whoever decided that a PRNDL knob was a good idea should be fired into the sun

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why does it matter on something that's shifted electronically and uses a soulless CVT anyways?

Besides companies have always experimented with different ways of shifting gears, picrel

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Because it's a bad user experience

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

How's it worse than a small selector lever?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

A transmission (typically) has three stops that control forward and backward motion
          Making it a dial you turn sideways is asinine.
          A dial is used for something you need granular control over like volume or tuning

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>A dial is used for something you need granular control over like volume or tuning
            Not really, plenty of applications for dials with set positions. The problem is the way it's implemented, trying to be so "smart" it offers no feedback. It should have mechanical positions rather than be an infinitelly spinning thing connected to software.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

it should be illegal for knobs in cars to not have physical feedback when adjusting them

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

A transmission (typically) has three stops that control forward and backward motion
            Making it a dial you turn sideways is asinine.
            A dial is used for something you need granular control over like volume or tuning

https://i.imgur.com/0PBkXAR.png

>Muscle memory, car has no haptic way of letting you know
            Eh, I guess you have a point.
            On the other hand, that's not something you'd find on an "enthusiasts" car. More likely on shopping carts where it doesn't matter anyway. No?

What car are you guys talking about? Could it be that you're just making this up? My Maverick has a dial shifter and it has a very positive click feedback. It feels like a dial on a washing machine. I was able to use it without looking after like 2 days of getting used to it, and I can feel exactly what gear it's in without looking at all times.

No, it won't shift into reverse while I am moving forwards, but you can click it to R while braking, and it remembers that decision so that as soon as you come to a stop it'll shift, then the next time you hit the gas you'll be going backwards. The brakes have more horsepower in the opposite direction of travel than the engine does, and they also have ABS, so this is theoretically also the fastest way to reverse your direction of travel. There is really no loss of functionality compared to a car that will shift into reverse while you're moving forwards. I did that in my gen 1 Focus once just to see what would happen and the front wheels locked up and the car slid and hopped. It didn't seem like a useful maneuver for any application.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>It feels like a dial on a washing machine
            So it feels like shit. And speaking of appliances...

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No, it feels tactile, clicky, and substantive.. Maybe you only buy shit washing machines because you're poor.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You must not have driven a car with a dial selector. There are notches within the dial so it’s very clear when you’re switching modes. You can’t get stuck halfway between P and D

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The fact that these guys didn't know that just proves that the morons who complain about dial shifters have never actually used them
            The simple notion that an electronically controlled transmission can get stuck between gears is laughable

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

DA has been a poorgays board where the perfect car is a 1995 Honda Civic in a manual transmission because it's all they can afford since its inception. Why should this surprise you?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>the perfect car is a 1995 Honda Civic in a manual transmission
            Correct.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>wrong wheel drive
            >microscopic engine
            ew

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

DA has been a poorgays board where the perfect car is a 1995 Honda Civic in a manual transmission because it's all they can afford since its inception. Why should this surprise you?

I've driven both and honestly, stick is where it at. May as well just admit you're not that into cars at this point if everything has to be about being a lazy c**t. A Black person could easily steal your car.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I also have driven both and liked both, especially dual-clutch systems, and both regular manual and manual with rev-matching. They all have their pros and cons.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah you're gay and that's on you.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I bet you like

>Push forward for gear up
            >Pull back for gear down

Absolutely haram.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Why does it matter on something that's shifted electronically and uses a soulless CVT anyways?
      Muscle memory, car has no haptic way of letting you know if your desired mode didn't engage (and when seconds count it often results in accidents). For example with some cars if you move to R and accelerate at the same time it won't engage, but you won't know until you look again and maybe by that point the train has already hit you.
      >Besides companies have always experimented with different ways of shifting gears, picrel
      And it was discarded for good reason

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Muscle memory, car has no haptic way of letting you know
        Eh, I guess you have a point.
        On the other hand, that's not something you'd find on an "enthusiasts" car. More likely on shopping carts where it doesn't matter anyway. No?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

It matters, you can have something like what happened to this gay happen to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7GU9lDpq8

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>that's not something you'd find on an "enthusiasts" car. More likely on shopping carts where it doesn't matter anyway

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>car has no haptic way of letting you know if your desired mode didn't engage
        The knob literally doesn't move if it doesn't engage. Why do you guys complain about things you have no experience with?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>car has no haptic way of letting you know if your desired mode didn't engage
        The knob physically cannot move if it can't go into a certain selection, and will beep and flash at you on the dash if something goes wrong.
        >(and when seconds count it often results in accidents)
        You mean as I'm driving along at 45mph I should've developed a new muscle memory to put it into... any other gear selection to avoid an accident? Things that have never happened to anyone ever in the history of time?

I drive a van with OP's gear selector thingy. Its really stupid but for NONE of the reasons you typed out.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>park lever like a slot machine
      that's fricking awesome

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>CVT
      >Soulless
      Literally the peak of innovation and engineering. Hearing the steady hum of a perfectly-optimal machine is something to marvel at

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

unfortunately the average person's moronation is revealed by the fact that engineers had to put fake shift points for idiots that have no idea how cvts work

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

They did that because people complained about drive feel. I drive in sport mode with the paddle shifters in my Corolla all the time and they did a good job of imitating the feel of gear rations, but then again I have a solid built CVT with a physical first gear. So maybe other manufacturers are alot worse.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>solid built cvt

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If he's talking about the eCVT he's right, those are bulletproof

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Toyota CVTs are pretty good because they have a physical first gear that's used during low speeds and launches. That drastically reduces the stress on them.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If he's talking about the eCVT he's right, those are bulletproof

eCVTs have nothing in common with CVTs, they should really change the name

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Why should they? They do vary the ratio continuously, without steps, and they do it electrically.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

CVT’s are gayer than your butthole flooded with aids cum.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>slips in moron

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This. A knob next to the ignition makes much more sense, having a bulky shifter in the center is just a waste of space that could be used for storage or something else

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

holy frick thats awful. im going to guess its from a mini or one of those gay tiny fiats?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>1963 Plymouth is the filename

>IS IT A FIAT

mein neger.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>intentionally acting like a moron

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

FRICKING FILENAMES
        HOW DO THEY WORK

• 2 weeks ago
      Greased Geese

the problem is they shouldve realized it was a bad idea in the 60s and let it die.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I reckon cvts should have an engine braking knob that allows you to manually decrease the gearing.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Instead of changing down a set of gear ratios you have an analogue stick that allows you to gradually lowers the gear ratio without overreving.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I reckon cvts should have an engine braking knob that allows you to manually decrease the gearing.

I came up with this idea, glad to see it's catching on

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have no resentment towards the PRNDL knob designer because I will never own a gay nu automatic cuckbox anyway.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Based

>CVT
      >Soulless
      Literally the peak of innovation and engineering. Hearing the steady hum of a perfectly-optimal machine is something to marvel at

Npc mentality

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>he can't appreciate engineering
        Npc mentality

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

better?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>driving down the freeway at 90 mph
      >reach over to press rewind on the CD player
      >transmission suddenly explodes
      heh, nothin' personal, Kid.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

moron

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>implying these ipads on wheels will actually do what you tell them to if the computer override doesn't approve it first
        lol

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

too many turning knobs in that car. recently had it as a rental, the amount of times i went for the gear selector instead of the radio volume was 1 too many.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it works for luxary cars where you want less stuff in your way and ease of use i don’t want to pull a lever in my new mercedes

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

my zf6 shifter is ok not a fan of the linkage system it loves to flog bushes at the trans end tho fixed with zipties kekv

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I almost thought about buying a Jaguar XK with one of these but I liked it. Probably because it was a little less cheap than the average one. It pops up when you turn the car on and it locks well into the modes it needs to be in.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

good. automatic trannies are for people who don't want to drive. they deserve the worst possible ux to reinforce their belief.

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

if you have a work truck where you get in and out every 1 second twisting that knob is real nice. the knob lines ups with my arm pretty good on the ram work trucks. you can even switch it to park before you are in park... it will slam when you get slow enough but its good for working, trust me.

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Wait till you see the new Tesla shifter

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *