whats the HARDEST you've ever been burned on a car?

whats the HARDEST you've ever been burned on a car?

>MFW bought a fricked up miata that ended up putting me atleast 4,000 in the hole.

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

why is it that rabbits always look so effeminate
    it's like the whole species is female

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Associating smooth plump surfaces with effeminate features combined with fluffy hair does that, but it's purely subjective. If you were a hyena, your ideal partner would have a dick.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Because you wanna frick the rabbit (and the fox)

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Bought an old used BMW of Craigslist where a sketchy middle eastern mad acting nervous met me at an apartment complex to sell his supposed wife's car. Car actually looked good, pay 3,300. He wants me to immediately drive to title office, we do, finalize exchange. These guys are doing off lot sales. Selling sketchy cars with no association to the lot. Fake personal sellers. Not long after I realize this things fricked up. Take it in, check engine light came on. O2 sensor, 970.00 right away. Mechanic come out to me, says hey, where'd you get this car? I tell him. He says man, you need to get rid of this. It thew 39 codes. We didn't even know this was possible. Upon closer inspection it was wrecked some time ago and sat a long time till refurbished. Week later BMW sends me mail. How they knew I had that car I have no idea. Airbag takata recall. They replace steering wheel. A week after that a teen girl pulls out in front of me when I'm doing 45-50mph. Air bags deploy, car totaled. I got a new BMW.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>39 codes
      Then there was an issue with battery voltage or something, maybe fixable. Also
      >not bringing obd2 scanner for Craigslist car

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

That post is just a long line of dumb decisions by everyone involved kek

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

True, there was a weird rattle I would hear from the rear of the car at certain speeds on some road type surfaces. Replacing the battery, and fricking around with the battery hold down bolt I notice a 8mm socket just sitting down there below the battery try from who ever had it before me. So I did fix the weird rattle, because I was messing around the battery area.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm a college student and I bought an econobox sight unseen to learn manual on, because I became sort of fixated on this particular model and had it delivered.
    No test drive, not even asking for pictures underneath the car.
    No one can ever achieve my levels of stupidity.
    Luckily it drives and is safe to do so lol, it's not falling apart. But it had quite a bit of wheel related suspension components that needed to be changed out.
    So $7500 car, probably $2000 to fix everything.
    And $7500 was overpaying lol, the thing is I didn't have a car so I couldn't really just drive anywhere to go buy one of these for cheap -- I had to go through a dealership able to deliver.
    Do I regret the purchase? Yes. I would absolutely go back in time and tell myself not to do it.
    But can I say it has all been a bad time? No. I did end up learning manual. I did end up not having to use the fricken bus in freezing weather to get around town.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Just to clarify, I handed a dealership a $7500 check+shipping without actually seeing the car in person... Not on some classic or expensive sports car with 2,000 miles, but a used economybox from a dealership rated 3.5 stars on Google.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

...but which econobox, anon?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's too embarrassing to admit even on an anonymous mongolian basket weaving forum

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

geo metro?

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm not burning I'm "modding"
    >about 10k into a 4k car
    >Still slow because mostly repairs

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Basically every jap car has been a giant moneypit, relative to their value that is.
    Like the civic for example I had sucked about 700 bucks out of me, but it was a 300 buck civic.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Basically every jap car has been a giant moneypit
      says something about you, not japaneese cars lamo. kys wrenchlet, homosexual btw.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Exclusively buys the most clapped out, bottom of the barrel models of (brand)
      >Inevitably has problems
      >"Damn I can't believe every single (brand) car is garbage"

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>be 27 yo moron whose never owned anything but muscle cars but has had fricking great luck with all of them
    >last November
    >oooo I see a track car for sale hehe
    >only 5500
    >no hvac or radio but whatever its a cheap buy
    >drive it for a few weeks
    >engine go boom
    >shop tells me oh itll be 3-4k
    >that sucks but alright I guess
    >wait over a month for their slow asses
    >that'll be $6600 plus tip
    >doesn't even run right, they didn't throw the right sized throttle body in the new engine
    >idles up and down sometimes
    >lag on full throttle
    >struggling to sell it for 6k so I can buy a semi normal car
    >could've just sold it as a roller but they insisted "nobody will buy it as is" with a blown engine
    >figure I could get a little more if I just put a working engine in
    >nope.avi
    I want to kill them. I'm getting every single fricking word written down at the mechanic from now on when dealing with something this big. And when the warranty on this rebuilt engine is up I'm writing them the shittiest review ever known to mankind. Could've nearly had a fricking Coyote or a nice LS1 Firebird or a Corvette even with all that money down the drain. Just had to get a fricking track car. Wanted one all my life but it was not the right time, or the right buy. Fricking hell I'm moronic. I miss my last car. I deserve it for having sold her. I'm so fricking sorry Nova. I miss the whine of your rear end that always made me anxious towards the end. I should have just fixed and kept you.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I want to kill them
      have a nice day. Try working on your own car sometime homosexual

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>IVE..BECOME SO NUMB..

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Never really been burned per se.

First car I bought was a '94 Jimmy from my dad. Threw money at a new longblock because it had low oil pressure. It was a really shitty driving SUV. Slow, bouncy, and loud. I ended up just letting it rot in the driveway for a few years and sold it for $100 to some guy who just showed up asking for it. Probably lost me a few thousand dollars there just because I didn't feel like putting an ounce of effort into it, even listing it for sale as-is.

My next car was still not a "me" car, but it worked out fine. It's what I thought I wanted, but it turns out I'm a nimble sports car guy and not a GT guy. But I don't mind having a GT alongside sports cars. She's a good car.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>bouncy
      How is that a bad thing?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's not if you're offroading. The suspension needs to be soft enough with enough travel to soak up the big bumps.
        But it's utter shit for on-road performance.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Suspension is ironic in that the "better" it feels (i.e. bouncy and floaty instead of stiff and tight), the worse and more dangerous it is.

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

spent almost 8k on an extremely mint low mileage GS400
    after i got it the engine nuked itself from zero maintenance since being bought and sitting for 20 years
    spent 4k on another engine + transmission because i was already so far down the hole
    spent another 4k on coilovers, redoing the ball joints and refreshing all the front suspension parts, and wheels
    had it for a year before getting fed up with random electrical issues, part replacements, oil leaks, everything

traded it in for 3k
    could have flipped the wheels by themselves for 1500 but gave zero shits at that point that thing was fricking cursed
    lessons learned: frick auctions, frick old luxury cars, and frick the low mileage meme

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>at that point that thing was fricking cursed
      I feel this, just sell the fricking car, get it out of your driveway, stop paying insurance on it, pretend it never happened.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Bought a 7th gen Celica, got it serviced, then had the engine seize after 300 km because it has burnt all of its oil, got the engine changed, then sold it when that engine also burnt oil.
    3500 paid including the replacement engine, got 2000 back for it, but the stress of dealing with the seller and keeping him on the hook for at least part of the repairs was what made it terrible.
    It's tied for first spot with the Aprilia Futura I bought around the same time, which had nothing but electrical issues. That one cost about 3k and in the end I gave it away for free just to be rid of it

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>It's tied for first spot with the Aprilia Futura I bought around the same time, which had nothing but electrical issues. That one cost about 3k and in the end I gave it away for free just to be rid of it
      What an absolute homosexual you are, if I had an AF1 it'd be a till death do us part affair.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It was an RST1000 you flaming homosexual

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I mean I've always been burned by a car, regardless of how well you maintain it, all it does is break and cost money. It's never going to profite to own one unless I became a taxi driver

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>It's never going to profite to own one unless I became a taxi driver
      Or own a sought after high end vehicle, but that thought didn't cross your unfortunately low self-esteem laden mind.

I believe in you anon

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Sounds like gambling to me, and I'd be sweating to drive my gamble and have it break on me. Even stock trading sounds much less risk prone

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My first car, the same car I still own today at twenty five.

> $1500 Metallic Blue Crown vic, police package
    > Interior is half gone
    > Rust spot on front fender
    > Dead battery
    > Revive car in the dead of winter with a shitty underspec walmart battery the owner bought.
    > Runs fine, test drive is okay
    > Talk seller down $300, I think it was due to the exhaust leak and the drive door needing to be rebuilt. I regret not talking them down more, but I do not regret buying this car. See reasoning ahead.

> Get car home and it immediately dies.
    > Gas tank busts, vomits half of it's contents.
    > Alternator dies
    > Starter dies
    > Have to make a choice, continue to share the single family car or spent the extra to get it running again.

> Mechanic handles the starter and gas tank (banned by this mechanic, after the gas tank fell apart in their shop)
    > Replace alternator myself
    > Old alternator lug showers copper everywhere
    > Replace spark plugs and coils, fixes the enigne running like dog shit
    > Splice and solder in a new radio harness, new radio.

One year later
    > Gotta pass emissions. New mechanic. TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR NEW EXHAUST MANIFOLD. BECAUSE THE OLD OWNER SAID "FRICK YOU, THERES FIFTEEN POUNDS OF SILICONE HOLDING IT TO THE BLOCK"

This year, maintenance stuff
    > Upper control arms, steering shaft is fricked to hell
    > New coolant hoses
    > New oil cooler lines
    > New belt tensioner
    > New belt pulley
    > New AC control cluster
    > New dash bulbs
    > Repaired ticket light
    > Rebuilt engne bay light
    > Car purrs like a kitten, starts without any fuss now.
    > Lots of rust reformer spray patches because I can't afford bodywork atm (sanding rust spots and now using rust converter beforehand)

I forget but there are a lot of other issues

Also, this car has earned itself being restored in my eyes, because if I were driving any other car in 2022, I would have died in a collision during a blizzard. I am almost certain of it.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Maintenance spreadsheet.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

How did you manage to spend $400 on an alternator? Reman is $62

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

it says oem so he probably paid oem price

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

wrenchlets seriously pay mechanics that much?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>spent $8k on a $1200 car
        holy frick dude. Theres a million and one nice low mileage panthers floating around

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Your 8k are the perfect proof of why sometimes it's better to look for a much nicer unit for a little more money. Had you bought a $1800 car it's likely you wouldn't have spent that much to keep it in shape.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>banned by this mechanic, after the gas tank fell apart in their shop

peak DA, I love it

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Flew from NC to Iowa to get it since the guy had a ton of service records and it is relatively low miles for an 07 V8. The interior was in worse shape than I thought, the euro shop the guy was bringing it to was boderline moronic and half assed major service like the valve cover gaskets which is like a 10 hour ($3000) job. So I have pretty much had to redo everything in the engine bay, the chassis has rust, the paint isnt great, the interior isnt great, and I could have just spent like an extra $1000 and bought a much nicer kept example. I am too deep in the hole at this point and I only really use it as a tow rig / junkyard run truck but its been constant with the random BS problems.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

actually now that I think about it, this E63 AMG I bought when I was like 19 was easily the worst decision I ever made. Holy shit this thing had SO many problems, I probably lost close to 10k in 3 months between repairs and having to trade it into a dealer when I found out the head bolts were bad.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

That you had $10k lying around to lose in the first place at 19 is pretty impressive

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The paint looks sound. Just get some turtle wax polish and spend a few hours hand-polishing it.
      Just polish with a damp cloth in 1.5 foot by 1.5 foot sections until they go from scritchy to smooth.

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Wrenchlets who pay other men to fix their cars.
    The Thread.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Some of us have jobs.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>I'm a big baby wrenchlet that would rather spend $6,600+ on an engine rebuild than take some time out of my oh so busy busy schedule to do it myself

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

And what about the people who don't have a garage?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Are you gonna keep making excuses or are you gonna pick up a wrench?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Okay please let me know how I can go into my apartment parking garage and start "wrenching" kek. I'll be able to leave my car dismantled in the parking lot, take a break, and come back the next day with everything there, right?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

yes, because I'm not poor. I and I don't find wrenching fun or taking 3 weeks to do what coul be done by a shop in 3 days.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>I like throwing money away
            >Wrenching is beneath me
            >on a car enthusiast forum

Also, I've found shops take way longer to complete (simple) tasks than just doing it on your own

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Sometimes you're paying to get the job well done because you're aware there's ways to frick up the job that someone experienced would know not to do.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I dont trust black people to work on my car, so I pay the white mechanics shop to do it

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I had the opposite experience
    >Buy $5000 "tastefully modded" but not fully riced out sport version of popular manual economy hatchback from shady dealer that was already nearly 15 years old
    >it just fukken works for the next decade with zero problems and cheap maintenance despite hooning and redlining constantly
    >even randomly found the previous owner who recognized the car who gave me the spare key he forgot to give the dealer
    Everything went better than I could have expected or hoped for. Now it's a $10,000 car and increasingly rare these days because of the age.

16. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Bought an old car off a granny who never drove, less than 10k miles. Drove wonderful, was a blast. Ended up selling several years later since i stopped driving. Now I need to drive again and I regret getting rid of it.

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i been burned maybe a couple of times but ive always been able to recoup by either reselling or have the guy buy it back, thankfully. one thing i learned is ill never get a Volkswagen again

18. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

how about the hardest I burned someone on a car?
    In 2017 I sold an '89 VW Gol (hatchback of what NA knows as the Fox) to a guy who was a mechanic enamored with the model. It was a shitheap so I had it posted at $3000 (good ones went for as high as $6500 at the time, this one had a rotten floor welded by a brazilian shade tree mechanic with no helmet on that was never painted to prevent rust to add insult to injury). So this guy shows up to see the car, he cared a lot about the papers being in order which were the only redeemable thing about that leaking POS (couldn't even get a stereo because water would leak in and break it). I expected to sell for $2500 but he didn't haggle so I burned the guy for $3000. Sorry, not sorry.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

por isso que o brasil não vai pra frente, puta que o pariu

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Not Brazil but one of your neighbors, that car would probably be half the price or less there. And I didn't deceive the guy, he knew it was a mechanic special. I've seen the car around, he seems to have dumped a lot of money on it because it looks much nicer now. Funny thing I forgot to mention earlier, the car even needed a clutch job at the time I sold it. I had dolled up the interior a bit with new door cards and seat covers to hide the torn upholstery.

19. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I buy Honda, so no. I've never been burned on a car

20. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i only buy new special edition sports cars at msrp by strong arming dealers with threats of bad csi and other tactics i learned from working in the buisness. Then i switch them out every 12-18 months breaking even or paying like 2k to drive a m5 for over a year.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *