot more stress on the gearbox and the drivetrain, forcing them to be made beefier than they would otherwise have to be. (And when you get on truck/ship/airplane levels of torque, not practical at all).

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>The advantages are too much
    that's why no one does it, it would be considered cheating and unfair on everyone else

18. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why isn't this also considered a radial 6?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Sweet. Looks very compact.

19. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taunus_V4_engine

20. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *