What gear do you leave your car parked in?

first or neutral?

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Park.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Based pussy.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Sorry, this forum is for people who like cars and driving. Go to /n/ if you just want a self driving appliance.

2. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Neutral because there's almost no inclines where I live

3. 2 years ago
    Panda5

3rd, or reverse if it's facing down a hill.

4. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

R2

5. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

First gear.
    I don't want anyone pushing my car off my property.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>I don't want anyone pushing my car off my property.
      If they can take the brake off, they can put the car in neutral lol

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Wrong lol

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

Hope in your car with it turned off, shift it into neutral, release the parking brake, then realized you're a fricking moro. And if someone can release the parking brake they get out your car in neutral.

6. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

First in my car, reverse in my truck. It's an odd habit.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Curious, I wonder why? Different shift patterns? Or dies the truck have a Granny you don't normally use while driving?

7. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

1st if parked uphill
    Reverse if parked downhill

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Parking brake always
      leave in first if parked on an incline
      leave in reverse if parked on a decline.

This won't work as a backup to the handbrake since the engine will try to rotate in the reverse direction if the car rolls. This means no compression will be generated and engine resistance will be minimal. Furthermore, on some engines, you risk fricking up with cam drive tensioners.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

You have no idea what the frick you're talking about

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

You have no idea how engines work. Engines rotating backwards do not produce compression due to valve timing. Furthermore, many timing solutions can skip teeth when the engine runs in reverse because the tensioners loosen.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

What is the power stroke and what happens if it occurs backwards?

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

spoken like a true moron

8. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Shift to neutral apply the E brake then shift to park

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

based
      but it's neutral and let rest with drift handle, then leave in gear.

9. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

N

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

G

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

G

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

E

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

R

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

nice

10. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

2nd, then I throw some logs behind the tires because I'm paranoid about it rolling. (I did a parking brake delete)

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Nobody does a parking brake delete. You just remove it because its stopped working lol.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Yep, dead on.

11. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

P

12. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

neural, or first if on a steep hill

13. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I'm still new to manual. Always leave it neutral with parking brake no mater where I park. Is this wrong?

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Parking brake always
      leave in first if parked on an incline
      leave in reverse if parked on a decline.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

You're good. Might want to eave it in first and take the handbrake off if you are leaving the car still for a while so as to not seize the rear brakes.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

It's fine as long as you don't forget to use the parking brake like a moron
      t. moron

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

I'm still new to manual. Always leave it neutral with parking brake no mater where I park. Is this wrong?

Putting it in first gear AND applying the parking brake is the super safe way, but only applied more to older designs of car that might have been prone to having weak or badly adjusted parking brakes that might let go or slip. Less common now with modern cars if they're maintained properly. Still, with the car in gear and parking brake on you know there's no way the car can roll if you're on a hill.

>t. came out one morning to find my car front end resting against the rear end of other car on the driveway because the hand brake slipped and I forgot to put it in 1st

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>have alignment service done
      >get back in the car
      >start it up
      >let back off of the clutch
      >BONK
      *sigh*
      >put it in neutral and start it back up.
      ...thanks, boomers.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

He doesn't wiggle the stick, look guys! He doesn't wiggle the stick.
        >Be at stop light
        >Wiggle stick 1st - 2nd - 1st
        >Wiggle stick 1st - 2nd - 1st again make sure not 3rd
        >Wiggle stick 1st - 2nd - 1st again make sure not neutral
        >Wiggle stick reverse to scare person behind you
        >Wiggle stick back to 1st, take off, making all previous wiggling redundant

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

Hey anon maybe you could come wiggle my stick?

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Rate your stick on a scale of transfer case - detroit diesel

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

literally me

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

> >Wiggle stick reverse to scare person behind you
          extra lulz, when the person behind you is an hypersensitive EVgay , shitting his pants, as he sees the white backlights of your iceberg-melding diesel truck

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

*Always* put it in first
      *Always* apply the parking brake
      Nevermind the dummies saying overwise.

14. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Neutral with handbrake in my garage because it's level. 1st and handbrake if I'm street parked.

15. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Neutral is not a gear it's literally not being in gear

16. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

first no handbrake in garage/driveway
    first/reverse+handbrake at work or elsewhere

17. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>mfw I could roll all the no-gearer's cars itt into the closest river

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

it's not hard to roll a car in a gear anyway if it's not in park

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Maybe with a 1.8l shitbox. My 7.3l with 4.10s in the ring gear and 4.14 in 1st isn't moving when it doesn't want to. 240lbs compression on the lowest cylinder x16 multiplication + v8 means more than one cylinder compressing at once + driveline friction + the parking brake = good luck pulling it with anything less than another full on truck.

18. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Reverse if le manual
    I used to daily a classic Saab so that's probaply why

19. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

first

20. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I put it in P if on incline and in P if it's level ground.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I hope you set the weight on the handbrake in an incline, because otherwise you’ll wear out the pin in the transmission

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

I use the parking brake every time even for manual cars. It's actually kind of hilarious when I see other people try to drive away in a car that I parked because they don't know how to release the parking brake.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

I never use the parking brake in other people's automatics because idiots never use them and they tend to stick a lot or have other issues when they're not used enough. I don't want the hassle of "why won't the brakes release" or "frick the cable snapped" in not my car. After living with a manual for all these years and the gf uses her handbrake in her auto it's always jarring to ride with people who don't use it and you get that fricking Park Gear roll and stop. People think it's just part of parking. I've never actually heard of a parking pin snapping but.. Just hurts to feel nonetheless.

https://i.imgur.com/RoRNiqI.jpg

first or neutral?

Always hand brake. Manual so first for uphill and reverse for downhill, though I don't actually mechanically know why this is the case. Seems like you risk running the engine backwards? But it's what everything says to do. And turn the wheels to roll into the curb.

I normally leave it in neutral when parked on level because I have a remote car starter.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>I never use the parking brake in other people's automatics because idiots never use them and they tend to stick a lot or have other issues when they're not used enough. I don't want the hassle of "why won't the brakes release" or "frick the cable snapped" in not my car. That is some grade-A advice anon, thank you. I'm gonna remember that. I'm a parking brake and parking gear devotee all the time (bike with fork lock + chain and in a high gear if a weird area) but that is a much better strategy with a stranger's car.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>I've never actually heard of a parking pin snapping but
            I drive a vehicle where it just won't engage a lot of the time, don't know if it's from the pawl being abused or what, not my truck. Always use parking brake when driving it, and half the time can't even get it in park to start it.

21. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Imagine being a manualtard in 2022 lmao

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

just admit it's too hard, it's okay anon.

22. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Serious question, why not leave it in the highest gear possible to give the least chance of it rolling? Assuming complete e-brake failure 1st would still have enough mechanical advantage to turn over the engine where as 5th would have so little it shouldn't move.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous
      • 2 years ago
        Anonymous

What kind of hills are you parking on?

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Think about it some more, actually think about it backward. If you had to turn the engine over by turning a wheel yourself, the higher the gear the more leverage you'd get. For example, 1st get you might have 5:1, in 5th gear you'd have 20:1 (numbers for example) If it did start rolling in 5th, it would have the least resistance, and it would cover more ground between compression cycles. As for 1st or reverse, reverse is generally geared the same, or slightly higher than 1st, so either work.
      tl:dr The ground has more and more mechanical advantage to turn the engine the higher the gear.

23. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

ITT: A bunch of morons. It doesn't matter if facing up or downhill your tallest gear, usually first, is the one you want to leave it in. That way the smallest amount of tire turns equals the largest amount of engine turns.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Are you moronic? First is the lowest gear dumbass

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Exactly. In first gear your engine spins the fastest in relation to your wheels. Say your first gear tops out at 20. If you pushed the car 20mph it would be turning the engine at redline, which would be very difficult to do. If you had the car parked in 6th it would barely be turning the engine, because 6th gear at 20mph is below idle speed.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

>asks others if they suffer from his condition

24. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Americans truly ask the dumbest questions on the planet. Unsurprisingly the answers here are moronic as well.

25. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

1st if facing uphill, reverse if facing downhill.
    I typically leave it in neutral with handbrake on in my driveway tho, that way I can key it over without getting in, give it a bit extra time while I load up.

26. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Almost always just park it in first gear. Exceptions would be steep inclines or parking somewhere with high risk of my car getting hit, such as city parallel parking.

27. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Second

28. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

neutral with handbrake on

29. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>at home
    parking brake off because it leaves spots on my disks
    in neutral because I'm afraid I'll forget I left the car in gear and drop the clutch whilst in gear
    car is parked on gravel so not going anywhere anyways.
    >at work:
    neutral w/ parking brake
    >elsewhere
    1st gear

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>in neutral because I'm afraid I'll forget I left the car in gear and drop the clutch whilst in gear

Imagine being such a brainlet.

Get in car.
      Put key in ignition
      Clutch in.
      Wiggle stick left and right to verify neutral
      Rotate ignition key to start the engine.
      Release clutch

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

People are fricking moronic though. Every time you turn the key, make it a habit to have one foot on clutch and one on brake pedal. Throw in a stick wiggle for plus points. I literally broke up with my gf because she never did these things despite me telling her a thousand times, resulting in her nearly running me over in the driveway. Stupid fricking b***h she was.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

I get half in the car to start it, before fully getting in. Give it a few more seconds to get the oils flowing before I race to my wage cage

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

>he starts his car with the clutch in
        Enjoy your worn thrust bearings

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

I bet you don't drive your car at all either since it would just wear the tires and we can't have that now can we

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Wearing out tires is necessary to use the car, starting with the clutch in causes undue and avoidable wear on critical engine internals.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

have a nice day moron.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

No, I'll stay alive and my engine will stay alive longer than yours

How do you shift gears

Pressing the clutch is only bad on startup and if you ride it, normal shifting is fine

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>with clutch in
            >engine internals

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

Most every manual in America has a clutch switch where it has to be pushed in to start the car

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

Disable it

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

How do you shift gears

30. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

H

31. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

fifth

32. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Stall

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

you are based

western or english?

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

I'm actually not based, I'm attention seeking, also have no friends, contemplating suicide, was recently a wizard (30yo virgin) but I paid a hooker, there's more... but what's the point

Thanks though 🙂

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

>have no friends
          what about us?

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

we all are friends here anon...

33. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

3rd when facing uphill and reverse when facing downhill. And neutral on a flat surface which it mostly is over here.

34. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

cement

35. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Where I live, leaving your car in first can get you charged if a thief tries to steal it and gets injured because the car lurched forwards

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

move

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

bullshit

36. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

p for penis

37. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

First

38. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

In my garage, I leave it in first with handbrake off. Anywhere else, in first with handbrake on.

39. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

You put it in gear while parked because the engine still brakes the car for you.

t. sometimes leave the gearbox in D when I turn it off

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

In my car, you can't remove the key if the transmission is in drive. It'll turn off, but won't come out

40. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

k

41. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Neutral on flat ground. Parking brake takes care of it. First if not flat.

Honestly, I'd leave it in neutral everywhere I could. I don't want some gay hitting my car hard enough to where it cause the engine to jump timing or destroy my transmission

42. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Put the car into 1st or reverse gear depending on where obstacles are so you don't lurch into them in case you forget to put the car back in neutral when you start it. Both 1st and reverse are basically equally good at preventing rolling motion in both a forwards and backwards direction so your gear choice doesn't matter as far as your orientation (facing up or down) on the gradient is concerned.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>oth 1st and reverse are basically equally good at preventing rolling motion in both a forwards and backwards direction so your gear choice doesn't matter as far as your orientation (facing up or down) on the gradient is concerned
      learnt something new today, thanks

43. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

The owners manual says to leave it in 1st.

44. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

First. I don't even use the handbrake unless i'm parking on a hill. Never had a problem.

45. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

4th gear.

46. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

D
    …with the keys left in.

47. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

neutral, no parking break

48. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

park in the daily
    reverse in the shitbox (if its in the driveway)

49. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>my garage
    neutral; there's a steel mat it rests on that prevents it from rolling either way
    >elsewhere
    5th (natural) or reverse (uphill / flat vs downhill) with the handbrake on too

50. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Why are there so many idiots ITT who think an engine can't turn backwards or something? You're literally just making sure its in the wrong gear 100% of the time if it does roll. At least the "always 1st"ers have it right 50% of the time by accident
    I leave it in 1st always unless there's a real possibility of it rolling backwards like a very steep uphill, then its reverse and wheel turned to curb. If its only shallow and 1st will likely hold it then I don't bother with the direction and stick with 1st
    If the car moves I'd rather have the engine turn the actual way it was supposed to

Leaving in gear is very helpful and a necessary redundancy to reduce handbrake wear and provide a backup if it snaps. Ask me how I know
    I have a steep downhill driveway and had to modify the way I park the car because my bad habits had consequences
    Previously my routine was
    >park car -> clutch in -> apply handbrake -> release footbrake and check it holds car -> pull handbrake tighter until it holds -> THEN turn off car -> make sure its in 1st gear -> THEN release clutch

This was stupid. I wore out my handbrake through needlessly pulling it as tight as possible so that it held on an incline with only the handbrake.
    It wore out so bad the handbrake now stuggles to hold the car, so I changed my routine because I wondered how much difference the engine really made. Turns out a lot. My routine is now
    >park car -> clutch in -> hold on foot brake -> DONT apply handbrake -> make sure its in 1st gear -> turn off car -> release clutch -> THEN apply handbrake firmly but not too hard -> gently release footbrake and check it holds

You need to apply noticably less handbrake this way and the handbrake which I've still not had tightened yet is sufficient on my driveway.

I'd rather save the handbrake on my driveway anyway because it would only roll 1m before stopping at the large bump at the bottom. It has never happened to me, but has to my neighbour on several occasions with their auto somehow

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>I wore out my handbrake

How does that happen? Over long periods of time, like 40-50 years, the cable might stretch beyond its limits and snap, but until then, adjusting the handbrake is very easy. In my case, I remove a piece of rear cupholder plastic trim behind the handbrake itself and tighten a nut until there's barely any play before the lever starts pulling the cable itself.

The only time you should do this is if you're parked on a steep hill.

Facing up - 1st
      Facing down - reverse

If your parking break fails, it'll safe you. However, my brother in law left his car in 1st and I got in to park it somewhere else out the way and didn't realise and almost smashed it through my living room so don't do it.

Another brainlet spotter

51. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

The only time you should do this is if you're parked on a steep hill.

Facing up - 1st
    Facing down - reverse

If your parking break fails, it'll safe you. However, my brother in law left his car in 1st and I got in to park it somewhere else out the way and didn't realise and almost smashed it through my living room so don't do it.

52. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

The amount of Boomer lore moronation in this thread is astounding.
    Some of my favorite hot takes:
    >Disengaging the clutch before starting the engine will cause severe internal wear to the engine
    Note: this is required on every modern vehicle for at least a decade for you to start it
    >You have to put it in first or the car will roll away when someone pushes it, even if the parking brake is on
    >Setting the parking brake won't prevent them from rolling it away and even if they can get in the vehicle to release it you can't shift it into neutral
    >You have to put it in first no matter what because it will roll away
    >Parking brakes fail so often you have to keep it in first on hills or it will just roll away. Even after the brake is already engaged it will just fail and release with little to no outside forces acting on it or the vehicle
    >Engaged parking brakes that fail via the cable breaking or bwing cut will release and your car can be rolled away
    I honestly can't tell if these claims are from severe poorgays or morons that listen to their cousin uncle dad's hot takes.

Pic related. It's 90% of the posters that commented here. Myself a select few excluded.

53. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I leave mine in P gear

54. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>manual
    First, neutral if I’m feeling lazy or in a rush.

>Autotragic
    Park on flat terrain, neutral, E-brake, then park on any kind of incline. Saves the transmission some, but I think I need a new cable. Might actually convert it to a dual-caliper hydraulic system

55. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

This is actually a thinly disguised poor people problems thread.

56. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Parking gear with parking break

57. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Reverse

58. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

first when facing uphill, reverse when facing downhill.

59. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>car nose points down
    1st+handbrake
    >car nose points up
    reverse+handbrake
    >flat ground
    just leave it in 1st

60. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

So, if I'm parking downhill, should I leave it in reverse or not?

61. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

>parking brake only works on one wheel but holds weirdly strong
    could it have broken in such a way that the full force of a correctly functioning brake goes to 1 wheel?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *