what do you think about the lexus sc400

I am considering buying a lexus sc400 and would like to know what you think of it

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Prepare to be fixing leaks from rotting rubber hoses and replacing rotted bushings all over. The cars you'll be looking at are nearing 30 years old by now.

But man, they are some sexy ass cars.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>bushings
      You mean bushes?

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Filename related.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>90s era auto only
      into the trash

every 90s car would have the same problem and the sc300 manual while rare is bolt on. you can easily buy an aftermarket adapter plate kit.
      this car is basically a supra but with a comfier interior. Lexus rules, always has always will. Personally, I would get an IS300 myself, but if you're a 2 door fwd guy sc400 is the frickin bees knees.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

>the sc300 manual while rare is bolt on. you can easily buy an aftermarket adapter plate kit.
        Spoken like somebody who hasn't done the actual research. Unless you plan on replacing the V8 with I6, too, the manual does NOT bolt on without modification to the bell housing to make it fit to the 1UZ. The operation is not as simple as whatever the casual car forums has lead you to believe.

>this car is basically a supra but with a comfier interior.
        It really is not. Z-body and A-body are different cars. One is designed as a luxury coupe while the other is more of a sportscar.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

>One is designed as a luxury coupe while the other is more of a sportscar.
          They're closer than you think there's significant overlap in the suspension parts.

Bruh the SC400 is rwd

[...]
          Bruh they've been making bolt on 1UZ bellhousings for W58s and R154s for like a hundred years now lmao

I certainly wouldn't put a W box on a 1uz in a chubby b***h like the sc400 and an r154 swap is several grand easy.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>muh w58 too weak
            Not this meme again, this is getting out of hand! The 1UZ has like 20kw more than the SC300 which came with a W58 from the factory lol

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

1uz can and will pop a w box. Having a manual swapped 1uz myself I've talked with several ppl running the same setup and it's quite common to break a gearbox or 3.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Several people running 295 semis on the rear and dropping the hammer at 7k maybe

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Not really. As far as I can tell not all W boxes are created equal they seem to vary in durability with application and year. I've abused mine quite a bit and it hasn't broken but others haven't been so lucky. I certainly wouldn't recommend the setup due to:
            -aforementioned questionable durability
            -lack of headroom.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Yeah bra it's pretty simple: aluminium sandwich plate = less torque. So just get one with a steel sandwich plate.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>They're closer than you think there's significant overlap in the suspension parts.
            That just means that they have some compatibility, not that their suspension parts are the same like everybody who has not worked on both these cars thinks. You pretty much have to replace the whole rear subframe if you want true 100% parts interchangeability with the other car. Truth is that the difference in design really shows the difference in what these cars were intended for.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Bruh the SC400 is rwd

>the sc300 manual while rare is bolt on. you can easily buy an aftermarket adapter plate kit.
        Spoken like somebody who hasn't done the actual research. Unless you plan on replacing the V8 with I6, too, the manual does NOT bolt on without modification to the bell housing to make it fit to the 1UZ. The operation is not as simple as whatever the casual car forums has lead you to believe.

>this car is basically a supra but with a comfier interior.
        It really is not. Z-body and A-body are different cars. One is designed as a luxury coupe while the other is more of a sportscar.

Bruh they've been making bolt on 1UZ bellhousings for W58s and R154s for like a hundred years now lmao

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

>Bruh they've been making bolt on 1UZ bellhousings for W58s and R154s for like a hundred years now lmao
          Cool, let us know when you have swapped into your car...

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Well I don't have a 1UZ if that's what you're getting at, but I have 4 W-series gearboxes and 4 or 5 different bellhousings and I've got a custom fitted gearbox in my car right now....

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

really not that bad, 1 hose so far for a 29y
      I'm planning to do them all

2. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>90s era auto only
    into the trash

3. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I have one and it's slow, not because it's fast because it will fly off the road if it goes fast. If you are lucky you won't get a SC400 with literal 4-6cylinder gearing, like the SC300, but that's only for 1997 and above (and nobody bought many of those). The VVT-i 1UZ is actually pretty nice, don't sound like it's thundering all the time but it can really open up.

There are much better cars out there, don't fall for the collector meme it's not worth it. Hagerty; the wienersuckers denied my car before they published that SC400 article. All future SC400's and Soarer's are going to be modified or garaged, but most of them already are salvaged because they can't turn. Worst of all Toyota don't seem to make the parts for them anymore, even the proper windshield glass specs.

4. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Be prepared to lay drift tax

5. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

get the lower ball joints in the front checked they are very expensive to replace as you need whole new arms

6. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Frumpy car for bland Asian parents to drive and merge into traffic without looking.

7. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

theres a dude in town here with one that has a twisted tea wrap and soarer badges. never seen one that wasnt molested and leaky but im sure if kept well theyre nice cars.

8. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

i had one for a while. These things rust a little, not bad but I still had to change out the brakes on mine since they seized. They have lots of body roll, not uncontrolled but pretty uncomfortable. No lsd so kind of yucky when u get sideways, but the wheelbase is long enough that it doesnt really happen. You sit nice and low in these so long trips are alright. the roof drains tend to clog up and leak into the interior but its a easy fix, just becareful with the interior trims since the tabs tend to snap. i would say keep the skinny tires on so at least its easier to drift or lose traction? i put on some 225s on mine and it really just doesn’t wanna go sideways after that. I had a 99 model year one so it came with the upgraded troony, it’s not as shit as the 4 speed but it’s still slow by today’s standards. enough power to get out of its own way on the highways and the v8 intake noise is cool. modding is gonna be pretty easy but there’s not many power mods. picking the right wheels is also kind of hard since it’s either Black person tier or drifter tier. lexus dont make parts for these cars anymore so honestly anything u find is gonna be remanned or salvaged. overall i just couldnt find myself keeping it long term. beautiful cars but underwhelming when close to stock

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

keep in mind, mine had only 80k when i got it, previously driven by some grandma in south carolina. nothing was leaking and the common sense items were all up to date, but it still had rusty suspension bits and frame surface rust. i know it was normal for a car this age but for something like this i was just disappointed that nothing in particular blew me away. It’s just a normal car, reliable, decently powerful. But the sc400 had nothing going for it, it’s not fast, not light, it’s automatic, and it’s old. Mediocre at best from me. I moved onto a miata after this and enjoyed that wuite a bit more

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Hello fellow VVTI 1UZ brother, these are really underrated engines IMO, too bad there was never any aftermarket for them. I also ended up buying a roadster for more fun, still needed to have a V8 though.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *