What's the closest American automakers ever got to matching the quality of Japanese

vehicles?
I'd have to say Buicks from the 1990s and 2000s.

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Geo

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>rebadged Toyota Sprinter
      >all that rust
      Pottery

So is eating eggs boiled in boy piss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

If you can eat piss, you can drive a Buick.

>However, not all of Dongyang's residents enjoy the dish. One local man was quoted stating, "The smell kills me. I feel like throwing up at the thought of it. It stinks.”
      It seems one Chinaman is based.

2. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Ford Taurus. They were sleek, economical, and hugely popular upon release.

3. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

can't believe Buick still exists post-2005, bros
    name a bigger collapse in the quality and value of any brand
    and they're all ugly as frick, like an actual joke, on par with some korean clown cars
    who the frick is buying them?

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Buick is very popular in China.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

> Buick is very popular in China.
        Old age is respected in China, it’s said. Explains it.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

Chairman Mao loved Buicks. It's a cultural thing.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

So is eating eggs boiled in boy piss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

If you can eat piss, you can drive a Buick.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

its very strange, a country and culture that generally doesn't hold intellectual property, authenticity in branding, or consumer loyalty finds itself engaging in all 3 with GM's Buick line. What happened? and no, not convinced its this

> Buick is very popular in China.
        Old age is respected in China, it’s said. Explains it.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

> What happened? and no, not convinced its this
          An attempt at a joke. Buicks are considered cars for oldgays, at least in the USA

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

They marketed buick as a rich young man's up and coming car, the way morons view beamers or Mercedes in the us.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

It goes back to the prewar, Buick had at one time an enormous amount of cache worldwide, which GM squandered like the rest of its brand equity. Their first president had one, the former emperor, Chiang Kai Shek. That left an indelible impression with them. They were also the first American brand to make any significant number of cars in China.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

was there an actual reason given the 90deg v6/3800 was brought to an end instead of further refined?

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

the 3800 was built on the ancient 3.5 L Buick V8 block, with two cylinders removed, and bored out. refining it would've been extremely difficult, and likely required redesigning every part on it. instead of doing that, they just discontinued it, and made a new V6 in its place. the LFX/LGX "High Feature Engine" or whatever its called, is not nearly as durable, but at least it can meet emissions whilst making competitive power without needing to be boosted to hell. here's what the new V6 can do in a miata.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

>is not nearly as durable,

this being tolerated, i blame on 60 month car loans.

if people could only buy what they could afford, the disposability of cars after around 2005's incoming class would never have been put up with by consumers.

LZ9 cars are in the can now, and it was only downhill from there...and there seems to be a big hole between that and the step down. You end up in 3cyl territory...

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

>Did you see Audi's timing chains?
          >Do that but even worse

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

>worse than the frickin 4.2
            is it perfect? obviously not. is it as bad as fricking Audi? not a chance. if I'm not mistaken, the 2 idlers on the v6 are balance shafts anyway, so it's about as compact and simple as it feasibly could have been done.

• 2 years ago
            Anonymous

I've done timing chains on Traverses twice.
            Do I enjoy it? No. Is it worse than the Audi? No.
            As long as you have the two tools to ensure cam alignment, it's fine.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

Before the LFX/LGX it was the LLT which was a heaping trash fire with an anemic stock oil pump that let the car run with low oil pressure for like 5 minutes. Plus vehicles with it had an oil change interval recommended by GM for 9000 MILES!
          In comparison, the LFX/LGX are vastly superior due to correcting those issues and using a stronger material for the timing chain links to prevent premature stretching.
          Still not a great engine like the 3800 but it's solid enough.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>name a bigger collapse in the quality and value of any brand
      Nissan
      Subaru
      Mercedes
      BMW
      Land Rover
      literally every badge gm got it's grubby shekel counting hands on

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>who the frick is buying them?
      I just bought one. Well, used.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

the big Enclave is a super comfortable ride, made in America. the Envision is chink shit, literally, but the new gen genuinely genuinely looks really sharp. the Encore GX is a great value if you get a base spec. legitimately the perfect boomer car. Encore GX gets a lot of cringe hot takes because it's so easy to dump on Buick and reviewers also pretend people pay MSRP for GM cars. pre pandemic all the Buick crossovers were $5k to $10k off MSRP. i would drive the hell out of an Enclave Avenir

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

looks comfy tbh

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I bought a verano on the cheap. Besides shit plastic piston rings because of the dcotec it's a decently comfortable a-b shitbox.

4. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

the crown vic surpassed the quality of jap vehicles. how many transmissions does it take for a lexus to reach a million miles? meanwhile, a vic can do it on its original.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

american trucks can take all the physical abuse in the staged top gear hilux """durability""" test, and reach higher mileages on original parts.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

An AOD-E or 4R70W isn't a timebomb like an AX4S but I still wouldn't be expecting 1m miles out of a properly maintained one.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Does an AOD-E with the J-mod still count as stock? It's not from-the-factory stock, but the process was written up by a Ford engineer and it's how the troony was originally designed.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

J-mod helps. but it's still possible to get 1m miles on one but not likely. It's an outlier just like every other 1m mile vehicle. For every 1 million mile Toyota, Ford, or GM or even Dodge there's 1000 that that were junked before then.

5. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Why has no one mentioned our lord and saviour Saturn

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>Our dogshit cavaliers are still too expensive
      >Lets make an even cheaper brand with plastic everything

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

>>Lets make an even cheaper brand with plastic everything
        You meme this like its a bad thing

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

Everything eon the car that isn't plastic panels degrades like a cheap GM.

6. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

> have to junk my 20+ year old century soon

Thanks for reminding me mate

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Why do you have to junk it? I have a 30 year old Century that I intend to keep running for years to come.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Rear end got smashed in a h&r, all turn signals fried, leaks coolant, last window motor finally gave, just getting harder to justify the upkeep and now I'm single and need a car that's not pussy repellent

Can't keep it as a beater cause my useless piece of shit avalanche needs a new motor too and I can't justify owning three cars

7. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

XJ Jeeps were pretty close.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *