You know what really grinds my gears? Shifting without using the clutch.

You know what really grinds my gears? Shifting without using the clutch.

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

For me. It's my stupid mother reversing, and then slamming it into drive like she's frickin stuntnan

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>insulting his own mother.
      One of the sure identifying signs of a troony.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

I love her but she's a stupid ass, just like any women in your life, you wouldn't understand it because you don't have any hoes think they're perfect.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

This is true
          All women are morons.
          Elliot Rogers gang fl

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Project harder that you didn't have a father around, homosexual.

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

YWNBAW sorry :/

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

my boomer dad does this

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

This. My dad shifts into D while the car is still creeping backwards. Don't know if that does much damage on autotragics but it's still irritating

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

It has to be doing damage because now my mom's car goes into gear with a clunk so at the very least, the mounts are destroyed because boomers wanna be cute.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>riding shotgun with any number of people who not only shift to D while still rolling back, but then also don't wait for the trans to actually engage D before adding throttle
      >rev****CLUNK*****vrrrrrroooom
      AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA STOP IT

question about coasting to a stop from the freeway in a manual

>going down the freeway at 65 in OD
      >decide to decelerate towards exit
      do i leave it in 5th/OD as i decelerate and apply brake?
      do i immediatly shift down to 4th gear at 65mph and also apply brake?
      do i immediatly shift it down to 3rd gear at 65mph and let the transmission slow the vehicle down?
      im really not sure how this engine braking shit works.... does it stress my transmission?

what about coasting in gear. does that stress my engine? it definitly seems to slow the vehicle, but i guess it also saves fuel by keeping the engine moving without injecting fuel

>stress
      Coasting in gear does not stress your engine any more than normal driving in gear does, and likely stresses it less due to the difference in forces being applied.
      >slows the vehicle
      With the engine engaged at zero throttle you are basically adding the resistance of the engine compression to the driveline's rolling resistance. The faster the engine is spinning under no throttle, the more times the resistance of the cycle compression is added and the more dramatic the effect, along with the transmission's current gear ratio either reducing (high gear) or amplifying (low gear) the torque effect.
      >saves fuel
      Depends on exactly how the fueling system is set up but yes it's possible to use less fuel by coasting in gear than coasting in neutral since the engine won't keep spinning at idle without fuel (so the ECU keeps sending fuel to maintain idle) whereas coasting in gear power delivery is effectively reversed with the turning of the wheels going through the transmission to keep the engine turning and no fuel is required to maintain idle+ revs.
      >how/when should I downshift
      Whenever it will accomplish the nature of deceleration you desire; revmatch downshift sooner for more aggressive engine braking or if you expect to soon resume acceleration within that new gear, or revmatch downshift later for a milder experience, or if you can't be arsed just coast in top gear until you're just above lugging then drop to neutral.

question about lugging engine in a manual:

when i drive in a low gear (especially in 2nd gear, and it can be felt in 3rd gear) the truck makes a low hum and also seems to jerk or like shake forward/backward almost violently.... is that bad for my engine?

like when i am driving on slow city surface streets, it feels like I am either high rpm reving/driving the truck in 2nd gear or I am lugging/jerking/shaking the truck in third gear. what is this lugging/shaking and what do i do?

another time i often feel lugging shaking is when kinda going like 10-15mph in highway traffic.
      advice?

Engines are supposed to rotate smoothly; if it's not smooth you're doing it wrong and yes lugging the engine is bad for it. Get familiar with where your engine makes its power and use your galaxy brain to choose the appropriate gear for your ground speed and torque requirements.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

>The faster the engine is spinning under no throttle, the more times the resistance of the cycle compression is added and the more dramatic the effect,
        so it is best to coast in OD, ya?
        i wonder if any hypermiler ever added an extra super high gear for coasting, that would be neat.

2. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I chuckled

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I sBlack personed

3. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

you know you can shift without clutch right

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Nobody on DA can do it without fricking something up though

4. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

idk man, shifting without the clutch really floats my boat

5. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I did this today

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

You know you get get a machine for cheap that changes oil

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

I know some people pump their oil out

I've never advocated for fumishito valves, but for you I do recommend one.

I can't get the drain plug off it's completely round. I just started the car with the filter off and let it run.

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I've never advocated for fumishito valves, but for you I do recommend one.

6. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I laughed

7. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

question about coasting to a stop from the freeway in a manual

>going down the freeway at 65 in OD
    >decide to decelerate towards exit
    do i leave it in 5th/OD as i decelerate and apply brake?
    do i immediatly shift down to 4th gear at 65mph and also apply brake?
    do i immediatly shift it down to 3rd gear at 65mph and let the transmission slow the vehicle down?
    im really not sure how this engine braking shit works.... does it stress my transmission?

what about coasting in gear. does that stress my engine? it definitly seems to slow the vehicle, but i guess it also saves fuel by keeping the engine moving without injecting fuel

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Logically you're supposed to not only slow down the car but aswell as the engine.

Personally id leave it in gear as you slow down and once the car starts shuddering and the sneed is low enough just pop that shit into neutral until full stop.

However if its in a stoplight and its been red for awhile id rev match so I can stay in gear and in the powerband just in case the light turns green.

>what about coasting in gear. does that stress my engine?
      No, you'll be fine.
      >it definitly seems to slow the vehicle, but i guess it also saves fuel by keeping the engine moving without injecting fuel
      Much like minimum wage, the ecu already detects the car is in motion and its doing the bare minimum to keep the car from stalling.

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Just leave it in 5th until you slowed down to where the engine is around 1000 rpm the. Shift into neutral and come to a stop

congrats you failed your driving test and the 60 year old woman testing you tells all her workmates about the shit driver she had that day

• 2 years ago
          Anonymous

Sure

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Just leave it in 5th until you slowed down to where the engine is around 1000 rpm the. Shift into neutral and come to a stop

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

>question about coasting to a stop from the freeway in a manual
      Change down to a random gear like 3rd halfway through or something
      I usually go from 6th to 4th then 3rd, or 5th straight to 3rd.

If I anticipate the potential need to take off before coming to a complete stop (like a light that's been red a while) then I also go from 3rd to 2nd to stay in gear as long as possible before stopping

>do i immediatly shift it down to 3rd gear at 65mph and let the transmission slow the vehicle down?
      Give it gas to rev-match or you'll wear out the clutch and make a jerky annoying ride
      Engine braking is harmless. I use it on long downhills to avoid riding the brakes.
      I've gone down long hills at 70mph in like 3rd gear before. You obviously don't wanna be redlining it but 5k rpm is fine. Remember your rev limiter will do nothing for engine braking, it can only restrict the fuel supply, you can overrev and grenade your engine

• 2 years ago
      Anonymous

any other answer besides "heal and toe rev matched downshifts while braking" is wrong and homosexual

• 2 years ago
        Anonymous

>"heal and toe rev matched downshifts while braking"
        could you explain what this means to me?

8. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

question about lugging engine in a manual:

when i drive in a low gear (especially in 2nd gear, and it can be felt in 3rd gear) the truck makes a low hum and also seems to jerk or like shake forward/backward almost violently.... is that bad for my engine?

like when i am driving on slow city surface streets, it feels like I am either high rpm reving/driving the truck in 2nd gear or I am lugging/jerking/shaking the truck in third gear. what is this lugging/shaking and what do i do?

another time i often feel lugging shaking is when kinda going like 10-15mph in highway traffic.
    advice?

9. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

For me it's shifting with the clutch.
    >t. Worn out old borg warner with 70s tier synchros

10. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

shift faster

11. 2 years ago
    Anonymous

is this actually the first time for anyone to make this joke here?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *