What is the lowest ambient temperature that a car can drive in?

What is the lowest ambient temperature that a car can drive in?

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Lower than you'd be able to survive in

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Considering limit for human body for long-term survival is 59F without clothes, that's not an achievement.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Really depends on the car. Most cars temp sensors bottom out at -40, so if it gets too much colder the computer cant get the air fuel ratio calculated right

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

ive seen -34c in my hyundai a few times and she started no problem. its pretty amazing if you think about it

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>bottom out at -40
      But is that F or C???

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

the highest iq question of the day

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

(You)

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

These shitboxes have a run-of-the-mill carburated Dodge 318 in them and they were chugging through the Yukon in sub -65°f temps, so pretty damn low.

What do they use in Antarctica during the dark winter months now?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I think the US still uses an old D6. There's videos of them starting it up. The Australians have a pair of D7s. Never seen anything during the polar night though but that's probably more due to visibility than temperature. The limiting factor is keeping the fuel/hydraulics from freezing.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

DRIVE in? Pretty fricking low, probably a lot lower than it gets in, say, Alaska. The problem is starting it if you don't have a battery/oil/engine block heater.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>The problem is starting it if you don't have a battery/oil/engine block heater.
      Siberians bring the car battery with them home and preheat the car if they don't leave them running all winter long.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The old method is to drain the oil and heat it outside in a pot, then put it back in, hot. That's more Siberia.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Starting at -40 is cake for any properly maintained car.

Source: have driven Fords, Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Mazdas, Hyundais in -40, all started fine. The only one that didn't start was a Jeep, no surprise there though.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Whatever proper means, most car batteries give out at -20F here. Without pre-warming or starterpack it's not going anywhere

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I didn't think it was hard to have a properly working battery and starter, and the correct viscosity oil. Sorry you're too poor to have a properly working car, I guess

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You've never touched a battery then, because you absolutely won't start anything at -40F on similar temp battery. If you cheat and heat them up before hand of course it'll work.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I have never once used a block heater or heated up a battery.

Again, sorry you're too poor (or too stupid) to have a properly working car, but it's not my fault

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

There was a minus sign in front of "40F" in case you didn't notice

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yes, I saw that. Here's the (you) you so desperately crave. I'm still right, you're still stupid.

Again, sorry you're too poor (or too stupid) to have a properly working car, but it's not my fault,

6. 4 weeks ago
    s10fag

morons in siberia light fires under their cars to keep petrol and oil from freezing, other modifications to keep moisture off the windows and heat retention, the cars stay running almost constantly

Not impossible just inconvenient

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Those are desperation/poverty solutions. I lived in Alaska for a bit and everyone had engine block heaters and most apartment complexes and grocery stores/department stores/movie theaters (any place where you could potentially spend more than an hour in) had posts with outlets so you could keep your car plugged in.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I know that piston aircraft are not the same as cars, but planes like the B36 were piston driven and ran on conventional avgas, basically leaded 100 octane fuel, and has a flight ceiling of 50k feet. At 50k feet temperatures can be as low -75 degrees Fahrenheit. Like other people in the thread have said, engines can run in really cold environments. Personally I used to work on the oil patch where it would be deep in the negatives for weeks at a time. The trouble isnt with them running, engines generate a lot of heat. Its getting them started.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Lada sent a standard, off the shelf Niva to the Soviet antarctic program for tests, and they liked it enough that they asked to keep it. It spent 11 years there.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You can probably drive in very, very cold conditions, especially in a specialty kitted vehicle.
    Starting is a much different question.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Was able to start my 2007 Diesel car in -29F without functioning glowplugs doing some hacky manual heating in the right places. Ran just fine for a 500 mile journey

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Starting is the hard part in extreme cold, it's why you'll see people just leaving their cars running for weeks at a time in some communities

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ICE or EV? That does matter.

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i live in fairbanks in winter and you can drive no matter how cold it gets, shit just breaks way more often and your tires start out square. might need to cover your grill to keep the heat working.
    you definitely have a hard time starting it at -50f but plugging in a trickle charger, block heater, etc usually does the trick. you can also get diesel heaters for when you don’t have power but ideally you want to park in a garage if you can. another option is take the battery somewhere warm since cold batteries are usually the problem
    also automatic transmissions have issues when cold, but you can put an oil pan heater on those too

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Ah yes, the ol' Flintstone tires. I think it has to be like -50F for that to happen, rather than the -20F to -30F that it stays at for most of the winter.

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How do EVs compare to ICE cars in this regard? I know the range is dogshit, but would there be any issues to starting the car at -40?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *